Have you guys seen this? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Have you guys seen this?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs down Have you guys seen this?

blog | analogindustries.com
This Yacht jackass's music is as lame as his excuses and fake-ass positivity trip.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH ➑️
This Yacht jackass's music is as lame as his excuses and fake-ass positivity trip.
a few years ago i had a friend who used cracks all the time...
so i sampled a few of his songs and played them for him(never played for anyone else) he was PISSED til i asked him what was the difference from what he did...
he quit using cracks after that...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a record by Yacht that came out on a pretty high profile indie. Since they are clearly making money from their productions it is unbelievably pitiful that they would crow about using illegal software.
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Can we say jive ass skank in this forum? I hope so.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Gotta quibble about his analogy, there's a reason that copyright infringement is its own crime and theft is another. Theft deprives someone of his or her original property, copyright infringement creates an identical copy without legally being entitled to do so but does not remove the original from the legitimate owner's possession. Other than that, it's still true that the guy pirating software and bragging about it is a total and complete slime, and the industry can't afford to take a soft stance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good job on AD for the google bomb. That's a damn fine way to handle these situations.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This post in the comments sums it up best:

Quote:
As a former police officer, I saw Jona's type all the time. They're very sorry for what they did...once they'd been caught.

He's the kind of person that hates all lawyers, except his lawyer. He hates the government, until it "owes" him something. He hates the police, until he needs one to save his ass. He hates corporations (like AD even though it's two people) because they charge for things that should be free, yet his music is for sale on Itunes. People should gladly pay him for his efforts because, well, because it's different when it's him! He's pro-rainbow!

Is everyone a pirate? No Jona they aren't. All my money goes to medical bills right now, so I can't buy even one AD plug-in. I really want a couple of them and I even know where to go get the pirated copies, but I'll wait until I can pay for them. Not because I have to but because I want to. Anyone providing a valuable product or service should be paid for their efforts or those providers will disappear.
Audio Alchemist

What a ****ing twat that Jona Bechtolt. I'd rip his ****ing head off if he stole my software.

Hm, ahh I need to chill out now.

I bet this isn't going to help his Google status (real hypertext URL links rate higher than regular links): Yacht - Jona Bechtolt

🎧 10 years
Let's make all his music freely available

In fact the companies he's pilfered from should host his music for 16 bit 44.1k download.
Audio Alchemist

Jesus wouldn't approve.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OK, Ill bite. The Audio Damage analogy is flawed. If I buy a candy bar I can do whatever I want with it. I can make Smores or even dissect it and take out the chocolate and use it for something different. If I buy a candy bar it actually belongs to me. The candy bar manufacturer cannot take my candy bar away from me at anytime, nor restrict my enjoyment of it in any way.

Audio Damage plugins can NEVER belong to me. They are licensed for my use, an important distinction.

<this post is not an advocacy of piracy>
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➑️
Gotta quibble about his analogy, there's a reason that copyright infringement is its own crime and theft is another. Theft deprives someone of his or her original property, copyright infringement creates an identical copy without legally being entitled to do so but does not remove the original from the legitimate owner's possession.
Gotta quibble with your logic I'm afraid. Copyright infringement is a KIND of theft, but it's theft nonetheless. I believe the audio damage folks do a fair job of explaining that in their letter.

Whether something is or isn't 'theft' isn't determined by how badly the owner suffered. You can steal from someone who doesn't even know what you took is missing -- it's still theft. As the AD developers say, if something has a price tag on it and you knowingly take it without paying said price, presto! You're a thief! Is it 'serious stealing' or 'petty crime'? That part's debatable I guess. But it's theft nonetheless, plain and simple.

Mind you, of course I totally agree with your conclusion: that Jona guy's an ignorant slime. Just so sad he has so many like minded young pals these days.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➑️
OK, Ill bite. The Audio Damage analogy is flawed. If I buy a candy bar I can do whatever I want with it. I can make Smores or even dissect it and take out the chocolate and use it for something different. If I buy a candy bar it actually belongs to me. The candy bar manufacturer cannot take my candy bar away from me at anytime, nor restrict my enjoyment of it in any way.

Audio Damage plugins can NEVER belong to me. They are licensed for my use, an important distinction.

<this post is not an advocacy of piracy>
I really don't give a crap about AD or their piracy problems but I really care about a generation of young people that think they deserve to have the world at their feet. If Angus Young advocated stealing candy bars or anything else when I was 12 I might have different opinion of what is right and wrong today. Role models are powerful influences.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just forget the candy bar as an analogy because once you use it it is gone forever. The reason software or digital music had some restrictions is because it can be used again and again. Anyway the only way to slow this down would be to place responsibility on file sharing providers. Some kind of disclaimer stating not to place anything illegal is useless and what could I find that was legal there.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sad but true. Most software manuf. not wrapped in an ilok probably have more pirates as users than paying customers. I think it is very sad that a company even have to think about PROTECTING their software from theft. many software companies are spending a lot of money to protect their software. Money, they could spend on development if it weren't for the pirates.

Theft is theft. There is NO gradient here. Be it someone breaking into your house and stealing you tivo or someone using a crack software.

Not that it matters but I think someone stealing a piece of software should be punished harder than someone grabbing a candy bar out of a store.

Jonah - You Suck and I hope, no I know, that Nemesis will catch up with you....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

Hi guys !
I really like how this was handled !
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Let's make all his music freely available

It will be, as is anything that is software related!

Firstly, I am not condoning piracy in any way!!.... however..

I wonder, how do many of you feel about copyright infringement with regards to sampling etc... considering 90% of the 80's & 90's based dance culture was structured around this? Would you consider this the same?

I think that music will always attract a "criminal" element in it's nature, whether it's sampling, cracked software, drug use, or gun crime, as is of course rife with most modern "urban" cultures...

I would be interested to hear your opinions on this.

I am purely making these points from a discussion point of view, and I'm not trying to rattle any cages here, so don't get carried away ! heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➑️

Theft is theft. There is NO gradient here. Be it someone breaking into your house and stealing you tivo or someone using a crack software.

You really, really, honestly, really think that pirating software is the same as breaking into someones house? No, no you don't. There is a gradient.

What Jonah did was wrong, but the wrongness largely resides in boasting about his crime, and still expecting his music to hold financial value (on account of his "pro-rainbows" status). I don't want to defend him in the slightest, but what he didn't really isn't on a par with house burglary.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
What Jonah did was wrong, just as is the rigid licensing agreements that put all the limitations and responsibilities on the consumer and give all the protections to the developers is wrong.

I like to own what I buy. When you 'buy' software your not even renting it! Read what your agreeing to folks. That is just as criminal as what Jonah did in my opinion.
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddle ➑️
I wonder, how do many of you feel about copyright infringement with regards to sampling etc... considering 90% of the 80's & 90's based dance culture was structured around this? Would you consider this the same?
Those who didn't clear their samples got to pay later when they got sued. Snap - I've Got The Power is a good example. Ouch!

People quickly learned and today most people pay for their samples, except of course Timbaland.
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by filin ➑️
You really, really, honestly, really think that pirating software is the same as breaking into someones house? No, no you don't. There is a gradient.
I do too.

If someone broke into my house and stole something I'd smack him down and give him to the police. If someone stole my software I'd smack him down too, if necessary, until I got my money. Same thing.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt ➑️
I do too.

If someone broke into my house and stole something I'd smack him down and give him to the police. If someone stole my software I'd smack him down too, if necessary, until I got my money. Same thing.
I have never read the licensing agreements of your software, but in general I believe your quite wrong because how can someone steal what they can never legitimately own in the first place? Something must be owned before it can be stolen.

This comes down to what your idea of property is. There is more than one interpretation.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
We all know what is right and wrong in essence and some just try to circumvent what is fair and justify it for their own ends.
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➑️
I have never read the licensing agreements of your software, but in general I believe your quite wrong because how can someone steal what they can never legitimately own in the first place? Something must be owned before it can be stolen..
So if you steal a rented car it's not really stealing?

Ahem... I believe not only is your analogy completely broken but it's a bit desperate quite frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl ➑️
We all know what is right and wrong in essence and some just try to circumvent what is fair and justify it for their own ends.
Exactly, it's just semantics in order to justify theft.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What a ****ing twat that Jona Bechtolt. I'd rip his ****ing head off if he stole my software.

Hm, ahh I need to chill out now.

I bet this isn't going to help his Google status (real hypertext URL links rate higher than regular links): Yacht - Jona Bechtolt
I always find a threat of violence especially persuasive when it comes from a guy in a really sharp sport coat.

heh

I'm so glad we've got to a point where it doesn't have to be explained over and over again that people who create software tools deserve to be paid just like someone who makes a preamp or mic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ahem... I believe not only is your analogy completely broken but it's a bit desperate quite frankly.

No, it's an important legal difference. Licensed software is not the same as a rented car. To correct the flaw in your analogy, it would be like making an exact copy of the rented car and keeping that, without depriving the original rental body of the car they have rented you, and then distributing the copy and further copies of the copy to anyone who wants it for free. Does it have an impact on your ability to rent out further cars? Probably, yes, and that's why software piracy is a ****ty thing to do. Is it identical to stealing the only rental car you have? No, not at all.
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I always find a threat of violence especially persuasive when it comes from a guy in a really sharp sport coat.

heh
Haha, yeah I know. Here's a picture of my arm after full contact Krav Maga training. Now, does that camouflage shirt scare you more than my coat? Heh heh, I just had to take a picture in the mirror in the morning. I also took a picture of my leg another day but that's just too nasty for this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➑️
To correct the flaw in your analogy, it would be like making an exact copy of the rented car and keeping that, without depriving the original rental body of the car they have rented you, and then distributing the copy and further copies of the copy to anyone who wants it for free.
Nah, I was just trying to pull his leg by making another ridiculous analogy.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Actually, nowadays there is no good reason to support audio software piracy anymore. One can get so many plugs and softs in a freeware format that are sufficient quality for diverse music making.

You know these, right?

DontCrac[k] - Audio Software instant Downloads at Dontcrack
VSTPLANET - VST Plugins Free - Virtual instruments and effects

and so on..

grab a Reaper, dish out 50 bucks and you're good to go

Quote:

I think that music will always attract a "criminal" element in it's nature, whether it's sampling, cracked software, drug use, or gun crime, as is of course rife with most modern "urban" cultures...

I would be interested to hear your opinions on this.
Amen Break is an excellent example:

YouTube - Amen Brother

It's a good watch
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do too.

Scenario A: You come home after a day at work/night out to find that your door is broken in, your possessions have all been rifled through, and some stuff is missing.

Scenario B: You go to someone elses studio and find a couple of things on their computer that they shouldn't have.

Sure, B is gonna make you angry, fists might fly, but I don't believe for a moment that it's going to have as much impact as A: Particularly if your home is also home to family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbruun ➑️
Actually, nowadays there is no good reason to support audio software piracy anymore. One can get so many plugs and softs in a freeware format that are sufficient quality for diverse music making.

Absolutely, there really is no need to stray outside of the law.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

ROTFLMAO ----- great analogy...... just plain and simple; great.
πŸ“ Reply