XP firewall exception question - a bit worried - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XP firewall exception question - a bit worried
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
XP firewall exception question - a bit worried

Hi folks,

Was just checking my firewall settings and noticed an exception called rcnpfka using TCP port 5096

I have deleted it, but wonder if anyone knows what it might be for?

And what about "run a dll as an app"? Can I delete that one?

thanks
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
That depends on the dll. Whether it's something good or bad I can't say. Anytime you've got something questionable trying to go out the best thing is to block it temporarily while doing an internet search on what it is.

That said - you should really be using something better than windows firewall. Sygate free at an absolute minimum. Run an antivirus scan at least once every two weeks. More if you're super careful. Hint - if you're downloading warez you're not being super careful.

Freeware that's not in your face: Clamwin, Stinger, Avira AntiVir Removal Tool. If you really want background scanning (again freeware) then I'd suggest Avast, Avira, or AVG. Pretty much in that order.

If you can avoid using your DAW as an machine that goes on the internet you should.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
hey dstroyallmnstrs Thanks for the firewall recommendation - I will def check it out

I don't do warez whastoever - definite no-no for me
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…