Quantcast
bus problems in logic (experts' help needed!) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bus problems in logic (experts' help needed!)
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
bus problems in logic (experts' help needed!)

while so many knowledgeable people are about talking busses (or "buses"?) on one of the other threads concerning latency in logic 8 with Buses, has anyone had the following problem (or anything like it) - or got a solution? - have posted this on apple forum but to no avail. is driving me insane.

i am on logic pro 7/ white imac 1.83/ tiger 1.4

the problem is the following:

2 separate esx24s containing various hihats are bussed to bus 2 for eq/ compression
2 more separate esx24s containing various cymbals are bussed to bus 3 for eq/compression

1 esx24 containing my kicks is routed via a send to bus 1 ("no output") as a trigger for the sidechain of the compressors (logic's "compressor" plug-in) on buses 2 and 3

this all works fine for a while, but sometimes i end up losing the bus 1 sidechain input into one, or both, of the compressors on buses 2+3. it just doesn't do anything, or register on the metering. if i change the sidechain input to another bus (eg: 8) it works fine. it also works fine using an audio track as a trigger. this is not ideal, however, as i like to be able to add additional programming to my drum parts as i go along (fills etc) and these will not be replicated on the audio track trigger unless i keep re-bouncing the audio trigger part. annoying. bus 1 will also continue to correctly trigger the sidechain on a compressor loaded onto an instrument or audio track, just not the other 2 buses.

i have tried reloading all the effects/ resetting the bus sends/ deleting the bus 1 channel from the environment and creating a replacement/ all manner of other fixes, but nothing will reset it....apart from the following:

if i insert a compressor with a sidechain input of bus 1 directly on the original esx24 instrument channel feeding the hi-hat (or cymbal) buses, the sidechain input on the buses themselves suddenly starts working again! once this is achieved you can even bypass these additional plug-ins and the sidechain remains ok. baffled

it works fine on most songs, but then suddenly stops working for no reason on others.

it would seem that there is something decidedly shaky going on regarding the triggering of one sidechain inputs of compressors on multiple buses (2+3) from another bus (1).

anyone else had this problem? or got a solution? am about to spnd a load of cash n a new mac system based around logic and wonder whether this bug has been solved in Logic 8 (have read somewhere that there are also bus problems in that too....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…