Quantcast
MOTU BPM is a TOTAL | NO GO | on PT 8 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU BPM is a TOTAL | NO GO | on PT 8
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried NI Maschine against BPM??

The reviews I've read about Maschine seem much more positive than those with BPM - admittedly, Maschine is a hardware/software combination and double the cost of BPM.

Sound On Sound's review of BPM was definately a lukewarm one. Not the sound content but many workflow issues were commented upon.
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'm using it , and it 's crazy now with the updates (under sonar) and it's crazy !!! i mean damn good !! the engine now is real good and so will the next gen of motu product , you know guyz that i wasn't a big fan of their engine back in the dayz but right now , it's the bomb !!

i know i'm not testing it under Pt 8 , but on my set up it's workin flawless !!

so go get a real sequencer and stop messing with the unpro tools hehto be more serious , you should try the pt forum...

i have tested mashine and i thind it ok but i prefer motu , and i kept the mashine library n bpm gve my mashine to a frind that begins daw production comin from a mpc beat bakin univers...the hardware feels pretty good , at that time the driver for being able to use it as a regular midi controller wasn' t out so definitly a deal breaker for me....

The only bad thing for is that the sequencer for the racks is not real good so for people who wants to do everything with bpm inckudin composin with instruments gotta keep in mind that it's not a sequencer like sonar , cubase logic ...but you caqn do nice playin for synth ....
Old 16th September 2009 | Show parent
PKP
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
BUMP!

Any users with PT 8.0.1 and BPM 1.04?
How it is going?
Motunation forum seem a bit quiet...
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Bpm pt8

Hello
Hope I ask you a Q. Just bought a BPM from a friend and installed in my PT HD3 / PT8 system - and is hangs / does not work at all. Can I ask which mac you are using? I wonder if my mac is too "old" - dual 2.2 / 4BG. BPM seems to require 60-70% av available plugin "power".
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➡️
I have copied this from my DUC Post...

Hi,

so I have been communicating, extensively, with Olivier Tristan, who is developing BPM. On their side they had Pro Tools 8 and BPM working just fine, regarding the Pro Tools 8.0 HANG, when pushing play in PT's Time Line. On my side it would cause PT 8 to hang every time doing that.

I am now happy to say, that it works flawlessly on my side as well.

Here is the problem:

Prior to installing BPM I had NO problems with PT 8.0. After installing BPM I had NO problems with any other VI or FX besides BPM.

After the first problems occurred I deleted all the usual PT suspects from the preferences folder, manually. But I was not "smart" enough to figure out, that there is now a new preference file called "Pro Tools v8.0 Preference". And I still had problems.

Then, yesterday - I said to myself, "Enough, and I created a new OS X Admin Account and tried running BPM as an RTAS there. And it worked just fine.

So I went back to my "faulty" account and started trouble shooting. I could have just kept the new account but:

1) I dont feel like moving a ton of preferences etc to get back on track
2) I dont much feel like having to, maybe do that once a week if the problem is appearing again
3) I like to know what is causing the problems so that I can trouble shoot FAST when it happens again

There is ONE culprit that is causing trouble 'tween PT 8.0 and MOTU BPM and that ALONE is

Pro Tools v8.0 Preference

residing in Home/Library/Preferences/

Removing that file from the Preferences folder, immediately, relieves the symptoms.
Putting it back inside after the test, immediately, re-activates the symptom

I removed that file on all my setups and all are now running perfectly fine with BPM. Besides the KNOWN BUGS which are:

1) Every time you close and re-open BPM you have to toggle the Input of the instrument track, on which, BPM is instantiated.
Digidesign is aware of this BUG and it, can afflict trouble on all UVI engines, and is to be addressed in a future CS release. So this one does not scribble on MPTU's account.

2) A small BUG in a FX setting of BPM which defaults to ZERO but states that the Value is 2.00

All in all, I am now extremely happy with BPM, which is probably the best thought through Drum Machine since the AKAI MPC3000. The sound library is awesome and the editing possibilities amazing. If anyone every implemented Drag and Drop to perfection, it is BPM. You can drag and drop virtually anything into it. The possibility of playing parts as well as drum sounds is truly great and anyone owning a UVI library can load those into BPM as well. My favorite thing in BPM is just the ease of flow. It is like an MPC4000 with Stylus RMX and OMNISPHERE integration. The sequencer is tight.

Any MPC user will simply adore this plug-in and he/she will finally have, virtually, DAW access to his MPC.
I setup and program the sequences in BPM. Then I drag the midi pattern to the desktop and import it into the MPC4000, I still like the AKAI Feel the most, and play it back there while it triggers all the sounds and sound effects in BPM.

What I really adore is this, I can just drag and drop ALL my MPC4000 drumsounds onto the pads of BPM and import the MidiFile - and like that I can have my whole MPC inside BPM. And that is a humongous bonus.

The more I play around with this software the more I love it. And now that the RTAS version is integrating perfectly, it has become even better.

As I first wrote, I thought of getting my money back. And I was really really contemplating that. But I kept playing around with the stand alone version to assure myself that getting the money back was the right option. But the more I played the more my jaws dropped and each hour, I was like "Shoooot, you can do that tooooooo"

The point that I am trying to make here is that even though the RTAS version would still not work. I would keep this software. Additionally, I feel very secure in the MOTU or should I say Universal SoundBank, support as they are truly great people who are more than willing to listen and help.

Anyway, BPM and PT 8.0 has potential problems for the user. But now you know EXACTLY what to do, in case you are having them. Just move the Pro Tools v8.0 Preference out of the Preferences folder and you are home free.

One more thing, I dont think the following issue is a BPM one but rather that of a PT 8. If you hit play in PT's timeline BPM will start to play. But after playing for a few seconds the whole PT interface gets sluggish and slow. First I thought it was BPM but if you stop PT and hit play on BPM. the PT interface is working fast. This problem is also caused by numerous of other VIs.

Anyway, Olivier Tristan, thank YOU very much for all your help and personality
Old 12th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yep Olivier is really a great guy and the team too ....the only sad thing is that they 're so talented that they handle a lot of developpement and so, time giving to enhance bpm is , imho, not enougth !!

while native has just annouced the vst support !
Old 23rd May 2011 | Show parent
restpause
Is anyone currently using BPM 1.5 ?

What's it like these days?
Old 6th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist ➡️
Is anyone currently using BPM 1.5 ?

What's it like these days?
Yes, I'm using BPM 1.5. It is nothing wrong with it, although the logic behind its ASIO using is a mystery. Please read this:

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/580490-ok-i-take-motu-bpm-sucks-pc.html#post6720014
restpause
Well I bit the bullet and bought MOTU BPM 1.5. I have only been using it in standalone mode, but it works OK. I wish it rendered 24-bit instead of 16-bit audio files, but that's OK; they still sound good.

I have found that I have to set the sample rate to 48 kHz otherwise I get buffer glitches on some sounds too. Standalone mode is enough for me. I can't really see myself using this as a VSTi.

The other issue is the default MIDI pad mapping is really annoying. But thankfully custom settings can be saved in each Performance.

Overall it was worth it, but it sure had a lot of installation hurdles with the iLok and those huge installation files. But I'm glad it came with a printed manual anyways.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Don't forget that you can make pad templates (i have one for machine , one for mpd 24, one for lpd 8 ect ...)

You better use in vst and keep your sequencer bounce the audio to benefit from your internal algorithm ....
📝 Reply