Quantcast
Phase Issues on Tuned Vocals w/Melodyne - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phase Issues on Tuned Vocals w/Melodyne
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Phase Issues on Tuned Vocals w/Melodyne

I normally tune with Autotune and just switched over to the Melodyne RTAS plugin in PT7. I'm very happy with Melodyne for single vocals. However, when I introduce a double, I'm finding a lot of phase issues when the two vocals are summed to mono.

My first thought was that two vocals that are tuned 100% will inherently have more phase issues. I tried doing a less specific tune [for both pitch center and pitch drift] on the second vocal, but to no avail. The pitch issues are still there, especially with the rest of the mix.

I also tried bouncing my tuned double and pulling it a dozen or so samples backwards to compensate for the delay in my LE system.

Anyone have any other suggestions about keeping that double tight but without phase issues? Thanks!
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I would love to know the answer to this as well. I've never used Auto Tune, but have had Melodyne for over a year. I love it
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have had crazy issues with it in Nuendo - far as I can tell, it's hit or miss. It's just plain wrong - if you solo your track without Melodyne in it and render it out, then stick the rendered track back in your project, you'll see that the rendered track is ahead by like 80 milliseconds or so. Enough so that backing vocals don't line up and lead vocals will push the beat.

I asked about it at AES, but they say they've never heard of it.

I suspect that most people just don't notice. And it doesn't always happen. Sometimes if I take out Melodyne then put it back in on the same track the problem goes away.

Hmmm.....

I love it except for that one little GIGANTIC problem... :-)
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've noticed that headphone bleed in the track can cause this "phasing" issue.....you might check for that.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I had tested many times all the 3 "big" tuning plugs. Autotune 6, Melodyne and Waves Tune.
And the verdict for me is:
Autotune 6 - the most transparent. Note edit implemented, nice but needs some things, like more zoom in...
Melodyne - has some artifacts. The 's's sounds very weird. It changes something to the sound... Besides that it's the most complete tuning editor...
Waves Tune - the worst algorithm of all 3. Some glitches sometimes. Can't get low than C1. (Sometimes I need some fixes on bass notes...) The best zoom of all 3.

So. I prefer the "clean" one. Autotune 6!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 ➡️
I had tested many times all the 3 "big" tuning plugs. Autotune 6, Melodyne and Waves Tune.
And the verdict for me is:
Autotune 6 - the most transparent. Note edit implemented, nice but needs some things, like more zoom in...
Melodyne - has some artifacts. The 's's sounds very weird. It changes something to the sound... Besides that it's the most complete tuning editor...
Waves Tune - the worst algorithm of all 3. Some glitches sometimes. Can't get low than C1. (Sometimes I need some fixes on bass notes...) The best zoom of all 3.

So. I prefer the "clean" one. Autotune 6!
Interesting opinion. I didn't even know they had an Auto Tune 6 from Antares yet. Personally, I have used Melodyne for 2 years and don't remember (s's) sounding weird at all. And I used to sing through a Rode NTK which is the most sibiliant mic ever. But you have me interested in Auto Tune 6. I know Melodyne. How would you recommend learning Auto Tune 6 in the most efficient way? I'm a guy who isn't sure what key the song is. Ya feel me? lol. Melodyne doesn't make me figure out what key the song is in. But hey, I'd love to hear a transparent type of pitch correction. Let's face it, more singers than not need pitch correction nowdays. Anyone disagree or can add some insight?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
celemony_ • View topic - Phasing after Pitch correction

My gut feel is I'd tune the double more tightly and let the "lead" be more loose, i.e., less correction for the lead (maybe even manually only for the notes that really sound "off") and a closer to 100% automatic tuning of the double.

With sibilants, when the sound "phasey", I separate them to be notes of their own and do a "Edit->Pitch->Set all pitch related things to Original" (or so, my version is German).

Oh, and visit the Celemony forums. The guys are very nice there, and even the developers post occasionally.

Good luck! Thomas
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I´ve noticed the timing and s-problem in Melodyne too..

I usually keep two vocal tracks running. One tuned and one untuned, and then i just mute/fade between those two.
Breaths, s´s, and other stuff can get weird in Melodyne, so i let my main-untuned track take care of that, and the tuned only when its needed.

Regarding the timing of Melodyne, its because its being recorded into the plugin and playback happens from Melodyne and not from your sequencer.
Just be careful.

I usually bounce my Melodyne track once i´ve done the editing, so im no longer dependant on the playback from the plugin.

Morten.
📝 Reply