The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cool 3rd little monitor option
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool 3rd little monitor option

7-inch USB-based MIMO monitors now shipping | Macworld

Mimo Monitors - Welcome

cool idea.. doesn't take a monitor port.. small and cheap.. could definitely see its uses for extra windows in DAWs.. meter bars, large counters, etc....
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That does look interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This would be perfect for SMPTE, real time analyzers, and transport displays. I only hope the USB interface will have low enough latency to make it responsive enough for metering.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

Hi guys !

Have you ever used a USB monitor ?
It's much slower than a regular monitor, so forget about anything that is being monitored in real time :-) That's why they are so small and the resolution so low.
Otherwise it's a great idea and I'm sure that there is a lot of useable apps for it.
I used an adapter that converts any monitor VGA input to USB so you can have 4 monitor support with 1 video card and several USB convertors.

Have a great day !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia - Audeum ➑️
Hi guys !

Have you ever used a USB monitor ?
It's much slower than a regular monitor, so forget about anything that is being monitored in real time :-) That's why they are so small and the resolution so low.
Otherwise it's a great idea and I'm sure that there is a lot of useable apps for it.
I used an adapter that converts any monitor VGA input to USB so you can have 4 monitor support with 1 video card and several USB convertors.

Have a great day !
Oh well.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Too bad. Is it even possible to use 3 monitors with a MAC via 2 graphics cards?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well you can have 2 monitors connected to 1 graphic card normally (mac pro speaking here). So when you have 2 graphic cards you could basically hang 4 monitors on it. Leopard support till 72 screens i thought with magma case, not sure btw...
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Actually the current MacPro as well as the 1st generation one do support up to 3 monitors with ONE graphicscard. They have 2 DVI Outs of which one is a dual link. You need a special y-cable that connects to one DVI port of the mac pro and enables you to hook up 2 monitors. And yes, they can be used a 2 different (!) monitors. The second DVI out of the graphiccard will supply your third monitor.

Have fun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness ➑️
Actually the current MacPro as well as the 1st generation one do support up to 3 monitors with ONE graphicscard. They have 2 DVI Outs of which one is a dual link. You need a special y-cable that connects to one DVI port of the mac pro and enables you to hook up 2 monitors. And yes, they can be used a 2 different (!) monitors. The second DVI out of the graphiccard will supply your third monitor.

Have fun
Serious?! Damn i didn't know that! Thats awesome! So i just buy a smaller 8inch monitor with a nice resolution, hook it on the duallink connection and have a small plugin/meter screen.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The other model is touchscreen, now that got me thinking of a lot uses for it but how bad is the refresh rate using USB.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
Serious?! Damn i didn't know that! Thats awesome! So i just buy a smaller 8inch monitor with a nice resolution, hook it on the duallink connection and have a small plugin/meter screen.
I didnt know that until a few days ago either. All wiki entries told me that and I will test it as soon as I can get a cable, but it should work. I dont know how this works with resolutions etc but hooking up 2 identical sized monitors to the dual link and another size to the single link should work easily.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbluness ➑️

Have fun
Cool! Thanks for the info
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…