Quantcast
OSX Panther & 64 bit CPU'S - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OSX Panther & 64 bit CPU'S
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
OSX Panther & 64 bit CPU'S

What impact will the arrival of the new version of osx have (Panther), if it is incorprated with a new G4/G5 64 bit cpu ?
Will this effect the summing buss ghost?
Post your thoughts on how this will effect digital recording host based and native. Latency, Etc.....
Also Will this change require new software and hardware, or just software.
Thanks,
Makoto
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
No one want to take a shot a this question?
Seems so important in all aspects of moving into the near future, such as gear and computer purchasing.

Well, I hope some of you can give some insight.
Thanks again,
Makoto
Old 9th April 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
"...What impact will the arrival of the new version of osx have (Panther), if it is incorprated with a new G4/G5 64 bit cpu..."

I'm _no_ expert at all. Not at all! From what I've seen on the mac forums is that there should very few problems. Apparently Apple planned ahead. The rumors have it that 32bit apps will have a very small effect on the overall performance of hte OS and hardware.

My guess is that Apple expects the HAL and kernel to take care of the dirty work. I suppose that this holds true only if the developers write to the Apple specs (core-audio, core-MIDI, etc.). It seems that PT6 doesn't (no core-audio drivers yet) so I suppose all bets are off in that case (_please_ correct me if I'm wrong). Digi are no fools however. They've not worked so hard on PT6 only to have to redo everything for a 64bit system. Right????? ;>)

Check out http://www.macslash.net for various rumors and opinions.
Here's to 64bit and the IBM 970!! Can't come soon enough. Woo Hooo!

L. D.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It's the Front Side Bus, Stupid.....

Here's the real question for Native DAW users: what will the new front side bus run at if Apple goes with the PPC 970? I have read that the 970 likes to have a bus speed of 1/2 the processor speed. This would mean that the 1.8GHz chip rumored to be the first release would have an FSB of 900mHz! Compared to the paltry 167MHz we have to live with now, This more than anything would enhance workstation perfomance.

Lets hope we hear something at the WWDC in June.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…