Quantcast
PT8 Latch Record Enable (On all tracks) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT8 Latch Record Enable (On all tracks)
Old 6th February 2009
  #1
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
PT8 Latch Record Enable (On all tracks)

I hope you guys can help me to find out if there's a way to record enable one track in PT8 and that ONLY that track got enabled. There's an option in the preferences window that allows you to do something like that but sadly it's only working on the same type of tracks and what I mean by that is that if I record enable an Audio track and then a MIDI track both of them get record enabled.

I'd love to find a feature that'd let you enable one track and that regardless of its type ONLY that track would get record enabled.
Old 8th February 2009
  #2
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➑️
I hope you guys can help me to find out if there's a way to record enable one track in PT8 and that ONLY that track got enabled. There's an option in the preferences window that allows you to do something like that but sadly it's only working on the same type of tracks and what I mean by that is that if I record enable an Audio track and then a MIDI track both of them get record enabled.

I'd love to find a feature that'd let you enable one track and that regardless of its type ONLY that track would get record enabled.
That's not possible!

Get out of PT and get a good Nuendo on a PC.
Old 8th February 2009
  #3
Deleted 1a30a04
Guest
By default, Audio tracks in Protools have latch recording
enabled .. you can turn it off in the

Setup->Preferences->Operation->Record

section.

As was noted, MIDI and Instrument tracks behave as if Latch
is off .. you can use Shift + Click Record to enable multiple
tracks. As far as I know, there is no setting to be able to
toggle latch behavior for these track types.

I'm not sure what the design decision was to have audio tracks
behave differently from Midi and Instrument tracks in Protools.

But it is an inconsistency for sure.. apparently by design.

jeff
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➑️
As far as I know, there is no setting to be able to
toggle latch behavior for these track types.

I'm not sure what the design decision was to have audio tracks
behave differently from Midi and Instrument tracks in Protools.

But it is an inconsistency for sure.. apparently by design.

jeff
I was hoping there was a way to link that behavior (an other functions as well) between Audio and MIDI tracks.

I hate that you can only use command + down/up arrow (to record enable the next track) with MIDI only. Such a great shortcut but not so if you can only use it with MIDI .
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Deleted 1a30a04
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➑️
I hate that you can only use command + down/up arrow (to record enable the next track) with MIDI only. Such a great shortcut but not so if you can only use it with MIDI .
It's almost as if MIDI was an after-thought .. (ducks... ;-) ).

jeff
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah, I've mentioned this to Scott Church, who said that he'd look into it.

That drives me CRAZY every single day. I'm constantly erasing MIDI data or audio data when I forget to take one or the other out of record enable.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase ➑️
That's not possible!

Get out of PT and get a good Nuendo on a PC.
how very helpful. As opposed to a bad nuendo, or perhaps just an average one?
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick ➑️
That drives me CRAZY every single day. I'm constantly erasing MIDI data or audio data when I forget to take one or the other out of record enable.
That's exactly why I'd love to have that feature for audio AND midi tracks.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
how very helpful. As opposed to a bad nuendo, or perhaps just an average one?
The average one is the one that makes you only a monkey, the bad Nuendo makes you a psycho monkey, it's your call. heh
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Any news on this ?
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➑️
Any news on this ?
No news yet. Im gonna keep on insisting though. I really hope they fix this soon.
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Okay, I'm not a PT guy but I recently got a job working on a PT6 rig (I know, right?), and in reading the PT6 manual, I came across this:

"Global Key Commands...
Toggle item and set all others to opposite state: Command-click item (Mac) or Control-click item (PC)"

This should work, theoretically?
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 ➑️
Okay, I'm not a PT guy but I recently got a job working on a PT6 rig (I know, right?), and in reading the PT6 manual, I came across this:

"Global Key Commands...
Toggle item and set all others to opposite state: Command-click item (Mac) or Control-click item (PC)"

This should work, theoretically?
Thanks for your reply but you're talking about something different. I want to hit record on a track and that only that channel gets record enabled, so far you just can do that either with MIDI or with Audio tracks.
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I understand what you're trying to do, but that command is I think for functions like solo, mute, etc... Have you tried it out for this? It follows to me that it might work for rec-enable too...
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
My main problem is:

When IΒ΄m working with instrument tracks on my d-command
I like to record enable several tracks
with ONE hand to play STACK SOUNDS(while the other hand is playing on keyboard).

I hate that I cant do this without having to press option with my second hand.
It just stands in my way.

It works with audio tracks -
it should work with midi and instrument tracks as well (like when stacking sounds)
Digidesign could implement this feature in PREFERENCES
Old 5th May 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Geert van den Berg's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➑️
I hope you guys can help me to find out if there's a way to record enable one track in PT8 and that ONLY that track got enabled..
I read over your questions a couple of times, but I really don't understand what you're saying. Reading the other replies have not made me any wiser.

Click on the record enable button of a track and only that track gets record enabled?

Alt click on a tracks rec enable button and all tracks gets rec enabled, except for those that are in rec save.

shift-alt click on a rec enable button and only the selected tracks get record enabled.

Or do you mean that you want a keycommand to record enable the next or previous track in the DAW?
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I guess the confusion is because what I'm talking about is when you have the "Latch Record Enable Buttons" option not selected in the Record Preferences.

PT8 Latch Record Enable (On all tracks)-latch-record-enable.jpg

This feature could be great if it worked with AUDIO and MIDI tracks but it doesn't, so if you're recording a MIDI track and then change to an AUDIO track the MIDI track doesn't go out of record and gets erased.

Stick knows exactly about what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick ➑️
Yeah, I've mentioned this to Scott Church, who said that he'd look into it.

That drives me CRAZY every single day. I'm constantly erasing MIDI data or audio data when I forget to take one or the other out of record enable.
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
  #18
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➑️
I guess the confusion is because what I'm talking about is when you have the "Latch Record Enable Buttons" option not selected in the Record Preferences.

Attachment 120319

This feature could be great if it worked with AUDIO and MIDI tracks but it doesn't, so if you're recording a MIDI track and then change to an AUDIO track the MIDI track doesn't go out of record and gets erased.

Stick knows exactly about what I'm talking about:
This suck's big time, I can't believe that "the standard" lacks of these feature, every DAW program can do this, DP. Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, etc,etc..... dfegaddfegaddfegaddfegad digi
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Deleted User
Guest
OP means... I think...

Record midi on a midi track. Quantize, edit midi. Now to use quantized midi to record audio from a keyboard, you have to disarm the midi track and then arm the desired audio track.

The disarming of the midi track is where the "pain in the arse" lies.

The record arming is not linked between midi and audio tracks (don't know about instrument). Record arming midi tracks will disarm any previous midi tracks, but not audio tracks... Record arming audio tracks will disarm any previous audio tracks, but not midi tracks.

Just remember, If you catch yourself doing this (recording over something you don't want to record over, midi or audio), command '.' (while still recording, before you hit the spacebar to stop) will make it so it never happened. Clients even magically forget that it happened. Just don't say "oops".

Last edited by Deleted User; 6th May 2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: forgot to hit command '.', i f'ed up.
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm with Geert van den Berg, don't even understand the real question. Maybe I'm too tired.
TD
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Moderator
 
Oroz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon ➑️
I'm with Geert van den Berg, don't even understand the real question. Maybe I'm too tired.
TD
I think some of you are used to the default way of "Record Latching". Look at post #17 where you can clearly see (from the manual) what I'm talking about.
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
  #22
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➑️
I think some of you are used to the default way of "Record Latching". Look at post #17 where you can clearly see (from the manual) what I'm talking about.
Ok so, you can't do that between Audio and midi channels right? I mean, in "Pro" tools.
If you are recording a Midi track and then want to record an AUDIO track, if you forget to disable the record button of your midi track, you would erase your midi track by accident.

All decent software have an option where you can select a midi channel and if you change to an audio channel, the midi track gets "record disabled" automatically.

Wow, thanks god I'm not in Protools anymore.

oOp.
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Actually, Logic works the same way for me... maybe there's an option to disable that in Logic... anyone?
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Pepe Ortega's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase ➑️
Ok so, you can't do that between Audio and midi channels right? I mean, in "Pro" tools.
If you are recording a Midi track and then want to record an AUDIO track, if you forget to disable the record button of your midi track, you would erase your midi track by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick ➑️
Actually, Logic works the same way for me... maybe there's an option to disable that in Logic... anyone?
No problems on Logic. If you are recording a midi track and then select and audio track, record is disabled on midi tracks..
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase ➑️
Ok so, you can't do that between Audio and midi channels right? I mean, in "Pro" tools.
If you are recording a Midi track and then want to record an AUDIO track, if you forget to disable the record button of your midi track, you would erase your midi track by accident.

All decent software have an option where you can select a midi channel and if you change to an audio channel, the midi track gets "record disabled" automatically.

Wow, thanks god I'm not in Protools anymore.

oOp.
Yes and after reading your posts, I guess this is why analogue tape sucks too. If you left it in rec mode, suprisingly it will record...
TD
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
  #26
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon ➑️
Yes and after reading your posts, I guess this is why analogue tape sucks too. If you left it in rec mode, suprisingly it will record...
TD
Surprisingly nobody use analogue tape anymore. We are in 2009, why Digi can't implement what ALL other DAW software already have?


dfegad "pro"tools.
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase ➑️
Surprisingly nobody use analogue tape anymore. We are in 2009, why Digi can't implement what ALL other DAW software already have?


dfegad "pro"tools.
We can argue all day long, there are many things that pt has, and others doesn't. I don't chase foolproof features, they are not too worthy in my eyes.
Tamas Dragon
Old 9th May 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
This will be my first and last post.

On occasion i have looked through Gearslutz pages, for some advice, solutions, general info.

And i have noticed that when people need help, they rarely get it!!
There is always someone who thinks that their DAW is better than yours!
Particularly 'Logic' users bashing the hell out of 'Pro Tools'.

These programs can all produce the same results in the end.
Depending on how good the individual is.

If people spent more time writing & producing, instead of wasting precious
time on these forums, they could become successful.
Hence my "first & last post"

I've sold records produced on Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton....

What software do i use..............WHO CARES!!!!! GET ON WITH IT!!!!!

Cheers,

MarkPTHD
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 32310
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 15929 views: 1533242
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 181749
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump