Quantcast
Help me with my PC DAW (grounding issues and driver problems) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me with my PC DAW (grounding issues and driver problems)
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Help me with my PC DAW (grounding issues and driver problems)

Right. I've got 2 problems.

One - If I connect some devices to my USB ports on my PC the moment the 2 bits of metal touch (usb cable and the port) I can HEAR a slight click through my speakers. I'm assuming this isn't good. Maybe a grounding issue? But how? I don't understand it. The PC was built for my by Digital Village and has remained unchanged really. ideas?

Second problem - In Cubase when I go to Midi Devices or to select a midi input there are about 5 devices with the name "Usb Device". How do I get rid of these? It's impossible to tell whats what. There from things like an Old behringer bcf2000, akai mpd, etc etc None of them are named and its VERY confusing.

Any help would be appreciated. I always put these things off and never do anything about them....had enough of them now lol
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Smile

Hi msm07!

I assume you are on a desktop, right ? Laptops can have the same issue though.The grounding issue is not so uncommon on cheaper motherboards. It's not technically a grounding problem but rather shielding and the motherboard design. If you have your onboard audio device anabled I bet you can hear system noises like HDD, mouse movement or device swapping in your headphnes if you listen carefully. Right ? If that's the case then there is very little you can do about it.
It's not harmful to your system peripherals or there should not be any danger of using it that way it's just annoying. Pressuming that they built the system right and there is no "real" grounding issue. Hope also that the "pop" in your speakers is not that bad so it could potentioally cause the speaker itself.Not sure about your Midi setup in Cubase, I'd have to see that for it to offer any solutions.

Have a great day !
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The mobo is a Asus p5b deluxe. The problem hasn't always been there AFAIK.

And as for the "Usb Device" issue, its not just Cubase. Flstudio does it too, basically I no longer have some of those devices so I want to remove the drivers from the system, but as they are named simply "usb device" how can i find them to remove?
๐Ÿ“ Reply