Quantcast
Poll: What are the specs of the computer are you using? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Poll: What are the specs of the computer are you using?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never had European chocolate but I am a chocolate lover... am I missing out?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's one that's a little different:

2 PCs linked by LAN with FX Teleport.

#1 is XP Pro SP2 on a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with 4 gigs RAM running Cubase SX3.1 and 4.5.2 It's got 3 internal hard drives-120 gigs for XP and programs, 160 gigs for Audio and 160 gigs for samples. Also have a 500 gig ESATA connected for more sample libraries and a USB drive for backup. Also have 4 UAD-1 and 3 Powercore MKII connected in an external SBS chassis.

#2 is a compact shuttle running XP Home SP2 on a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM. This is linked to the big machine by LAN running FX Teleport. This machine has 2 internal drives: 80 gig for XP and programs and a 120 gig for sample libraries; also a USB drive for backup. Does nothing but run plugins and VSTis...NI, IK, PSP...stuff not on the iLok.

You would think there might be problems with such a Byzantine setup, but LOL, it's all flawless and smooth as silk. Yeah, I have to run a 2048 buffer, but I manage. I can appreciate the limits of it, though, since I started running Cubase on my little Macbook 2.2 Core 2 Duo...much faster @128 buffer! Can't tell you how many times I've had the phone in my hand ready to order a new quad core rig. It's not the cost so much that gives me pause, it's the dread of days of installations, authorizations, updates and troubleshooting. At this stage of the game, I think I'll just wait until i7 is established and, who knows, maybe switch to a Mac Pro?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➡️
I've never had European chocolate but I am a chocolate lover... am I missing out?
look, go to walmart and buy THIS!!!

Walmart.com: Guylian: Belgian Chocolate Sea Shells, 8.82 oz: Candy, Chocolate & Gum

you will thank me laterheh
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
1) XP 32
2) P5W DH Deluxe, E6600, 2x 1Gb DDR2 600.
3) Cubase 5
4) RME HDSP9652, 2x UAD PCI
5) running all inserts on the uad. FX natively (except for UAD140) and tape/dist emu's on most channels it chokes at about 40 tracks
6) My system would be better if I insert the Q6600 which I have on this desk right now.
7) My system is great because this mobo is old (in computer years) and is still up to spec. Stable as hell
8) Belgian Chocolate rules, but imho Guylian is one of our worst brands. Check out Leonidas, Godiva or Neuhaus.

Herwig
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet ➡️
8) Belgian Chocolate rules, but imho Guylian is one of our worst brands. Check out Leonidas, Godiva or Neuhaus.

Herwig
I totally agree!!! but in the US that's all I could find easily (walmart)
gosh I miss my Leonidas, Jeff de Bruges etc.. Chocolat from when I was living in Europe...Guylian will have to do nowheh
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
system 1;

windows xp 32 bit/vista 64 bit dual boot
amd phenom triple core 8450 @2.1Ghz
msi k9a2gm amd 780G chipset mobo
6GB ram
3 320 GB seagate 7200.10 sata drives (1 for audio tasks, 2 for data)
1 300 GB seagate 7200.9 pata (backup drive)
2 150 GB wd raptors 10,000 rpm boot drives for xp and vista
kingwin aluminum mid tower
raidmax volcano psu 630 watts

systems 2-6 (3d render boxes/extra vsti hosts)

windows xp 64 bit
2x amd opteron 246 @2.00 Ghz
4GB ecc registered ddr 400
tyan s2875 motehrboards
geforce fx5500 256 mb vid cards
1 10,000 rpm wd raptor 36Gb sata drive
400 watt generic psu's

system 7 (server)

server 2003 32 bit
2x amd opteron 240 @1.4 Ghz
2Gb ecc registered ram
tyan ? motherboard (was an oem with no labeling other than tyan)
onboard ati rage crap video
350 watt 1u power supply
2 200 Gb seagate sata drives (data)
1 36 GB wd raptor 10,000 rpm boot drive
1 300 GB wd sata drive (data)

system 8 (joke box just because i can)

windows xp 32 bit
asus socket 370 fpga board
intel pentium 3 tualitin @1.2 Ghz
1 GB ram
3dfx voodoo 5500 video card
SB live
dvd burner
40 GB 7200 rpm pata drive
generic 350 watt power supply
all housed in 2 seperate white cardboard boxes that fit everything perfectly. the mobo sits in box one and takes the entire width and length and the height of the cards is exactly the inside height of the box so closing the lid secures them nicely. box 2 houses the hard drive, power supply and dvd burner and the cables run betweent the 2 boxes.

system 9

windows 98
pentium 3 600 Mhz
msi mobo w/ intel BX chipset (needed for damn lexicon core 2)
768 MB ram
onboard video
lexicon core 2 audio card 4 in 8 out 24bit 48khz
1u rackmount case

and systems 10-xx
are for sale...

got a couple of nice sun workstations with dual core am2 cpus and quadro vid cards, some ibm laptops, some generic stuff with p4's and socket a & 754 athlons, a few ibm desktops, etc....

2 projectors 4 monitors and 2 KVM switches

the studio is quite a mess right now as i'm transitioning from audio to 3d work, video and audio presentation stuff. i even have my video dj hat on once in a while. i keep hearing about this economic meltdown but recently i've been busier and making more money than ever before.
📝 Reply