Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 23 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 2nd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know this is going to sound dodgy, and well, it does, but I initiated my demo and then didn't get to really use it before the week dried up due to an out of planning occurrence, is there anyway to reset the week, or get another week, as I have a job now I could really run this through it's paces on.

I liked what I heard from my 10 minutes of using it though. I use Logic Pro and only own the Sonalaskis EQs & Comps asides from the Logic built in stuff, so would this really benefit me anyway? Nice price though!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➡️
I own the UAD plugins.
Seems that other people have similar "problems".
I found this in the UAD forum UAD Forums • View topic - Cytomic "The Glue" compressor
I cannot verify that the Glue "muffles the high" but... May be you can improve your DSP algorithm to the release to make all people happy

People in this UAD forum will try to borrow a Buss Compressor from SSL to do a head-to-head between the new 4K, the Duende and you compressor. Could be interesting what people prefer
Thanks for the link, I look forward to the test results. And to check the examples for how they differ. Once I have set up the web page I will put together my own examples as well.

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 ➡️
I know this is going to sound dodgy, and well, it does, but I initiated my demo and then didn't get to really use it before the week dried up due to an out of planning occurrence, is there anyway to reset the week, or get another week, as I have a job now I could really run this through it's paces on.

I liked what I heard from my 10 minutes of using it though. I use Logic Pro and only own the Sonalaskis EQs & Comps asides from the Logic built in stuff, so would this really benefit me anyway? Nice price though!
The v1.0.12 will reset your trial period for another two weeks. It will be available as soon as possible.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How long does it take to complete a manual paypal transfer?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard ➡️
How long does it take to complete a manual paypal transfer?
I'm pretty sure that the order gets to me within minutes of being made if you are all set up with paypal. I process the orders twice a day if not more, the latest batch just went out then.

Andrew Simper
Old 3rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➡️
I own the UAD plugins.
Seems that other people have similar "problems".
I found this in the UAD forum UAD Forums • View topic - Cytomic "The Glue" compressor
I cannot verify that the Glue "muffles the high" but... May be you can improve your DSP algorithm to the release to make all people happy

People in this UAD forum will try to borrow a Buss Compressor from SSL to do a head-to-head between the new 4K, the Duende and you compressor. Could be interesting what people prefer
Are you quoting this from the UAD Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
But as i said: soundwise the 4k really beats "the glue" easily: it doesn´t narrow down the stereo image as much and it doesn´t muffles the highs as "the glue" does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl
Do you mean that "the glue" actually does glue a mix better than the 4K? Did another comparison yesterday and felt that the glue really glues things nicely, perhaps even better than the 4K, so i was wondering if you experienced /felt the same.
How can he make 'everyone' happy when they're not even sure themselves?

R.
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Ol' Betsey
You quoted me from the UAD forum so i will reply.

The narrowing from stereo image has been solved.
Andy did some changes after i was complaining about the stereo narrowing thing and he really improved it great.

The "high muffling" is compared to the UAD still there, but also not as much anymore.

So, what you quoted above is "old news"
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hi ADL,

That's good. And I'm glad you're now happier with certain aspects that you were clearly being referenced to in the two (mine included) above posts.

To be honest, it was the tone of 4damind's post that kinda set me off.

He clearly references your criticism and I was just pointing the contradictions in that reference.

Nothing aimed at you per se.

And enough of me using the word reference!

Take care ADL and keep up the good work Andy!

R.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
When solving circuit equations there is always some tolerance that when you are under that value you say "I'm done". I set this value to large so for longer attacks it didn't "converge" to the same value as the circuit. I decreased this value in v1.0.10 onwards to make things more accurate and everyone immediately could hear the difference. I'm glad you guys have good ears to pick these things up, I'm really impressed!

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➡️
@Ol' Betsey

Andy did some changes after i was complaining about the stereo narrowing thing and he really improved it great.

The "high muffling" is compared to the UAD still there, but also not as much anymore.

I'm really interested to find out the cause of the "high muffling" you can hear. After launch I will have time to generate audio examples with The Glue, analog units, and uad plugins and at the same time double check any possible differences between them all.

Andrew Simper
Old 4th June 2009 | Show parent
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➡️
Hi ADL,

That's good. And I'm glad you're now happier with certain aspects that you were clearly being referenced to in the two (mine included) above posts.

To be honest, it was the tone of 4damind's post that kinda set me off.

He clearly references your criticism and I was just pointing the contradictions in that reference.

Nothing aimed at you per se.

And enough of me using the word reference!

Take care ADL and keep up the good work Andy!

R.
No offense taken, just wanted to share my experience with the newer version of the glue, which i am very satisfied with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
I'm really interested to find out the cause of the "high muffling" you can hear. After launch I will have time to generate audio examples with The Glue, analog units, and uad plugins and at the same time double check any possible differences between them all.

Andrew Simper
Hi Andy!
My demo for the UAD 4K has expired, so i can´t do a side by side test anymore. Now when i think about my testing back then I seem to remember that the high muffling wasn´t so much comparing the 4K and the glue, but more comparing the glue and the "Precision Buss Comp".
The Precision Buss Comp isn´t particular modelled after the SSL and is known for beeing very clean / not colouring. So it is kind a unfair comparing these two, but the PBC comes with a presetfolder called "SSL 4000" or something, that´s why i was comparing the PBC and the glue.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl ➡️
@Ol' Betsey

Hi Adl - I personally dont think there is any 'high muffling' going on with the Glue - actually I think its the UAD 4k that has something added in the HF which leads one to think that the Glue is duller if you compare side by side. But actually the UAD 4k has a little extra sparkle. Not sure why or how but there it is. UAD is adding to the signal IMO whereas The Glue maintains what you put into it. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to whoever to decide...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ andy

Mac RTAS tomorrow ???
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
@adl I think I found the reason for the "high muffling". It's think it's because I didn't take enough care with the low pass filters post envelope follower. The filter I was using was an allpole design which are great for low frequencies, but up high they just don't cut it. I've solved some equations with the help of a good friend of mine Antti Huovilainen and come up with the following design, which is the best tradeoff between amplitude response and phase response. I'll add this new filter code to the v1.0.12 for everyone to check out. The following is a graph at sample rate 44100:

For v1.1 I have quite a few ideas for different sidechain filtering options which should please.

Andrew Simper
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel ➡️
@ andy

Mac RTAS tomorrow ???
Hopefully I can still get it done by tomorrow, but this week hasn't been good as I've had the cytomic web server account reset for some unknown reason. Try get it all back in place for tomorrow night so people have something over the weekend.

Andrew Simper
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
@adl I think I found the reason for the "high muffling". It's think it's because I didn't take enough care with the low pass filters post envelope follower. The filter I was using was an allpole design which are great for low frequencies, but up high they just don't cut it. I've solved some equations with the help of a good friend of mine Antti Huovilainen and come up with the following design, which is the best tradeoff between amplitude response and phase response. I'll add this new filter code to the v1.0.12 for everyone to check out. The following is a graph at sample rate 44100:

For v1.1 I have quite a few ideas for different sidechain filtering options which should please.

Andrew Simper
Hello Andrew,

Quick question on this. When you emulate a hardware piece do you usually do it at 44.1? Do you ever try to do it at 96k or 192k? And if you do it @ 44.1, how do you convert them to 96k? Do you have to re-do the emu? Sorry if this is a dumb question but just wondering if why people think plugins don't sound close to the "Real Thing" is because we continue to do them at 44.1 and not 96k.

Like to know your thought on this.

Thanx
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanx Andy!
Really appreciate your afford to make the glue better and better thumbsup

Looking forward to the next update
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➡️
Hello Andrew,

Quick question on this. When you emulate a hardware piece do you usually do it at 44.1? Do you ever try to do it at 96k or 192k? And if you do it @ 44.1, how do you convert them to 96k? Do you have to re-do the emu? Sorry if this is a dumb question but just wondering if why people think plugins don't sound close to the "Real Thing" is because we continue to do them at 44.1 and not 96k.

Like to know your thought on this.

Thanx
Apart from quantization errors due to really small numbers, the higher the sample rate the easier things are to model since you are further away from the highest frequency you can represent. Approaching this top frequency is the same thing as approaching an infinite frequency in analog, which warps everything out of whack.

In code it's very simple to support higher sample rates (quantization errors excluded). All you deal with in code are numbers like : cutoff / samplerate, so for the above filter 15900 / 44100 = 0.36. If you double the sample rate it's a simple matter of using 15900 / 88200 = 0.18 instead. This number gets fed into other functions to get the actual coefficients you use in the filter.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy,

So are we lookin' good for the RTAS release today???

Thanks!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi ➡️
Andy,

So are we lookin' good for the RTAS release today???

Thanks!
Working on it now, but it will be late into the night before it's ready, but it is coming!

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good! Good luck thumbsup
Old 6th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi,
Have spent a bit of time with the plugin so far, and am really impressed. A bit annoyed about the demo not being a fully functioning version, however I obviously get a gist of the sound of it still.

Sounds kinda like the Chameleon 7720 Hardware Unit when I listened the other day, but slightly better.

Really made the whole mix sound great though. Will definitely buy I think !

Cheers,
Chris
Old 7th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Working on it now, but it will be late into the night before it's ready, but it is coming!

Andrew Simper

news update?
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel ➡️
news update?
I have the new builds all ready to go but because of trouble with my binary delivery system on the server I can't send them to everyone. It's really frustrating for me to have it all done but not be able to send it to everyone. I'm still working flat out to get the new delivery system all working on the server but it's still going to take a few more days I think. It's meant re-writing my entire copy protection system :(

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think this thread has given us all insight to the hard work and frustration developers have to go through to provide up with these great tools. And I myself am very grateful that there are people like Andy out there only asking $99 for there hard work.

Thanks again Andy I plan on pushing all my fellow engineers to invest in the glue once it's officially released
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+ 1 to that.

I've been checking the thread every 5 minutes since Friday.

Didn't want to post 'cos we can all see how hard Andy's been working.

Nice one Mr. Simper....

May you become RICH !!!!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore ➡️
I think this thread has given us all insight to the hard work and frustration developers have to go through to provide up with these great tools....
...and by extension, how vile it is that people pirate their work.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
how vile it is that people pirate their work.

- c
+1
YES! and we musicians/producers/writers etc. sit in the same boat

back to the glue

andy, don´t stress, we can wait! good things need time.
Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm following this thread also. I've tested 1.0.11 on my mix buss and like it better than any of the other compressors i currently own (my other ones aren't intended for the mix buss tho), but it is stripping the top end from the mix quite a bit. Will demo 1.0.12 and see how the sound changes.
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow, finallu an RTAS version

I love how the meter respond in the RTAS and latet version. Seem so accurate.
📝 Reply