Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #571
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Hey Andrew,
I bought the glue compressor and it's really an excellent tool! I have a question in regard to the range knob, how does it work exactly? Does it limit the maximal possible gainreduction to the adjusted number? Sorry if that has been already covered in this thread, I havn't had the time to read all.

Thanks
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #572
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Range knob limits both the maximum depth of compression and the way attacks sound by making them more open and natural sounding. Because of the original analog compressor has offsets to compensate for the different ratios the Range knob is only accurate to within about +- 1 dB. The way I have implemented is how you would do it in an actual circuit and that's why it's not that accurate, the up side is I can make a mod to the original to give it a Range knob, and the sidechain hp, and the wet mix, and the extra attack and release times. I made sure all the "mods" I did were actually real mods that can be done in analog too, since these typically sound best.

Andrew Simper
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #573
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In addition I find for mastering applications setting the Range knob to around -10 to -20 dB gives great results, with -15 dB being my initial setting. For heavier bus or direct mic applications I typically use around -40 dB, and for stupid pumping on synths for rhythmic effects I use Full.

The presets that will soon be available definitely put both the Range knob and the sidechain hp through their paces for mastering applications. Congrats to Gareth Green for really doing a fantastic job on them.

Andrew Simper
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #574
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks Andy.

PS got txt message will phone over weekend when im not in studio.

Cheers

Gareth
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #575
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Cool, thank you Andrew for you explanation!
So just that I get it right in practical. Say I have a very dynamic mix say with a loud chorus and a very quiet verse. If the compressor is set right for the quieter part it may get pumping to much in the louder part. Now if I adjust the amount of compressing in the quieter part right, do I just have to lower the range knob in the loud part until it stops pumping and that all without affecting the qieter part? That would be a great feature if it works that way.

Thanks again!
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #576
adl
Lives for gear
 
adl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Andy! Just wanted to drop by and thank you again for "the glue".
I enjoy this Comp so much on my mixes (techhouse).

Really looking forward to the official release, even it works so flawless with Live 8 on my Win XP machine. thumbsup
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #577
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Andy,

I already purchased The Glue but I would also like to purchase it for a colleague of mine. Is this possible and how exactly would I go about doing so?

P.S.
How's the RTAS comin'along?
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #578
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Izzi,

Thanks for putting your money were it counts You can include an alternative email address and registration name in the message of the paypal transfer and I'll register The Glue with that information. You can double up on any of the information.

Andrew Simper
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
  #579
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi ➑️
P.S.
How's the RTAS comin'along?
There is some good news there. I have teamed up with Julien who has written an Rtas version of his awesome plugin Pianoteq. He also uses the Juce framework so we are sharing bug fixes and additions with each other. Still no fixed date but things are looking up.

Andrew Simper
Old 16th May 2009 | Show parent
  #580
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the help Andy!
Again, lookin' forward to the RTAS release and so are my colleagues! thumbsup
Old 17th May 2009 | Show parent
  #581
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hi there, I've been waiting for a plug like this for ages! I've tried the demo and absolutely love it. I hope you haven't answered this already (I skimmed the post but may have missed it) but am wondering if you'll have an alternative payment method to Paypal available as I've had some bad experiences with them and I really want to buy this plugin. Thanks!
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
  #582
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Hi Andy,
can you explain how the external side chain function works. Would it be similar to the "key in" on something like the compadre?

Since side chaining in Nuendo is a pain I have to insert compadre on a aux track and feed the 2 sources left and right (kik & bass), would this be feasible in Glue?

And i don't understand how you can get 4 inputs into this thing?

Sorry am not highly technical but a lay mans explanation would really help me.

Thanks

respect
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
  #583
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Skeens's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Superb compressor, really musical and a wide range of settings to dial in just the right sound. Just purchased my copy so eagerly looking forward dot using it on this weeks' sessions.
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
  #584
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty ➑️
Hi there, I've been waiting for a plug like this for ages! I've tried the demo and absolutely love it. I hope you haven't answered this already (I skimmed the post but may have missed it) but am wondering if you'll have an alternative payment method to Paypal available as I've had some bad experiences with them and I really want to buy this plugin. Thanks!
Once the web shop is done you will be able to pay with credit and debit cards but till then paypal transfers are the only way sorry. The web shop is a very high priority as there are many people waiting till it's done and believe me I'll be happy to have the whole business automated so fewer mistakes are made.

Andrew Simper
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
  #585
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha33y ➑️
Hi Andy,
can you explain how the external side chain function works. Would it be similar to the "key in" on something like the compadre?

Since side chaining in Nuendo is a pain I have to insert compadre on a aux track and feed the 2 sources left and right (kik & bass), would this be feasible in Glue?

And i don't understand how you can get 4 inputs into this thing?

Sorry am not highly technical but a lay mans explanation would really help me.

Thanks

respect
I can't say for Nuendo but I know what happens in Cubase 5. I declare I can handle both 2 in 1 out, and 4 in 2 out. When you make a quad bus (group track) to do stereo compression with an external sidechain everything is fine since the Cubase matches the 4 in 2 out version to the quad bus and just has the stereo out. When you add a stereo bus (group track) to do mono compression with an external sidechain Cubase fails to step through all possible speaker configs to get the 2 in 1 out version and instead instatiates the 4 in 2 out version and sends black audio to the external sidechain input. All they need to do is say "which one do you want, the 4 in 2 out, or the 2 in 1 out?" but they don't.

If it's any concelation it's not that much different in terms of cpu to do mono or stereo compression because of sse2 so using the 4 in 2 out isn't too bad a way to go.

Andrew Simper
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #586
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hi Andy,

Are we any closer to an RTAS release?

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #587
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I can't say for Nuendo but I know what happens in Cubase 5. I declare I can handle both 2 in 1 out, and 4 in 2 out. When you make a quad bus (group track) to do stereo compression with an external sidechain everything is fine since the Cubase matches the 4 in 2 out version to the quad bus and just has the stereo out. When you add a stereo bus (group track) to do mono compression with an external sidechain Cubase fails to step through all possible speaker configs to get the 2 in 1 out version and instead instatiates the 4 in 2 out version and sends black audio to the external sidechain input. All they need to do is say "which one do you want, the 4 in 2 out, or the 2 in 1 out?" but they don't.

If it's any concelation it's not that much different in terms of cpu to do mono or stereo compression because of sse2 so using the 4 in 2 out isn't too bad a way to go.

Andrew Simper
Hi Andrew,

On a similar note, I am trying out your demo in Logic. I am pretty new to all of this so I was looking for some form of a manual on how to use The Glue on your site.

Will you be, or do you have, a manual for this for low brow people like me?

Thanks a lot.

Rock (my first ever post)

Last edited by Rockshamrover; 20th May 2009 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Virgin territory
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #588
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshamrover ➑️
Hi Andrew,

On a similar note, I am trying out your demo in Logic. I am pretty new to all of this so I was looking for some form of a manual on how to use The Glue on your site.

Will you be, or do you have, a manual for this for low brow people like me?

Thanks a lot.

Rock (my first ever post)
Manual will be available when it's released proper. This is still the beta version i think.
I'm in the same boat as you, however there were some posts earlier on in the thread where some dudes mentioned some settings that really worked for me.
Something about getting the needle to really move with the thresholg and make up gain and then dropping the range to between 10 and 20. Set ration to taste, quick attack, release to taste. Sounded lovely to me.

Best of luck!
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #589
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi ➑️
Hi Andy,

Are we any closer to an RTAS release?

Thanks!
I haven't spent any time working on the RTAS version since my last update. I have been working on other tasks to get The Glue ready for release in it's existing formats.

Andrew Simper
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #590
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The presets are all done and I'm finishing up the manual right now. The manual will be publically available and include a few presets listed as text so that people using the Trial can use them as the Trial version has no load. The factory presets will come bundled inside the binary and will auto install themselves to your presets folder on first run making sure not to overwrite any existing presets.

Andrew Simper
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #591
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
I haven't spent any time working on the RTAS version since my last update. I have been working on other tasks to get The Glue ready for release in it's existing formats.

Andrew Simper
Bummer...
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #592
Lives for gear
 
mlange's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Andy-

Perhaps you could reassess your RTAS delivery timeline, as many of us were waiting for early May with great anticipation.
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #593
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange ➑️
Andy-

Perhaps you could reassess your RTAS delivery timeline, as many of us were waiting for early May with great anticipation.
+1 thumbsup
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #594
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange ➑️
Andy-

Perhaps you could reassess your RTAS delivery timeline, as many of us were waiting for early May with great anticipation.
I cannot at the moment give a fixed date for the RTAS version. I did get an RTAS version done for May but I wasn't counting on their being a) redraw issues and b) no mutiple bus support in Juce, both of these issues meant I had to hold off on releasing it.

Fixing the redraw bugs in Juce should only take two days tops. The harder task to estimate on is adding support to Juce for multiple buses in RTAS. I would guess this should take one week total, but it could take longer. Since this is an unknown I am finishing the web page, manual, presets and other fixed time tasks to launch. I will tap away at the RTAS in any spare time I have as I understand that there are many people eagerly awaiting one to try out.

Andrew Simper
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #595
Lives for gear
 
JustinAiken's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I don't know about everyone else... but I'd prefer a RTAS version without sidechain than a wrapped VST with...

As in, since it's a beta anyways, if you wanted to release the RTAS as soon as the redraw is fixed, I sure wouldn't complain....
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #596
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➑️
I don't know about everyone else... but I'd prefer a RTAS version without sidechain than a wrapped VST with...

As in, since it's a beta anyways, if you wanted to release the RTAS as soon as the redraw is fixed, I sure wouldn't complain....
I agree but sidechain is very good to have!
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #597
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Pimp ➑️
Manual will be available when it's released proper. This is still the beta version i think.
I'm in the same boat as you, however there were some posts earlier on in the thread where some dudes mentioned some settings that really worked for me.
Something about getting the needle to really move with the thresholg and make up gain and then dropping the range to between 10 and 20. Set ration to taste, quick attack, release to taste. Sounded lovely to me.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the info Lawn Pimp. Yeah it sure does sound very nice, I will definitely be buying the full version.
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #598
Cytomic
 
andy-cytomic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➑️
I don't know about everyone else... but I'd prefer a RTAS version without sidechain than a wrapped VST with...

As in, since it's a beta anyways, if you wanted to release the RTAS as soon as the redraw is fixed, I sure wouldn't complain....
The wrapped vst has no external sidechain since FXpansion have not written the code to support multiple buses for RTAS either.

My concern with releasing a version without multiple buses is backwards compatibility. If I release a version with only stereo support then write the full version it might be a situation where I have to then release two versions of the RTAS plugin to allow the stereo version to still work in peoples projects which I would really like to avoid.

Andrew Simper
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #599
Lives for gear
 
JustinAiken's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
My concern with releasing a version without multiple buses is backwards compatibility. If I release a version with only stereo support then write the full version it might be a situation where I have to then release two versions of the RTAS plugin to allow the stereo version to still work in peoples projects which I would really like to avoid.
That would be a nightmare! Didn't think of that... I'll just be patient...
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent
  #600
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Yep, +1 on that good buddy!!!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615433
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39199
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 74346
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181834
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump