Quantcast
AHCI drivers & Windows XP. Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AHCI drivers & Windows XP. Help!
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AHCI drivers & Windows XP. Help!

I'm trying to get a new rig running, and for the first time ever I'm using SATA for my boot & optical drives.

I know I have to manually install the AHCI drivers in order to get maximum performance from my drives, but I thought I could use a usb flash-drive to do this. I'm running XP32, and an Asus tech today told me I had to use a floppy drive.

Well, my floppy drive doesn't seem to be working, for whatever reason. Bad drive, bad mobo controller, who knows?

Is there ANY way to do this from a flash drive? Some clever work-around?

If I just run my SATA drives in IDE mode, how much worse is the performance?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You would need to build XP using the AHCI drivers from the get go like you would with a RAID controller (i.e. hit F6 during the build to install a third party driver), AFAIK, you cannot do it after the install. From what I have read on Tom's hardware, there is not much difference in performance
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a way to do it post XP install.

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

Not sure if it's worth it though. Maybe someone else could chime in with real life benefits in doing so.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fantastic!

Thanks, Sardi.

I just found out that there's also another way: You can use nLITE to slipstream the drivers into your SO installer, then burn a new, custom OS install disk.

---------------------
Altitude,

I was told the same thing you wrote, about the speed difference not being that significant, from an Asus tech today. (thanks) In fact, the article Sardi references above even says that these drivers can HURT performance slightly. So, maybe I'll just install with the IDE drivers , to get running quickly, and run some benchmarks. -

Interestingly, my newest mobo's BIOS has a new setting I haven't seen before: Instead of using the AHCI drive setting, you can use the "IDE" setting, but then choose "enhanced." This must be some "in between" setting wich is good for typical desktop users. (and us)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you got a secondary SATA controller on your motherboard such as the JMicron? If so an easy way to install AHCI drivers is to temporarily plug your boot hard disk into the secondary controller ports (set to IDE) and set your main SATA ports to AHCI in the BIOS. This will enable you to boot into Windows and install the AHCI drivers before swapping back the hard disk to the main ports.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
do not do AHCI....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker ➡️

I just found out that there's also another way: You can use nLITE to slipstream the drivers into your SO installer, then burn a new, custom OS install disk.
nLITE works perfectly. Give it a try definietly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
usb sticks will work on most mobos when they´re FAT32 formatted!

but nlite is the best way to go.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➡️
do not do AHCI....
Care to elaborate?
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez ➡️
usb sticks will work on most mobos when they´re FAT32 formatted!
How does one format a flash drive? Just run from the Disk Management - local in Windows, like any other drive?

I've read that you can damage a flash drive by formatting it. Any tips, or things to be careful of?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi ➡️
Care to elaborate?
Allow me: AHCI can cause all sorts of problems with low latency audio performance. On my P35 based system idle average % CPU went from ~5% to 0% using legacy IDE rather than AHCI - audio performance improved no end as a result.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hugo, thanks for that very important data. It certainly jives with other reports.

I'm sure glad I started this thread.

-But now I have a new question: If I need to run an external raid array (for video editing) can I install raid drivers WITHOUT installing ACHI drivers?

If not, should I be looking at an external raid hardware controller? (vs the software controller)
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
El bumparino.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Buy a floppy. There $10. Problem solved.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hugo, thanks for that very important data. It certainly jives with other reports.

I'm sure glad I started this thread.

-But now I have a new question: If I need to run an external raid array (for video editing) can I install raid drivers WITHOUT installing ACHI drivers?

If not, should I be looking at an external raid hardware controller? (vs the software controller)
we dont install ACHI on our video boxes with Raid either....
you are not doing something right in the bios...

Scott
ADK
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➡️
Buy a floppy. There $10. Problem solved.
...or maybe not.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi ➡️
Care to elaborate?
there´s zero benefit. it´s not faster, in some cases slower and i noticed more fragmentation. all on different machines, weird.

Quote:
How does one format a flash drive? Just run from the Disk Management - local in Windows, like any other drive?

I've read that you can damage a flash drive by formatting it. Any tips, or things to be careful of?
you won´t damage your flash by formatting. yes, system control, disk management. FAT or FAT32.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…