Quantcast
Oxford EQ dated? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oxford EQ dated?
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Oxford EQ dated?

Here's my situation: Next week I'm moving into a friends studio, who mainly records rock bands, so that I can use his equipment and pc in the evening and at nights. He uses Cubase and has the Oxford bundle.
I produce house music with Ableton Live and use only the builtin eq. I've been reading a lot about eqs here. I've tested a few other vst eq demos, but I just can't here a difference. Every setting I dialed in with one eq I could recreate with another eq (including live's builtin eq), so I think my hearing aren't that much developed for the fine eq differences I read about here.
Should I just use live's eq and the Oxford eq or should I get a new one? The Apulsoft apeq for example has a great workflow plus a useful analyser. I'm concerted about eqing the low end of my kickdrum and the sub bass, since the oxford eq and live's eq arent linear phase and I read, that you should use a linear phase eq for this task.
Any insight?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Works fine for me.

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
Works fine for me.

So you use the Oxford eq for sub bass and kick drums?
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The reason you don't hear a difference is that there is no difference.

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...fact-myth.html

Linear phase EQs aren't usually good for bass region because of the pre-echo. Don't believe what you read, placebo effect is a part of all fields of sound, from concert halls to hi-fi systems to studio gear. You can congratulate yourself for not hearing what isn't there.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazun ➑️
Here's my situation: Next week I'm moving into a friends studio, who mainly records rock bands, so that I can use his equipment and pc in the evening and at nights. He uses Cubase and has the Oxford bundle.
I produce house music with Ableton Live and use only the builtin eq. I've been reading a lot about eqs here. I've tested a few other vst eq demos, but I just can't here a difference. Every setting I dialed in with one eq I could recreate with another eq (including live's builtin eq), so I think my hearing aren't that much developed for the fine eq differences I read about here.
Should I just use live's eq and the Oxford eq or should I get a new one? The Apulsoft apeq for example has a great workflow plus a useful analyser. I'm concerted about eqing the low end of my kickdrum and the sub bass, since the oxford eq and live's eq arent linear phase and I read, that you should use a linear phase eq for this task.
Any insight?
Changing the level of different frequency bands in a neutral/transparent fashion is a relatively easy job in digital audio. ("Character" EQ is another box of worms that I'm not going to get into.)

So it's not necessarily a sign that your hearing is unsophisticated/undereducated.

Also... something worth considering when weighing some of what you'll hear here and elsewhere: many people pontificate about some of these issues from a very personal, subjective, idiosyncratic and not necessarily rigorously arrived at set of personal impressions. They may even convince themselves that they can hear things that it's all but impossible to hear -- and do so with no evidence that a careful observer would consider persuasive. It's pretty common, in fact...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is no "dated." Fairchild compressors from 1965 cost $30,000 today. A hammer from 1965 also pounds nails today.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➑️
There is no "dated." Fairchild compressors from 1965 cost $30,000 today. A hammer from 1965 also pounds nails today.
Exactly. The Oxford is just a great eq. In fact, it is extremely transparent. If you have it, and it is not going to take you a few months to get accustomed to it, use it! Many people test the oxford on just one track and come up with conclusions - run it over 20 tracks and the sum of these is pure air and transparency without sounding cold.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As long as they work in 32 bit float with 4x oversampling they will match apeq. For non colored its just about the specs for how clean it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own and use both OXford and Apulsoft EQ. Both are excellent.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMO, many plug-ins are dated. I think there's a big difference in what's coming out today than what entered the market just 3-5 years ago. It's really annoying because I can't bash new plug-ins in reviews as much as I want to

Not saying the Oxford is dated. I haven't used it in quite some time, but liked it when I did use it (despite the ugly interface).

To the OP: If you can't hear a difference, don't buy.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really, just go buy apeq. It's great and cheap. It's as clean as clean can get, so you can boost any band and love it. Think about colored eqs from now on.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am still trying to figure out this new BOX

Nsfw: So Mean But Maybe True (NSFW)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
I am still trying to figure out this new BOX

Nsfw: So Mean But Maybe True (NSFW)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtrbn ➑️
The reason you don't hear a difference is that there is no difference.

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...fact-myth.html

Linear phase EQs aren't usually good for bass region because of the pre-echo. Don't believe what you read, placebo effect is a part of all fields of sound, from concert halls to hi-fi systems to studio gear. You can congratulate yourself for not hearing what isn't there.
In theory maybe...in practice, there's a world of difference.

If you're trying to tell me using an SSL EQ is exactly the same as digi stock EQ, is the same as the MDW EQ...I'd say you DO need to develop your ears!

Even ignoring the "emulation" plugins, something like the MDW has a much sweeter top end than the EQ3. You can't get this from the EQ3, even if you match the curves. You might be able to emulate the digi eq to a point when you can't get tell the difference with the MDW, although you might need to use something to dirty it up a bit.

There's a lot of stuff in that thread posted that isn't fact, but experience. My personal experience leads me to disagree.

A lot of the difference is tactile of course.
Old 12th February 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Firstly, the Oxford EQ (and Reverb and Transmodder for that matter)
is a great plug. I wouldn't say they're dated anymore than than I would
say the original hardware that they emulate is dated. It is a tonality
that you can add to your bag of tricks. The Sonnox Oxford EQ is a
pretty clean sounding EQ .. there's not a lot of dirt to it.

If you're mixing Rock a lot, then you may want to pick up a complementary
product that has a little more aggressive feel to it .. perhaps
one or more of the Waves Studio Classic family (V, API, SSL) clones
would make a good companion to the Oxford.

In any case, there isn't one uber EQ (well, maybe QClone) that's going
to work on everything.

To linear phase preserving processing .. keeping phase linearity is really
important in stereo material (particularly in mastering). For a kick drum
or snare or something like that, I don't think you're going to need it. It's
a lot of CPU / latency to keep things in phase that you'll never hear ( e.g.,
it's a mono track from 20Hz to maybe 250Kz ... if it pulls a degree or some
fraction there of, you're never going to hear it). You *might* want to use
one on something like an OH stereo pair .. Linear Phase EQ's have their
own problems too ... like pre-ringing that you need to be mindful of. You
can certainly use them .. but you'll wonder why your CPU is pegging.

good luck with your studio gig, sounds like fun,
jeff
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i mean oxfords are getting old but it doesnt matter b/c they sound great.
its not like were talking about old DX eq's..

flux is just as clean as oxford if not cleaner and APeq is great but the oversampling actually rolls off some highend if ppl dont know...4x rolls close to 3.5db off the top... 1x is flat in the highend and often get much better air at 1x.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I still think this is a high quality eq but there are so many options out there now unlike when it was first released, maybe to give this eq some more attention again, I think they should activate the GML option natively.
Lives for gear

I still think the Oxford is better than most of the plugins out there. Sound great, ludicrously flexible, easy to use, nice looking GUI... classic plugin. One of the best.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have been demoing a bunch of surgical eq's and I still keep going back to the oxford. I've been trying out the apulsoft eq, sonalksis and the flux. I like the ddmf EQII for the money but the oxford sounds like hardware to me as does the sonalksis but not as much as the oxford.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Slightly OT but you'll forgive me:

I've just finished mixing a movie score in 5.1 here in Paris - at home I use Logic/PT and I have the Oxford plugs.

In the mixing studio they had an Oxford OXF-R3 console. I couldn't tell the difference between the sound of the console's EQ section and the sound of my Oxford plug-ins.

Which was a pleasant surprise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape ➑️
I still think this is a high quality eq but there are so many options out there now unlike when it was first released, maybe to give this eq some more attention again, I think they should activate the GML option natively.
If they did that I'd buy it in a second. Why does massenburg insist on only supporting platforms that cost like $10,000.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➑️
If they did that I'd buy it in a second. Why does massenburg insist on only supporting platforms that cost like $10,000.
I agree, I'd buy the native GML option in a heart-beat too...my guess would be that they are probably going to do it at some point. I do hope it will be sooner rather than later.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➑️

Just get the massenburg MDW parametric EQ 3.0 - it's native too
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
Just get the massenburg MDW parametric EQ 3.0 - it's native too
i'd imagine a440 is speaking on non-pro tools native...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic ➑️
i'd imagine a440 is speaking on non-pro tools native...
Indeed I am...I use native audio units in Logic
πŸ“ Reply