Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cytomic "The Glue" Bus Compressor Effect Plugin
Old 24th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
I tried out the Glue demo, The Rocket and my Sonalksis SV315 on the 2 buss on a club mix i was working on. I really couldnt tell which one i thought was better. They all had a beneficial outcome. Ive got the Sonalksis and Rocket already, so not sure if i need the Glue. How do you others think it compares to these?
I have those 3 myself and have tried them all on various things.
The attack on the rocket on house/techno etc is too quick for me,but for down tempo style stuff i really like it.
I got the sonalksis 315 and glue to sound really really similar until i started pumping them with quicker release and attack times. The glue seemed to just vibe a bit more and the mix pumped in that techy housey way really nice when i wanted it too.
The sonalksis seems cleaner to me though.
So really all 3 seem to work better at different things for me.
The rocket seems the most coloured and better at downtempo for me
The glue works better for me on techy housey stuff but to be honest haven't really tried it on any other style enough to give it a fair shout
The sonalksis works better when i want a super clean compressor

If i had to pick 1, seeing as i do mostly house id go with the glue.
All 3 are great software compressors though

Anyone agree or disgaree on that ?

Ben
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have the 315 and the Glue, and I pretty much agree. Also, I feel that I can get a "snap" on drums with the Glue that is hard to achieve to the same degree with the 315.

That being said, the 315 is an excellent compressor when "clean, but good" is needed... =)
adl
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I tried out the Glue demo, The Rocket and my Sonalksis SV315 on the 2 buss on a club mix i was working on. I really couldnt tell which one i thought was better. They all had a beneficial outcome. Ive got the Sonalksis and Rocket already, so not sure if i need the Glue. How do you others think it compares to these?

From kvraudio:
Quote:
Put The Glue on some submix buss containing both transients and sustained sounds (say drums+bass). Dial in some really slamming compression on The Glue with range knob at default -40 dB (slamming as in virtual needle slammin' the virtual needle stop ). now back off range to taste, say somewhere between -20 and -10 dB. Do you like what you hear? Do you know any other compressor that can reproduce it easily, hard or soft?
Did that and was sold
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Sorry if this was posted already. Is there going to be a mono version? Pretty mandatory for otb mixers.

Just tried it on my monitors today for the first time. Love it on drums, very happy with the purchase.
Yes, there will be a mono version in the final release.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a TDM version?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko ➡️
a TDM version?
A TDM version is a definite possibility in the future, but it will be a separate product, and will cost probably around 4 times the price because of the development costs involved.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Andy, this compressor is terrific.

I've tried it on Film Cues so far, and, this compressor really shines in this application.

The track in question has huge cinematic low enders with cinematic toms etc...and even with a relatively deep threshold, The Glue managed the low frequency content beautifully. Nice and firm gain reduction without any pumping.

Sold.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic ➡️
A TDM version is a definite possibility in the future, but it will be a separate product, and will cost probably around 4 times the price because of the development costs involved.

Andrew Simper
I could help out with testing
Old 25th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Andy,

I always use in the busses or master channel the plugin Sonalksis 315 or PSP Vintage warmer. With "the glue" the sound its similar to 315 but more warmer, very very good compressor. In the buss drums have used "the glue demo" with the sidechain in 80hz, attack 1, release .6 and ratio 2 or 4, hard compression in -10db and the results its very good. Waiting the final version!!!

Excuse-me my bad english, I hope you understand hehe!
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Andy, I know it's early stages, but, is there a pdf manual ?
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dmusic ➡️
Andy, I know it's early stages, but, is there a pdf manual ?
Not yet but there will be for the final launch as well as some presets.

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orjankarlsson ➡️
Hey Andy - you've got a typo here: (in 1.0.8)

"not for commerical use".
Thanks! Fixed in 1.0.9

Andrew Simper
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Digidesign have accepted Cytomic officially into their developer program. I have placed an order for developer hardware and I'm downloading the sdk now. Expect an RTAS public beta of The Glue by 17th April

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OUTSTANDING!

Good luck to you Andy!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not yet but there will be for the final launch as well as some presets.

Andrew Simper
Andy, in that case, what is the range function in The Glue ?

Waves, for example, has a "Range" function in their C4 plug-in, but, it's function may be different than yours. In the C4, with positive and negative values, the Range allows the user to switch between compression and expansion.
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Andy, in that case, what is the range function in The Glue ?

Waves, for example, has a "Range" function in their C4 plug-in, but, it's function may be different than yours. In the C4, with positive and negative values, the Range allows the user to switch between compression and expansion.
The Range knob in The Glue is very different to that of the Range control on the C4. It limits the maximum amount of compression applied, but in a very natural and particular way. I feel this is one of the best features of The Glue and allows for some very versatile processing. It won't take long playing with it and listening to the results to work out some great settings.

Andrew Simper
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Digidesign have accepted Cytomic officially into their developer program. I have placed an order for developer hardware and I'm downloading the sdk now. Expect an RTAS public beta of The Glue by 17th April

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Andrew Simper
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting that UA suddenly released its SSL Plugins—with no prior mention—just now when The Glue is in late beta stage and getting great feedback. Coincidence?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
Coincidence?
Yes.

- c
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting that UA suddenly released its SSL Plugins—with no prior mention—just now when The Glue is in late beta stage and getting great feedback. Coincidence?
Well unless Universal Audio can miraculously remove the extra latency and extra bus bandwidth their UAD card introduces, adds external sidechain processing, adds a range knob, adds a 0.01 mS attack time, makes the UAD 2 card fit inside a usb key sized device, and drops the price by half, I think The Glue is still in for some market share.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
:-)
that was the best "buy mine not theirs", I have ever seen... :-)
rsp
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey Andy,

Great news on the RTAS front, thanks for the hard work !

On a side note, what are the chances of you developing an SSL channel strip ? I know that there are people that are sick of hearing about new SSL plugin emulations, but to be realistic here, I would like to have another option.

I'm trying to get away from Waves and evil WUP (just like everyone else), and I can't and don't want to have to buy a UAD-1 or UAD-2 card just to enjoy the plugins that they offer. It seems ridiculous to have to spend $1200 on a card then $250 on the plug-in extra, just to get the plug-in.

Plus, it seems you do good work, and like Steve Massey, it seems you generally care about the product and the people who use it. Your pricing is also very reasonable as well !!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm100eb ➡️
Hey Andy,
On a side note, what are the chances of you developing an SSL channel strip ? I know that there are people that are sick of hearing about new SSL plugin emulations, but to be realistic here, I would like to have another option....
If I could add to your request jpm...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but, I've about have enough of the "emulation" plug-ins. Either people complain that "it's not the same as the original" and/or "it's not anything new."

I would almost prefer something in a channel strip where Andy put something together that was taking plug-ins to the next level. A sweet sounding EQ in the digital realm and a compressor that had some kick to it if you drive it harder.
But, a "biggy" for me would be to add something to the channel strip that adds character or even/odd harmonics to a track such as a Transformer or an "Iron" switch.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
d-dmusic,

I would be for that as well. What I'm basically looking for is a go-to channel strip. Just seemed like the SSL ones came closest to what I was looking for !
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I could add to your request jpm...

I don't know about you guys and gals, but, I've about have enough of the "emulation" plug-ins. Either people complain that "it's not the same as the original" and/or "it's not anything new."

I would almost prefer something in a channel strip where Andy put something together that was taking plug-ins to the next level. A sweet sounding EQ in the digital realm and a compressor that had some kick to it if you drive it harder.
But, a "biggy" for me would be to add something to the channel strip that adds character or even/odd harmonics to a track such as a Transformer or an "Iron" switch.
Thanks for the request guys! The SSL channel strip contains a gate/expander, a compressor and eq and filters all in one. Adding on top of that a good transformer emulation all adds up to quite a bit of research and development for me, since I like to do things in depth and not rush them out.

I would love to do a channel strip type plugin, but before then I have several other plugins I plan doing, so don't expect a channel strip for the next year or two minimum from Cytomic.

Andrew Simper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Andrew—

In working with The Glue in SAWStudio, the settings aren't remembered when re-opening an EDL. Is that function intentionally crippled in the demo version, or is there an issue with this plug in this host? SS is a great program, but isn't exactly mainstream, and I've had similar problems with some other plugs.
Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➡️
I have those 3 myself and have tried them all on various things.
The attack on the rocket on house/techno etc is too quick for me,but for down tempo style stuff i really like it.
I got the sonalksis 315 and glue to sound really really similar until i started pumping them with quicker release and attack times. The glue seemed to just vibe a bit more and the mix pumped in that techy housey way really nice when i wanted it too.
The sonalksis seems cleaner to me though.
So really all 3 seem to work better at different things for me.
The rocket seems the most coloured and better at downtempo for me
The glue works better for me on techy housey stuff but to be honest haven't really tried it on any other style enough to give it a fair shout
The sonalksis works better when i want a super clean compressor

If i had to pick 1, seeing as i do mostly house id go with the glue.
All 3 are great software compressors though

Anyone agree or disgaree on that ?

Ben
i tried out the Glue again today on another track. On NI Elektric Piano the Rocket gave me almost the sound i was after, but i couldnt control the sustain as i wanted so was using the sonalksis gate and a transient designer to try to mould it into shape. I have been stuck on this track for weeks because each time i go back im not happy with this one sound.

The Glue got it just right without the need for the gate within about an hour...so im pretty happy. Its a 122bpm house track btw :-)

When is the full version coming out? i only have 5 days left on the demo!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i tried out the Glue again today on another track. On NI Elektric Piano the Rocket gave me almost the sound i was after, but i couldnt control the sustain as i wanted so was using the sonalksis gate and a transient designer to try to mould it into shape. I have been stuck on this track for weeks because each time i go back im not happy with this one sound.

The Glue got it just right without the need for the gate within about an hour...so im pretty happy. Its a 122bpm house track btw :-)

When is the full version coming out? i only have 5 days left on the demo!

The full beta version has been out for a few weeks now mate. Ive been using it. Scroll back through this post. You need to email a paypal payment to Andy.

Ben
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Andrew—

In working with The Glue in SAWStudio, the settings aren't remembered when re-opening an EDL. Is that function intentionally crippled in the demo version, or is there an issue with this plug in this host? SS is a great program, but isn't exactly mainstream, and I've had similar problems with some other plugs.
The Trial version has all loading of settings disabled, but if you upgrade to the Full version then you can load songs created with the Trial version as the Trial saves the full information to the song.

Andrew Simper
📝 Reply