Logic 8 problem with different macs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic 8 problem with different macs
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic 8 problem with different macs

Hi all,

My MacBook Pro crapped out on me last weekend (nvidia card problem), so I had to bring it in for repair and will get it back in a week or so. Meanwhile, I still have to finish some mixes, and a friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his old G4. Now, I have Logic and my plugs installed and running, but when I open my recorded sessions and press play, I hear nothing but noise. Strange enough the reverb tails do sound OK.

I guess it has to do with the fact that the project has been made and recorded on an intel Mac running 10.5.6, and now I'm trying to open the stuff on a G4 (i.e. non-intel) running 10.4.11.

Is there any way to solve this?

Best!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Basically not.
You have more than one issue in this case: the pure processor power, which is of course much lower. And the architecture, you worked on an Intel machine while now you're working on the good old PPC. It means there's a chance that many plugs won't work and/or their presets/settings could be lost. Also, you don't tell us which version of Logic you're running on the G4.
Keep in mind there are retro-compatibility issues, too.
It would have been easier if you just had the bounced audio tracks from your original project, to import in a new session on the G4.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the input.

That would have been easier indeed, but the card in my MBP just quit all of a sudden, so I had no time to bounce these tracks. I'm glad I recorded them to an external HD en burned the directories to a DVD afterwards, otherwise things would have been worse. The plugins seem to work fine and the presets are all there though, just no audio (except noise).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic 8 and many plugins from 3rd party that run great on intel don't work on PPC mac's anymore. Hell i think even that Logic 8 don't support the G4 PPC structure. And then again, some plugins don't have the native support anymore build in them and only work for intel mac's x86 structure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah you're right. I'll just have to (ab)use my sister's MacBook then heh
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…