Quantcast
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good and very different from the URS/Waves/Duende.
BTW... the Waves G comp sounds silly???
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy ➡️
BTW... the Waves G comp sounds silly???
I think so too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon ➡️
I think so too!
Really? I've gotten pretty good use out of it on parallel drum bus and 2-mix.

I think the Waves API 2500 is much better, but I still like it. Hmmm...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy ➡️
Really? I've gotten pretty good use out of it on parallel drum bus and 2-mix.

I think the Waves API 2500 is much better, but I still like it. Hmmm...
Well, it's a subjective thing of course. To each their own. I own a Smart C1 and the Waves SSL just sounds weird and bad to me. The Smart/SSL sound is a special sound and I just don't think Waves comes close. The Duende is much closer, but... man, I just don't want to deal with the hardware.

I agree the Waves API 2500 is much better (and closer to the original hardware, although not quite all the way there). To me, the Waves SSL series is a failed sound. But that is me and my particular tastes. I totally respect other people's experiences with it. If you like it, that's totally cool.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
But that is me and my particular tastes. I totally respect other people's experiences with it. If you like it, that's totally cool.
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, it's a subjective thing of course. To each their own. I own a Smart C1 and the Waves SSL just sounds weird and bad to me. The Smart/SSL sound is a special sound and I just don't think Waves comes close. The Duende is much closer, but... man, I just don't want to deal with the hardware....

- c
I have the Smart C1 too and agree about the Waves comparison on buss. But I think the Waves sounds great on other things than mix buss.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, it's a subjective thing of course. To each their own. I own a Smart C1 and the Waves SSL just sounds weird and bad to me. The Smart/SSL sound is a special sound and I just don't think Waves comes close. The Duende is much closer, but... man, I just don't want to deal with the hardware.

I agree the Waves API 2500 is much better (and closer to the original hardware, although not quite all the way there). To me, the Waves SSL series is a failed sound. But that is me and my particular tastes. I totally respect other people's experiences with it. If you like it, that's totally cool.

- c
That makes sense. If I had a Smart (or a hardware 2500), I'm pretty sure that would be the end of plug comps on the 2-bus!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This plug looks great , cann't wait to give it a go .......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
another vote that the price-tag is really appealing.

A great simple plugin, hope it's really CPU light.

the 30ms attack time doesn't bother me, as long as it excels at it's intended application. (shorter attack times)
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I could use it right now. I would buy it right now. The HP side-chain and the mix control is exactly what I want in this sort of processor.

+1 for longer attack just to make it more versatile.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When will the demo be available?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➡️
When will the demo be available?
He mentioned in the KVR forum that the demo version will come after the initial release so I guess the sound demos will have to do for now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
where is the demo !?
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccazzo ➡️
So what makes this different from say Waves , Duende and other SSL mixbuss emulations ? And no TDM version ? makes it hard to compete if the sound isn´t fantastic. And the website only leads to a picture ? ? .
I'll let other people make comparisons with existing plugins. The Glue features a 0.01 mS attack time, a Range knob to naturally limit the compression in a much better way than using the Mix knob - these are very useful additions to the original design, especially for mastering applications. It's using an implicit euler + newton raphson non-linear solver, which is what is used by qucs (Qucs project: screenshots) but I have optimised it hugely so it only takes around 2% per instance on my macmini core 2 duo 1.8GHz. I also spent ages getting the needle graphics looking as close as possible to the original, which I find critical for use. The needle absolutely slams across the screen when you push the compressor hard.

When you push it very hard and it behaves just like the real deal as well. Here are some basic audio examples:
Index of /AudioExamples/TheGlue

This example shows off the Range knob. The same limiting setting has been applied to each sample, first dry then wet (thanks Gareth for the loops!!!):
http://www.cytomic.com/AudioExamples...DrumsLimit.mp3

This example slams the same loops with a more aggressive setting, in particular listen to how the crashes carry through the compression:
http://www.cytomic.com/AudioExamples...cDrumsComp.mp3

Andrew Simper

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 14th February 2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
Here are some basic audio examples
all demos sound very good so far thumbsup
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon ➡️
The demos sound quite interesting, but almost everything is pushed too hard for my taste.
Check the limiting example I posted just before, which is compressing around 6-10 dB but in a subtle way that just levels everything out. This was done using the Range knob to back off the compression applied in a very natural sounding way. The settings were 0.01 mS for attack, and 0.3 S for release, and a range of -12 dB, fully wet.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andy, how did you manage to keep the relation between the transients?
didnt see it in any other plug till now
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➡️
Andy, how did you manage to keep the relation between the transients?
didnt see it in any other plug till now
I can't take credit for how the transients are contained and limited in such an even and transparent way, credit must go to the people that designed the circuit I modelled for that. So if you want to know how it happens, just look here (edit: gyraf didn't design the circuit either, but they do have a publicly available schematic for it):
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl_sch.gif

Andrew Simper

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 14th February 2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can't take credit for how the transients are contained and limited in such an even and transparent way, credit must go to the people that designed the circuit I modelled for that. So if you want to know how it happens, just look here (edit: gyraf didn't design the circuit either, but they do have a publicly available schematic for it):
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl_sch.gif

Andrew Simper
As an owner of a Gyraf SSL Clone, this is interesting to me that you modeled the plug-in off the same schematic that the Gyraf was also sampling from.
I'm quite eager to use this plug-in now.

Although i do wonder how plug-in modeling fits into Gyraf's whole "any for-profit use of the information on these pages is strictly prohibited" bit.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➡️
As an owner of a Gyraf SSL Clone, this is interesting to me that you modeled the plug-in off the same schematic that the Gyraf was also sampling from.
I'm quite eager to use this plug-in now.

Although i do wonder how plug-in modeling fits into Gyraf's whole "any for-profit use of the information on these pages is strictly prohibited" bit.
Through FXpansion I am under NDA to SSL, so for The Glue I haven't used any information I found out under NDA with them.

I have already contacted Gyraf audio about doing a model just out of courtesy. The idea behind the schematic is not copyright, and doing a model of a circuit doesn't infringe on any copyright or patents. I cannot print a copy of their schematic and sell it, or build a compressor based on that schematic and sell it, since that would infringe copyright law. I can't reproduce any information they have done since they own the copyright, which is why I can only provide a url back to their web page. On top of all that I have actually redesigned the whole circuit as well, and my model is based on the new design.

I find it very odd that you can do a model of an analog bit of kit and make it sound just like the original and you are completely in the clear, but if you make your graphics look like the original it's a copyright infringement! I would have throught that the sound is more important than how it looks, but I suppose that's just me since it certainly isn't covered in law. The world is an odd place.

Andrew Simper
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➡️

Saturday Night Live - All Videos - Newest - Video - NBC.com
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can you give us an ETA for release?

- c
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 ➡️
nothing against your product andy, it looks good. but i find it ridiculous to have such early announcements for plugins now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy Media ➡️
Dunno about that . . . Nothing wrong with some early press, and to be fair , I know this will be out very soon . Just because you can't tolerate it , doesn't mean that everyone holds the same opinion . This is Andy's first plugin as his own company. It's just as much about making people aware of the new company on the scene...
Johnny
Johnny has hit it spot on. I have worked my guts out on this plugin and have no income coming in, and no budget for doing full page ads etc. This is my advertising. I need to rely upon word of mouth and good will to get my product known. I try to answer all questions honestly and in enough detail to be useful. I've kept the press release to be within two months of the actual release, since I figured that is the kind of time it takes for the word to spread.

Quote:
Can you give us an ETA for release?
- c
I am still on target for before the end of Q1 2009 (ie end of March). It could be earlier but I prefer to set a later date I am confident of and if it's ealier people will be happy rather than dissapointed it's post the date I've said.

Andrew Simper

Last edited by andy-cytomic; 15th February 2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Added expected date
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
send pm if you need a beta tester

Quote:
Johnny has hit it spot on. I have worked my guts out on this plugin and have no income coming in, and no budget for doing full page ads etc. This is my advertising. I need to rely upon word of mouth and good will to get my product known. I try to answer all questions honestly and in enough detail to be useful. I've kept the press release to be within two months of the actual release, since I figured that is the kind of time it takes for the word to spread.

I am still on target for before the end of Q1 2009 (ie end of March). It could be earlier but I prefer to set a later date I am confident of and if it's ealier people will be happy rather than dissapointed it's post the date I've said.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
...This is my advertising. I need to rely upon word of mouth and good will to get my product known...

Well, you came to the right place for that! I can't wait to try it. I wish you success...

-SD
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'd guess that’s more due to branding more then anything else . Plugin recognition seems to be a big thing . If it looks like an SSL , it makes the buyer think of SSL and thus quality and such . It feels like more of a knock off to the maker and can dilute a brand if the products are weak in nature . Generally gear likeness really helps . Makes big budget engineers / studio feel happy about spending money, especially on pricy ones .

If a product sounds like another, that can be very subjective . And who's to say it's made the same way . Then you have circuits vs coding . They might be able to patent the circuit as an implementation , but not a replication of it in code . Apples and oranges .

Definitely glad that’s the way it is, and that it doesn't get in the way of you making this awesome plugin !

Johnny

Quote:
I find it very odd that you can do a model of an analog bit of kit and make it sound just like the original and you are completely in the clear, but if you make your graphics look like the original it's a copyright infringement! I would have throught that the sound is more important than how it looks, but I suppose that's just me since it certainly isn't covered in law. The world is an odd place.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 ➡️
Hi Andy,

Looks real nice, but no Autofade? That would be a dealmaker for sure.
Why Autofade? Are you mixing OTB?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint ➡️
It's already different in one very important respect: $99 thumbsup

It will certainly be interesting to demo it when it's ready.
Plus that Waves SSL compressor doesn't sound good.. IMO
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
On top of he $99 price - will there be AUP costs?

Andys Update Plan?

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The only WUPing going down will be in sound quality haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
On top of he $99 price - will there be AUP costs?

Andys Update Plan?

📝 Reply