Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 19 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 14th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to do a Distressor, I think they sound awesome. I have about 10 solid options for my next plugin at this stage. I'm just letting all the ideas percolate in the back of my head since I need to launch the glue and get the rtas version done as well.

Andrew Simper
Wow Andy... I have to agree that a Distressor would be awesome!!!
When are you likely to have the 'far sale' part of your website up? I have had a couple of problems with paypal and was keen to just wait with the 7 days of trial have have remaining.

Regards,
Matt
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can I just plus one the interest in a Distressor emulation - i've heard a couple, but they've not really cut it up to the original and from the sound of things Andy, you've got an ear for getting it right!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Another +1 on the Distressor thumbsup
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would very much like a really really good emulation of the Thermionic Culture Culture Vulture. But, well, perhaps it's just me... =)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 ➑️
Another +1 on the Distressor thumbsup
And another one.

I just crushed a drum bus for the first time with The Glue. I usually do this with the Sonalksis comp and mix it back with the natural channel. I'm pretty sure The Glue will replace the Sonalksis.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
To do a model I insist on two things (1) access to the original hardware (2) the matching schematic for it. The pcb layout also helps but it's easy enough to work around without that if you have the schematic. Once I have made my model I do listening tests and also plot voltages with a scope to make sure they look the same and sound the same and if it doesn't then I make my model include more detail from the circuit.

I'm pretty sure the distressor schematic is confidential, and with Universal Audio doing a model I sure they will not take kindly to someone else doing one with regards giving me access to their schematics. So if getting access to the schematics is problematic, like someone has already suggested, I could model all the original units that the distressor is modeling.

Once I have done a few models and the reputation of Cytomic has increased I'm sure some doors will open with regards this sorta stuff so I'm happy being patient and not force things if they aren't happening.

Andrew Simper
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
IMHO, being in the sub $100 price range gives you the flexibility that companies like Waves and UA don't have.

Massey's CT4 sounds nothing like any other analog piece I've tried but I still love it. And many others agree.

I would suggest making your own classic and not fight with the big boys for emulation.

The distressor is a great product but I can see making a compressor that is every bit as useful without actually emulating it. YMMV.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
To do a model I insist on two things (1) access to the original hardware (2) the matching schematic for it. The pcb layout also helps but it's easy enough to work around without that if you have the schematic. Once I have made my model I do listening tests and also plot voltages with a scope to make sure they look the same and sound the same and if it doesn't then I make my model include more detail from the circuit.

I'm pretty sure the distressor schematic is confidential, and with Universal Audio doing a model I sure they will not take kindly to someone else doing one with regards giving me access to their schematics. So if getting access to the schematics is problematic, like someone has already suggested, I could model all the original units that the distressor is modeling.

Once I have done a few models and the reputation of Cytomic has increased I'm sure some doors will open with regards this sorta stuff so I'm happy being patient and not force things if they aren't happening.

Andrew Simper
Well you have at least one follower... The Glue convinced me totally!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's weird. This plug will not allow SX3 to open for me. With the dll in the vst folder cubase cycles through the startup, then just disappears- never starts. Take the dll out of the folder and everything starts as it should. This is on XP sp2. Must be something wacky about my computer setup.

Oh well. I keep feeling intrigued, but I'll stop now. Glad so many are enjoying the plug.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica ➑️
It's weird. This plug will not allow SX3 to open for me. With the dll in the vst folder cubase cycles through the startup, then just disappears- never starts. Take the dll out of the folder and everything starts as it should. This is on XP sp2. Must be something wacky about my computer setup.

Oh well. I keep feeling intrigued, but I'll stop now. Glad so many are enjoying the plug.
I am not surprised to hear this as the framework I'm using called Juce, which is meant to handle host wrapping. I think I am the only person to use it for a compressor with external sidechain processing, so it has failed to work in that capacity for vst, au and now rtas as well. I have re-written the entire i/o handling code in Juce now which will be available in v1.0.12 of The Glue. Hopefully this will address backwards compatibility issues with older versions of Cubase.

Andrew Simper
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's weird. This plug will not allow SX3 to open for me. .

Works in SX3 here on SP 3.
gem
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
works in sx3 here on xp sp2.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Are you using a cpu with sse2?

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looking forward to the Glue in RTAS as well over here, but take your time to get it right!

I'll throw a -1 for a Distressor plug.

A) Distressors don't really cost that much, and are readily available both new and used
B) IMO your 2nd plug should NOT be a compressor....
C) Why try and emulate a box that's already emulating something else?

I'de LOVE to see a killer PCM42 type delay in plug form. The one from PSP is.....eh..., and almost anything else requires you to buy an entire "bundle", and/or has an overly convoluted GUI.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
let me respectfully disagree, the glue is awesome, it have that sll color and offer a really usable and clever form of compression ITB, been demoing it for almost a week now, I'll buy it asap cause it's one of the best "mo balls" plugin compressors I've ever heard.

I think having a distressor emulation from Cytomic would be wonderfull. Cytomic seems to know what they doing when it comes to plugin compression and the distressor is one of the most respected/versatile comp in the hardware world. It would be a wonderfull thing to have at that level of quality for the ITB mixer.

a delay? there's plethora of good plugin delays already, good native character compressors? not so much + the good ones are far from being cheap.

jus my opinion, in the end it's up to Cytomic to decide what they want to do and they are probably more worryed about the rtas glue right now, but my vote goes for more awesome compressors like this one for my DAW, delays I have enough.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I have the same problem. Is your Windows folder on the C: drive? Mine is on the E: drive, as I'm dual-booting, I was wondering if that could be the culprit...

ez135
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you using a cpu with sse2?

Andrew Simper
No. This is on a dual AMD MP machine... just before the opteron/AMD64 stuff. It's getting long in the tooth, but the thing won't quit. I'm the guy who drives his car 300,000 miles.

I suppose this could be the problem, although I've never had another plugin that doesn't work. Strange.

Quote:
I have the same problem. Is your Windows folder on the C: drive? Mine is on the E: drive, as I'm dual-booting, I was wondering if that could be the culprit...
Windows on C:
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 on the Distressor. If anyone can get it right in Native world as of now it is you Andy. but i've totally agree that if we are to expect something with realistic behaviour you should have access to a unit and it's schematics so take your time! no rush!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No. This is on a dual AMD MP machine... just before the opteron/AMD64 stuff. It's getting long in the tooth, but the thing won't quit. I'm the guy who drives his car 300,000 miles.

I suppose this could be the problem, although I've never had another plugin that doesn't work. Strange.

Windows on C:
From the page: Cytomic: The Glue Beta Info

Minimum Specifications
  • Vst 2.4 or Au compatible host (Rtas still to come) that can handle 4 in 2 output plugins
  • Mac: OS 10.4/10.5, ppc cpu with altivec or intel cpu with sse2
  • Win: XP/2000, intel cpu with sse2
I should add some sort of check for lack of sse2 and disable all audio processing and display a message, but there aren't many people without sse2 machines now so I didn't bother yet.

Andrew Simper
Old 15th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From the page: Cytomic: The Glue Beta Info

Minimum Specifications
  • Vst 2.4 or Au compatible host (Rtas still to come) that can handle 4 in 2 output plugins
  • Mac: OS 10.4/10.5, ppc cpu with altivec or intel cpu with sse2
  • Win: XP/2000, intel cpu with sse2
I should add some sort of check for lack of sse2 and disable all audio processing and display a message, but there aren't many people without sse2 machines now so I didn't bother yet.

Andrew Simper
Well, that answers that then.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Andrew...kudos on the Glue! I'm sold.
Can't wait for the RTAS version, so I can actually use it on my real rig.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So if getting access to the schematics is problematic, like someone has already suggested, I could model all the original units that the distressor is modeling.
Yes!!!! That would be more desirable than the distressor...

The Glue is working fine so far in SX3 on G5, 10.4.11, BTW. I haven't checked the sidechain, though...

Looking forward to your next creations. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A saturation/color plug-in of sorts would be really great too.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just bought this. What a fantastic sounding compressor!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UA is doing the Distressor, and knowing them, it will be good. For what it is worth, I would much rather have the "small guys" blaze a new trail rather than follow the big guys. That is the autonomy that comes with running your own business - why forsake it? Make something revolutionary.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
as far as Im ware and have read UA is doing the FATSO not distressor...
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
UA is doing the Distressor, and knowing them, it will be good. For what it is worth, I would much rather have the "small guys" blaze a new trail rather than follow the big guys. That is the autonomy that comes with running your own business - why forsake it? Make something revolutionary.
My plans to do plugins have nothing to do with UA. I had the beta of The Glue ready before they released the their 4K range, and was already considering a Distressor ever since I heard them used by a friend Steve Duda in 2003. Perhaps I should check for phone taps and change all my passwords

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Also I consider what I'm up to right now as honing my skills so to speak. I could go ahead and make up new kinds of processing and may come up with something quite good if I'm lucky but I would prefer to do something different.

I want to study the masters masters and work out why each of their designs sounds so good. This really opens up whole new concepts and subtleties every time I do it, and allows me to enhance each design to make the most of why they sound good as I'm going along. The Range knob on The Glue is just this sort of thing. I think sometimes the original designers didn't even know why their designs sounded good. The limitations and tradeoffs when making a circuit force you in certain directions and they could definitely hear when something sounded good, but that is different to knowing why. Once I have done this enough hopefully I will be in a position to create exceptional designs myself.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also I consider what I'm up to right now as honing my skills so to speak. I could go ahead and make up new kinds of processing and may come up with something quite good if I'm lucky but I would prefer to do something different.

I want to study the masters masters and work out why each of their designs sounds so good. This really opens up a whole new concepts and subtleties every time I do it, and allows me to enhance each design to make the most of why they sound good as I'm going along. The Range knob on The Glue is just this sort of thing. I think sometimes the original designers didn't even know why their designs sounded good. The limitations and tradeoffs when making a circuit force you in certain directions and they could definitely hear when something sounded good, but that is different to knowing why. Once I have done this enough hopefully I will be in a position to create exceptional designs myself.

Andrew Simper
I like the way you think Andy.

BTW...

The Glue is just brilliant !
Nothing less.

G
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
as far as Im ware and have read UA is doing the FATSO not distressor...
Hopefully they're doing the UBK Fatso!!!hehheh
πŸ“ Reply