Quantcast
Poll: What are the specs of the computer are you using? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Poll: What are the specs of the computer are you using?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Question Poll: What are the specs of the computer are you using?

I've decided to update my old recording computer (dual-core 2 Ghz AMD/4GB RAM/WinXP 32bit) to something more robust. I think I've decided on a dual quad-core Xeon 2.33 Ghz, 8GB RAM and WinXP 64bit. While the CPU speed isn't over the top, the 8 cores should provide a fair amount of calculations and remain relevant as a DAW for several years to come. The motherboard will accept up to 24 GB of memory so I don't see how that will be a problem down the road.

I don't really know what other people use for DAWs or how popular 64 bit operating systems are yet. I've seen some vastly different specs here and other places and thought why not have a thread about it.

So, here's what I'm interested in.

1) Operating System, 32 or 64 bit
2) Hardware (CPU/Memory, Self-build or bought whole)
3) Main Software Used (Sonar, Gigasampler, Windows Solitaire, etc)
4) Interface type and Model (Firewire MOTU, PCI Echo, etc)
5) Limitations (IE: Computer chokes if I try to do X, When I do X my CPU/s are maxed, etc)
6) My system would be better if __________.
7) My system is great because ____________.
8) Anything else you would like to share.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
XP SP3 32 bit, Q6600 Quad, 2 GB RAM I bought from ADK. Great service and support, nice folks and I'm very happy with this rig.

Lynx 2 A audio, SONAR 8.

Lots of audio tracks (50-80), plugs, softsynths what have you. My rig does not choke.

I'd be surprised if you get many people telling you that 64 bit OS is a good idea right now, particularly XP.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1) XP32
2) Dell Precision T5400, dual quad core Xeons, 16gb ram (wasted in XP)
3) Pro Tools HD2 with PT8
4) 96i/o
5) Slow buffered memory
6) My system would be better if it had more room for PCI cards.
7) My system is great because it has tons of power and the deal I got on it was incredible.
8) I had to modify it to fit my Accel card. If you have a HD3 get the T7400
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. XP Pro 32
2. HP 8600 Dual Quad core 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram, 4x750 Gb drives
3. PT 8.0 with PTHD 3 Acell (testing reaper)
4. 3 x Digi 192 and Apogee Big Bend

I'm still testing the system and have not pushed it yet. So far it's taken everything I've thrown at it. I'll be adding a UAD 64 Neve card so I will be curious too see how well they will play with each other.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) Operating System, 32 bit xp pro
2) Hardware [email protected] 2.67ghz 2gb ddr800 ram 8800 gts with 320 mb vram bought pre build.
3) Main Software Used Cubase sx3.1 with max msp in rewire.
4) Interface type and Model Rme Hdsp with Multiface Pci
5) Limitations Nothing yet
6) My system would be better if No idea.
7) My system is great because Handles multi instruments and samplers at 6 ms latency and lower without any hickups.
8) Anything else you would like to share.Not really.

This is for pc2
1) Operating System, 32bit win xp home
2) Hardware P4 2.8ghz 2 gb ocz platinum ddr1 ram 6600gt with 256 mb vram
3) Main Software Used: Host for 3 scope dsp cards 25 dsps overall running sfp 4.5
4) Interface type and Model: scope pro srb 14 dsp,pulsar 2 6dsp,pulsar1 pro 4dsp, all pci
5) Limitations With lots of reverb plugs loaded the pci bus goes to the limit on transfer rates sometimes but no big deal.
6) My system would be better if: more dsp maybe...
7) My system is great because: It works just fine
8) Anything else you would like to share.Connected via adat and midi..just sits there and works.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cool

TBA
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would have thought with all the people here more than 5 of us used computers.

I guess analog tape is making a come back after all.

Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 231be8b

XP 32 bit SP3 - Due to me owning a Steinberg Midex 8 , I'd probably have Vista otherwise.

Q6600 , 4GB , Asus P5Q rackmount , bought from online builders

Cubase 4

Edirol M-16DX (16x2 with a midi controller mixer thingy) though this is a stop gap until I save more.

5) Limitations (IE: Computer chokes if I try to do X, When I do X my CPU/s are maxed, etc)

Not hit the max yet...

It had more built in firewire ports and/or PCI/PCIe connections

"it just works" :P

No
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mac...old
pc's...older

g
1) OS, XP, 32bit
2) Asus K5e -plus, CPU e8400, ram: OEM
3) Cubase SX4, Reason 4, softsynths(
4) RME ADI8 mit HDSP
5) windows
6) happy
7) stable
8) I like it.. selfbuilt, zahlman cooler, raptor RAID.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1) XP 32 SP2
2) E6600 (dual core) MB+Graphics MSI (forgot the models, whatever was standard early 2007) Memory 1GB, Brand: don't know. Built by Atelco (German). 5400rpm 2.5" IDE HD by Samsung. I put the audio hardware in by myself and replaced the power supply with a Fortron Zen 300W.
3) Cubase VST (still the old one), Wavelab Studio 6, Melodyne Studio 3, Sampletank.
4) PCI, M-Audio AP 2496 with e-band pre2 (preamp + ADDA, identical to Mindprint DiPort) connected via SPDIF. 1 UAD1 PCI + 1 UAD1 PCIe
5) Never tested with really demanding tasks: I do up to 16 audio tracks, up to 10 MIDI tracks, no streaming instruments. I expect a lot of "headroom" but I simply don't know.
6) My system would be better if its fans were quieter (especially the 80mm case fan in the front), and if I managed to install Windows on a SATA drive. A newer sequencer package would be lovely but I'm likely to stay with Steiney (will demo Samplitude before I upgrade). Synchrosoft sucks with serial dongle so my system would by better if I got rid of that (hopefully my next Cubase, if at all, will be able to share Wavelab's dongle so I have only one).
7) My system is great because it is so power saving that I can put it in a big wooden case without overheating it. 90W idle, 115W while simultaneously burning DVD and converting mp3. It does all I need at moderate cost. Cubase runs stable at minimum latency (64samples).
8) The Fortron Zen is quiet since fanless but not 100% silent. Depending on the load, it chirps every once a while which you will not notice as long as music/noise is present but gets irritating if you have silence otherwise. My TFT monitor has built-in speakers which cannot be deactivated. I do not play back audio over them but they hiss a bit.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven ➑️
While the CPU speed isn't over the top, the 8 cores should provide a fair amount of calculations and remain relevant as a DAW for several years to come.
8 cores really only benefits you down the road... No DAW (or decent game for that matter) fully supports multicore processing... best case scenario, maybe 2... not 4.. definitely not 8.... The first program to fully take advantage of 8 cores, and you're going to flip out at how much faster it runs on your machine... My guess would be Sonar tackles it first... they are the biggest gear heads in terms of PC specs of all the companies...
The reason why Logic and PT wont is because people aren't out upgrading Macs like crazy.... so the software doesn't really have to keep up with anything... DP wont because MOTU sees software as secondary to their hardware.... and Cubase wont because it's frickin Steinberg... Digidesign would be next after Cakewalk in the multicore revolution....

Benefits for multicore now are multitasking... So I guess it's cool that you can play solitaire, burn a cd... chat on YAHOO messenger, and talk to us at GS all while mixing a song.... but straight DAW performace... don't expect much of a boost anytime soon....

And to Stratton, a 64-bit OS is good for one thing... 32-bit OS' can't/don't use more than 4gb of RAM so anymore than 4 is lost to the great RAM beyond (Mattafact can't you just rip some of it out?)

To Waltermusik... Get a faster Hard drive if that is where you store your session wave files... 5400 RPM is kind of lacking... You'll run the plug ins just fine.. but start to pile on Audio tracks and you'll hiccup... oh believe me... you'll hiccup

Plexisys... thats cool... not many people use HD with a PC... thats in my opinion the way to do it.... Although last time I tried a big "bend" I pulled a muscle....
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
8 cores really only benefits you down the road... No DAW (or decent game for that matter) fully supports multicore processing... best case scenario, maybe 2... not 4.. definitely not 8.... The first program to fully take advantage of 8 cores, and you're going to flip out at how much faster it runs on your machine... My guess would be Sonar tackles it first... they are the biggest gear heads in terms of PC specs of all the companies...
The reason why Logic and PT wont is because people aren't out upgrading Macs like crazy.... so the software doesn't really have to keep up with anything... DP wont because MOTU sees software as secondary to their hardware.... and Cubase wont because it's frickin Steinberg... Digidesign would be next after Cakewalk in the multicore revolution....
I went back and forth over getting the extra 4 cores. I decided to just go with it. It's only a few hundred more right now and I can get the CPU. If I wait a year I might not even get a matching CPU at a good price (or at all).

I will be using Sonar 8. I downloaded the version 8 demo and it seems to run well on a demo box I built (like the specs above) which only had 4 cores. The 64bit install tested well also so I think I'll start with that. I didn't really have time to beat the crap out of the box - I'll wait until my hardware arrives.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) Operating System, 32 or 64 bit Leopard 10.5.6

Intel Q6600
Abit IP35Pro Motherboard
8GB OCZ DDR2 RAM
Artic Freezer Pro 7
Antec Case
Antec Trio 550W
Several TB's of HDs

Pro Tools 8, Logic 8

Digidesign 002R

More than about 5-10 amp sims running simult.

6) My system would be better if it were a real Mac Pro.
7) My system is great because it was really cheap, and powerful.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years

xp pro sp3 32

Intel q6600 / ASUS p5q se plus OC'd to 3.0ghz / 4gbocz ram / self build

PT8 / Waelab / Adobe Premiere and After Effects cs4

Digi 002r

Haven't run into any problems yet

no complaints

I can do 200 rverbs with no problem

my build was just around $600
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. Windows XP 32-bit, SP 3

2. Intel multi-core PC, with 3 x 750 GB of HD space = 2.25 TB total, 4 gig RAM, Antec PSU+case. Quiet! 24" Full HD screen etc. Self-built.

3. Steinberg Cubase 4.5.2 with Waves Platinum bundle + NI stuff (Absynth, Akoustik Piano)

4. Presonus stuff

5. Sometimes when activating a certain Waves plug (or two) the sound is lost. I am suspecting this is related to a Shared IRQ of the interface.

6. Guess it can always be better, but I am doing both movie post production sound and music, so there are other important areas to invest in currently (mics, instruments, etc)

7. My system is great because Cubase handles both the post production + music-related lines of my work with no problem. The same can be said about the majority of the Waves plugs I own.

8. You don't need to load 300 plugins to get the job done. Don't sweat if your DAW setup can't break some geeky number-crunching benchmark test records. Don't sweat if you don't have this year's coolest plug-in. Only sweat because of the sheer excitement you get from your results!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari ➑️
8. You don't need to load 300 plugins to get the job done. Don't sweat if your DAW setup can't break some geeky number-crunching benchmark test records. Don't sweat if you don't have this year's coolest plug-in. Only sweat because of the sheer excitement you get from your results!
+1

@R3altruth: Considering the size of my projects (16 audio tracks, no streaming), which may be exotic by GS standards, my HD is rather bored. So why get a loud, hot, energy sucking drive to triple my current transfer rate (and you can hardly more than triple it!), as long as I can live with what I have?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
xp. still useing my trusty acer dual core that some geeks told me ...lol...a year or more back was consumer crap. so much for opinions. not one crash. runs day in/out.
rock solid.
done god knows how many songs useing it. at least over 60..forgotten.
album plus ep plus lots of other songs.
will do 80 traks. way more than i need for a song.
waiting now for next big jump. affordeable 16 cores in a few years time hopefully.
i run the daw software in my sig.
i'm happy. lotsa fun.
uber ADA would be nice, but i do ok with wot i got.
would buy uber ADA if i won a lottery lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OS 10.4.11
Dual 2 GHz G5 - 3 Gb RAM
Cubase SX 3.1.1

2xUAD-1

RME FF800
Benchmark DA
Lucid AD

Latency free monitoring so I may run Cubase on 2048 samples buffer = infinite power. Haven't run out of power so far on 60+ track projects with some VSTis.

No upgrades on this DAW. Everything works nice.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
1) Operating System, Mac OS 10.4.3
2) G4 dual 867MHz
3) Logic 6.4
4) Motu 828 BLA mod
5) Limitations: all mine
6) My system would be better if I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING.
7) My system is great because IT WORKS.
8) UAD-1

So this machine is 7 years old. So what.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Workstation
--------------------
1) Windows Vista x64
2) Dual Quadcore Xeon (X5450), 16GB, Dual 26" TFT monitors (1900 x 1200)
3) Ableton Live 7
4) E-mu 1820M
5) Annoying fan-noise
6) My system would be better if its fans were quieter.
7) My system is great because I may use the computer for both music and software development without any performance hits. The hardware is quite powerful so when using the computer for software development I usually run one or two virtual PC's on the same machine.
8) -

Server
--------------------
1) Windows 2008 Server x64 running two virtual servers
2) Dual Quadcore Xeon (X5420), 12GB, RAID disk controller, 8 x SAS @ 146GB/15000 rpm
3) Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Team Foundation Server
4) None
5) The physical dimensions of the server is quite large so it won't fit my current computer rack.
6) My system would be better if the dimesions of it were smaller
7) My system is great because I finally have a reliable server that I can use for storage and project handling of my work.
8) HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Server
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Win XP SP2

2Gb RAM, Dual 1.8 Athlon, Self Build

Cubase 4 Studio

Firepod soon to be FF800

1 UAD1 card is not enough

Motre power will always be nice. Better software would be even nicer.

It was cheap, quiet, rock solid and has plenty of power for audio. The Mac Pro in the studio I work in crashes appx. once a week. My PC has crashed twice in two years and is faster.
Old 11th February 2009
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1) Operating System, 32 or 64 bit - XP 32 bit
2) Hardware (CPU/Memory, Self-build or bought whole) ADK Built Q6600 Dual 2.4 w/ 4 gigs Ram Intel D975XBX2 extreme mobo
3) Main Software Used (Sonar, Gigasampler, Windows Solitaire, etc) - Sonar
4) Interface type and Model (Firewire MOTU, PCI Echo, etc) - RME Multiface II (PCI)
6) My system would be better if -A little more consistent with my 3 UAD1 cards - can be a little finicky at times - i think this is more about Sonar then my computer though.
7) My system is great because - It is solid and never flakes out on me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Intel Core Quantum, my work on earth is done.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Macbook 2,0Ghz
OSX 10.4.10
2,5GB RAM

Running Logic Pro 8

Interfaces:
M-Audio NRV10
Apogee Duet

Ocasional crash, mainly due to the heavy use of convolution reverbs during mixing. Still, it works very well and has been putting out records nicely (mainly live shows and some studio work).
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
8 cores really only benefits you down the road... No DAW (or decent game for that matter) fully supports multicore processing... best case scenario, maybe 2... not 4.. definitely not 8.... The first program to fully take advantage of 8 cores, and you're going to flip out at how much faster it runs on your machine...
Going to have to say fud on this part.

PT / Live do support multicores, just SOME PLUGINS don't have support for multicore yet, which basically why we need procesing power in the first place. No daw (or any program for that matter) will take 'full advantage' of quad/octo cores. I've seen programs that due take advantage of additional cores, but it does not scale well.

If you go to PT>Setup>Playback Engine - It shows RTAS Processors - how ever many cores you have. Mine shows 4 and it processes just like that as well.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years

Leopard 10.5.6

8 Core 3 Ghz / 16GB ram / 320GB WD HD (OS) + 250GB ST HD (Samples) +500GB ST HD (Audio Drive) / Bought

Logic 8.0.2

Apogee Duet

Haven't reach it yet.. though I keep trying...

Actually I like my system just fine... but I wouldn't mind trading the duet for a prism orpheus....

It handles everything I throw at it and then some!!!

8) Anything else you would like to share.[/QUOTE]

Mac all the way
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo ➑️
Going to have to say fud on this part.

PT / Live do support multicores, just SOME PLUGINS don't have support for multicore yet, which basically why we need procesing power in the first place. No daw (or any program for that matter) will take 'full advantage' of quad/octo cores. I've seen programs that due take advantage of additional cores, but it does not scale well.

If you go to PT>Setup>Playback Engine - It shows RTAS Processors - how ever many cores you have. Mine shows 4 and it processes just like that as well.

What program is using 8 cores?
Pro Tools is not showing a serious performance increase with multiple processors... I can assure you... and I'd go as fas as saying it can't in any way see more than 4 cores... even if they are on a single silicon wafer (Such is the case with the intel multi-core as opposed to the AMD counterparts being on separate silicon wafers)
And it's not even doing 4 well... AT ALL
Thats why I said "Fully supports"
Tons of programs say they support quad... You're right though about the plug ins... I'd say most plugins don't support multicore...
Video rendering suites generally use all your cores... Microsoft Flight simulator will too... Or so I've heard....
One advantage is if you have like a virus scan going in the background while using your daw... it wont freak your DAW out as much
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
check out the reaper forums a year ago now.
running on 8 cores.
if i remember it was a crazy trak count with crazy amount of plug ins.
(REAPER | About)

also check this benchmark out.
reaper performance viz other daw software.
D.A.W Bench : D.A.W Performance Benchmarking
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) Windows XP
2) Open labs Miko Gen 4, quad 3.2gz., 4 gigs of ram
3) Protools 8
4) M audio Light Bridge/ Aurora lynx 16
5) NONE!!!
6) My system would be better if I could fit a PTHD inside..
7) it's all in one, I can bring it with me on the road, it's built like a tank and performance wise it's amazing
8) I like belgium chocolate
πŸ“ Reply