Windows XP optimization - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows XP optimization
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Windows XP optimization

Hi guys.

Which do you think are the best settings on a single processor pc (P4 2.0ghz/i845G chipset) exclusively for audio using a terratec pci card?
"ACPI pc" or "standard pc"? Write-behind cache enabled or disabled?

I read lots of things about these parameters but i couldn't come to a conclusion.

Thanks!
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerophone ➡️
Hi guys.

Which do you think are the best settings on a single processor pc (P4 2.0ghz/i845G chipset) exclusively for audio using a terratec pci card?
"ACPI pc" or "standard pc"? Write-behind cache enabled or disabled?

I read lots of things about these parameters but i couldn't come to a conclusion.

Thanks!
I'd stick with ACPI where possible. The advice to run as a standard PC is pretty outdated - XP handles things a lot better than previous versions. Ultimately though it comes down to your Terratec drivers - if they're badly written then you might be forced down the non-ACPI route. Try ACPI first and see how you get on. You can always change to standard PC later, but not the other way round.

I would think leave write-behind cache enabled. It's only something you really want to disable if there's a chance of a power loss before things get written to disk. Again really old hat and not something you should be worrying about really.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…