Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 16 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi ➑️
Thanks very much Andy! How long do I usually have to wait to receive a license after purchasing... bout 24 hours?

Thanks!
Woops only answered half the questions. Yes I usually process orders in the morning and in the evening GMT.

Andrew Simper
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool! Thanks again Andy... look forward to hearing from you!!!
Old 2nd May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andy... How does one reach you by email?

According to PayPal, you received my payment on Apr. 30, 2009 @ 12:07:25 PDT.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost in the shuffle...

Thanks very much!
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
My mistake. I processed your payment but then missed your name when I copied the info to send out builds. I will send your build immediately

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
im gonna buy this, i heard wonders about it, and after reading this thread for a good 30 minutes, i can tell its a grand plugin to add to my UAD stuff
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if i buy the plugin is there a chance i can get the presets that were used to create the electronic music demo clips?? heh
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg ➑️
if i buy the plugin is there a chance i can get the presets that were used to create the electronic music demo clips?? heh
To tell you the truth I didn't save the presets when I made the demos as I hadn't finished the code to export at that stage. I'll make sure I include a few electronic mastering presets in the final version for you. Which demo clips did you like the most?

As a rule of thumb for the electronic stuff I used the following:

1) Set the following:
Attack 0.1 mS the more bass and tonal the longer you need the attack
Release 0.4 S again the more bass and tonal the longer you need it
Range -15 dB
Ratio 10
Peakclip On

2) Adjust the threshold until the needle is moving the most up and down on a loud section of the track

3) Adjust the makeup gain till the Peakclip led just starts twinkling on the hardest attacks only, you don't want it any more than that.

4) If the sound is too distorted due to low frequency content then increase the attack a step or two, if it's already sounding good you can try pushing it even harder by making the release 0.2 S.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks a lot for those settings! My demo still runs so i'll give that a go.
Do you not use the sidechain filter on heavy bass stuff?

I liked this a lot
danielm-DoofComp
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
I just came up with a setting for that one again, can't promise it's exactly the same but it is:

Threshold -23 dB
Range -30 dB
Makeup +16 dB
Attack 0.3 mS
Ratio 10
Release 0.1 S
Comp In On
Mix Wet
Peakclip In On
HP Off
Ext Sidechain In Off

The aim of this setting was the make the attacks of the kick stand out, make the reverb air pump from the kick in the quiet sections, but keep it's head in the loud sections where the whole mix is going for it.

Only for mixes with lots of sin type sub bass does it help to use the sidechain hp as most other types of bass are already buzzy so a little compressor buzz can actually sound good depending on how more aggressive you want the sound.

Andrew Simper
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
andy...thanks ...got my plugin today.....just soo nice....but a question???
when updates come out do you resend the new plugin links to all regestered users?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson ➑️
when updates come out do you resend the new plugin links to all regestered users?
You read my mind!!! Was wondering the same thing.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson ➑️
Yes, new download links will be sent to all customers whenever a new build is ready.

Once the web page is done there will be a user login area. When you create an account it will match up your email and user name (the name displayed on the front interface as Registered to User Name) and attach your serial number to it. Then you will be able to click on the download buttons for each version of The Glue you want to download on demand. Your individual download will be created on the fly on the server with your registration information already encoded into the binary.

Additionally the final version will have a simple manual and lots of useful presets. The manual will be publicly available, and the factory presets will be in the binary itself, and then written to your presets area on first run.

Andrew Simper
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does this thing work in Pro Tools as an fxpansion vst wrapped plug-in?

I would look through the thread for my answer, but this thread is very, very long now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Correct me if I'm wrong Andy but I believe there's an RTAS version being released in the next week.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
People have reported that The Glue works with the Vst to Rtas wrapper from FXpansion, but the wrapper only supports stereo in stereo out plugins so you won't be able to use the external sidechain. This is a limitation of the wrapper not of The Glue.

There will be a trial version of the Rtas version of The Glue ready for testing by Friday 8th May.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey guys,

Just so you know, I did a brief bus compressor 'shoot-out' earlier today. The test itself isn't highly scientific (if there was ever any possibility of that being the case) but it does highlight some of the tendencies and nuances of the compressors in question.

You can get the full story over on this thread: Bus Compressor Shootout! - GSSL, Waves SSL, Cytomic 'The Glue' - Ultimate Metal Forum

Otherwise, here are the direct links:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Fo...scomp-Rock.rar

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Fo...scomp-Prog.rar
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➑️
People have reported that The Glue works with the VST to Rtas wrapper from FXpansion, but the wrapper only supports stereo in stereo out plugins so you won't be able to use the external sidechain. This is a limitation of the wrapper not of The Glue.

There will be a trial version of the Rtas version of The Glue ready for testing by Friday 8th May.

Andrew Simper
Just an edit 'cause you put AU to RTAS Andy

Ash
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Thanks Ashley, edited now
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz ➑️
hey guys,

Just so you know, I did a brief bus compressor 'shoot-out' earlier today. The test itself isn't highly scientific (if there was ever any possibility of that being the case) but it does highlight some of the tendencies and nuances of the compressors in question.

You can get the full story over on this thread: Bus Compressor Shootout! - GSSL, Waves SSL, Cytomic 'The Glue' - Ultimate Metal Forum

Otherwise, here are the direct links:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Fo...scomp-Rock.rar

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Fo...scomp-Prog.rar

Thanks for that Emrz. Just so you can match the sound properly you will need to adjust the Range knob. What is the sidechain voltage rail on your gssl? If it's -15 V then you will need around the Range to be around -60 dB, if it's -18 V you will need -72 dB. The default of -40 dB gives a more transparent result.

Andrew Simper
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Ermz, what was the Range knob set to in your examples?

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It was around the 50dB mark. The compressor was also metering about 1dB more gain reduction than the other two on average.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Ermz, well on that setting The Glue will be more transparent than the other compressors you tested it with. What was the overall reaction to The Glue in that thread?

Also what is the sidechain voltage of the analog compressor you were trying to match (ie the power voltage being sent to the sidechain op amps and the voltage to dB main sidechain amp chip)?

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Ermz, just so you know the Range knob effects not just the maximum compression amount, but also how the attacks sound. It's purpose is to allow you to taylor how natural / transparent the compression sounds, so from the looks of that thread it's doing it's job perfectly as people thought The Glue sounded the most transparent, which is in line with the setting you chose to use for the comparison.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm glad to hear it functioned as it was intended to, Andrew. I have no idea about the rail voltage of the GSSL to be honest, as I wasn't the one who constructed it. It was based on the standard GSSL schematic, so whatever it uses, this likely uses.

Have you thought about perhaps consolidating different 'range' values into stepped selections on your plug-in, with some titles that may help layman users identify sounds closer to what they are after? For instance, if I had known that -60dB was likely closer to what the other units were doing, I would have used it, but there was no indication that it is the 'SSL setting', so to speak. I assumed that the standard -40dB 'unity' setting would be the rough average that other bus comps would be working at, so I dared not deviate too much. I did try to compensate with more GR, but to its credit, The Glue stayed transparent even then.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Although I have emulated the characteristics of the original analog compressor I found that a value of -40 dB for the Range to be more useful in everyday production so I have made that the default. The final product will include many presets which utilize the Range knob to full effect.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
definitely the best BUS compressor plugin
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Just so you know different ssl's have different voltages so there isn't "the ssl setting" since they all sound different. Also different ssl's use different op amps with different slew rates and there are loads of other factors that will make each run of each model even be slightly different.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is a fantastic product.

I own a Smart C1 that I love very much and cannot imagine living without.

I am not the type to do scientific comparisons; nothing could be more boring.

I will say that, although the Cytomic is a different thing, if I didn't have any dough, I would be so psyched that someone did this kind of thing in software so elegantly.

I love the C1, but a Smart will set you back $2.5k or so. It's 2009 and, in America, we are plummeting towards an all-out post-Bush-years Depression. The calculus is pretty obvious, if you ask me. Go Cytomic.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was in a demo mood today, I was thinking of buying the glue over the waves ssl stuff for a matter of price... but after demoing both side by side... I though the waves was cool but dam that glue kik ass! I really liked it better than the waves, it's not jus a lil the difference... the overall character is the same to but the glue sound much better to me and the clipper is a wonderfull addition (especially for the drum buss)... will be purchasing this one asap.
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma ➑️
I was in a demo mood today, I was thinking of buying the glue over the waves ssl stuff for a matter of price... but after demoing both side by side... I though the waves was cool but dam that glue kik ass! I really liked it better than the waves, it's not jus a lil the difference... the overall character is the same to but the glue sound much better to me and the clipper is a wonderfull addition (especially for the drum buss)... will be purchasing this one asap.

CanΒ΄t go wrong with the glue thumbsup

Bought it some weeks ago and still am amazed how nice it is especially on drums
πŸ“ Reply