Quantcast
best way to do vinyl and cassette digital transfers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best way to do vinyl and cassette digital transfers?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
best way to do vinyl and cassette digital transfers?

what would be the best way to convert Vinyl and Cassette to Digital audio that preserves the BEST POSSIBLE SOUND?

right now a buddy of mine wants me to transfer a gig he has that was recorded on cassette, and he also has a performance thats on vinyal.

he has a usb vinyl player that supposedly transfers over well,
do tho's work good?

and right now i'm going to use a standard walkman cassette player and just record from the headphone out.

is this still a good way to get the best sound?
or is there an alternative?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik ➡️
he has a usb vinyl player that supposedly transfers over well, do tho's work good?

and right now i'm going to use a standard walkman cassette player and just record from the headphone out.
I think the most improvement you will get by using better analogue technology. Use a decent cassette deck (borrow one if you don't need it much), which will nicely match the Line In of your audio interface.

Use a decent turntable with a dedicated pre-amp (I have a little box by a company named Creek but a good home-stereo amp with a dedicated MM/MC input and a recording out will do as well), which will also match your audio interface's Line in nicely. USB vinyl players may or may not be good; I'd rather entrust myself on HIFI home stereo equipment for that.

What is your audio interface, by the way?

Or the gear slutty version (you asked for the Best):
Turntable: Linn LP12 SE (chassis) + Ecos SE (Arm) + Lyra Titan (MC) ca. 15000 Euro
Phono Preamp for MC: Lyra Connoisseur 4-2 P SE, 20000 Euro
You can try to feed that directly into an ADC, do a search here, there has been a thread recently. Maybe Lavry Gold, ca 7000 Euro.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Emu 1820m has a nice dedicated phono pre built into it!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this is part of the work i do here in the studio. for vinyl transfers i use a custom-built tube preamp and an austrian-made turntable. i have a decent teac deck i use for cassette tape, and straight into the soundcard. i'd like to have a nakamichi dragon as my cassette deck!

all in all, transfers and restorations go well here. i've done hundreds, most of which are vinyl...loads of 78's in these transfers. i also do 1/4 inch reel-to-reel, 8-track tapes (even the old quadrophonic), and wire recordings!

these are services i offer mostly at the 'consumer level', though i do take in recordings from time to time for re-mastering.

a lot of what i do in these consumer-level services is 'one of a kind'...the only recording copy that exists.

it's sometimes frustrating because of the quality of what i'm given to work with, but, it's also incredibly rewarding to see the smiles...sometimes even the tears when someone hears the voice of a loved one for the first time in 40 years!

my current project is the transfer and restoraion of some 50 Charles Ives' compositions LP's. very interesting stuff, none of which will likely ever be re-mastered for CD.

best regards,
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurydime ➡️
this is part of the work i do here in the studio. for vinyl transfers i use a custom-built tube preamp and an austrian-made turntable. i have a decent teac deck i use for cassette tape, and straight into the soundcard. i'd like to have a nakamichi dragon as my cassette deck!
Yeah, I forgot to mention Nakamichi on my gear slutty list. Austrian made turntable, what brand is this? I have an old Thorens, which is Swiss.

Quote:
my current project is the transfer and restoraion of some 50 Charles Ives' compositions LP's. very interesting stuff, none of which will likely ever be re-mastered for CD.
Is there a legal way to get a copy of your Ives stuff. This sounds very interesting!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik ➡️
Yeah, I forgot to mention Nakamichi on my gear slutty list. Austrian made turntable, what brand is this? I have an old Thorens, which is Swiss.

Is there a legal way to get a copy of your Ives stuff. This sounds very interesting!
the turntable is a Pro-Ject middle of the line with an oyster tone arm. i am using Grado cartridges, again not terribly expensive, but good. it's hard to justify a big-time cartridge considering the condition of some of the stuff i wind up playing in...

i will check on the copyright situation for these Ives recordings. normally, i make just one digital copy for my clients unless it's obvious they own the rights to the recording. but i do keep a copy for archival purposes, in case there happens to be a problem with the audio that needs to be re-evaluated. the Ives recordings i have here are in really good shape. they belong to one of my college professors at Wake Forest...

it's taken me a long time to get going on them....working on them piecemeal. recording studio business is good here...and it pays better than the 'consumer level' stuff !

best regards,
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik ➡️
Use a decent cassette deck (borrow one if you don't need it much)
And be aware that "up-to-spec" ones aren't getting easier to find in the CD/iPod age. I've been restoring some the past few weeks and found out the hard way that the old capacitor factor had substantially thinned out the sound of one of my favorites and knocked out a bunch of its low end. The rubber issue is another one. The 10-15+ year olds might have wonky speed consistency. A cheap newer model may outperform a high end older one which hasn't been fully serviced.

-Sucks, but it's worth considering if the material is important.

PS- There's a Nakamichi on the agenda here, but it's no Dragon. It does look pretty well built on the inside though for consumer level cassette. It's something called a BX-125.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump for old thread and to hijack... I've got tons of old 16,33,45,78's that I've been dying for years to transfer. Is there a one-stop turntable solution that's decent or do I need to get 2 turntables, one old one for the 16,78 and a more recent for the common 33 stuff? I got rid of my turntable back in the 80's and never looked back but I've inherited some very old records, mainly classical, and I'd like to hear 'em & burn CD's.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well, vinyl is vinyl. tape is tape.
no matter how good the bit rate your digitizing it too.

so, ya its a good idea to have a decent player that wont eat the tapes...and a turntable that can handle 78's.

but don't expect a miracle. you'll be able to clean them up a little with audio restoration software...but like i said...don't expect a miracle.

however, on the bright side, once the material (tapes/records) are digitized at 24/48 (or your preference), they will ALWAYS stay that way. warts and all.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote from bkbirge.
Quote:
Bump for old thread and to hijack... I've got tons of old 16,33,45,78's that I've been dying for years to transfer. Is there a one-stop turntable solution that's decent or do I need to get 2 turntables, one old one for the 16,78 and a more recent for the common 33 stuff? I got rid of my turntable back in the 80's and never looked back but I've inherited some very old records, mainly classical, and I'd like to hear 'em & burn CD's.

For playing back 16 rpm and 78 rpm records, take a look at the KAB Transcriber, the Vestax BDT2600 or it's within your budget, the Rondine 3.

For playing 33 and 45 rpm records, check out the Needle Doctor site for turntables.

Re-read your thread, you mentioned old turntables; the Goldring Lenco GL72, GL75 or the Thorens 124 play at 16 and 78 rpm speeds.

Last edited by Hane; 27th November 2009 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: Added more info.
📝 Reply