Quantcast
logic or no logic? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
logic or no logic?
Old 3rd February 2009
  #1
Deleted User
Guest
logic or no logic?

So right now my set up is a firestudio project with logic express 8. I run it on a macbook. To be honest i really dont like logic express all the plug ins suck. So right now im thinking of just ditching the fire studio project and uprageing to a profire with pro tools or a digi. I just realized another option tho could be upgrading to the full logic pro. Is there a big difference between logic express and pro? Or would i just be better off upgrading to protools?
Old 3rd February 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Logic is awesome man! What don't u like about it ? Are u talking about the Audio plug-ins or Soft Instruments ?

Dont really know the diff between Express and Pro. Pro works for me and i cant even think of another DAW.

If ProTools works for u, go Digi.
Or Maybe spend a little time. Maybe a Logic Tutorial DVD will help.

Best of luck with ur decision.
F
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Full blast Logic!

Logic Express is a gross disgusting abomination of a light version of Logic. A friend bought Express, and I went to give him some pointers...almost everything that's waaay cool about Logic had been disabled. It was on the verge of worthless, I can see why you don't like it.

On the flip side, there is A LOT to LOVE about the full blown Logic Pro.
thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Deleted User
Guest
are you talking about alot more as far as virtual instruments go or plug ins
cuse i mainly do recording bands so i dun use midi alot. Thats why im starting to lean towards protools.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Deleted User
Guest
any one else have input on this?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
do you like the workflow of logic? if so give logic pro a shot, if you don't like the workflow stay away, find something else, cause its no different in logic pro.

Don't worry about the stock plugins in either, buy the program with the workflow that suites you, you can always buy from the dozens of 3rd party plugins available for both systems.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
code 10's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamakid1292 ➑️
are you talking about alot more as far as virtual instruments go or plug ins
cuse i mainly do recording bands so i dun use midi alot. Thats why im starting to lean towards protools.
Doesn't make a whole load of sense what you just said, if you're *just* recording bands then what's the big deal, hit record and you're good to trot?

I've never used the lite version so I've no idea of how much it may or may not suck, I recorded a band this weekend on Logic, it's a great app, the bundled plug ins in the Pro version are cracking, either Comps, EQ's etc or the VI's, I think it's a cracking product and works fine, hey, we all have different ways of working and what is good for one man may not be good for another.

It might be worthwhile looking at Logic Pro seeing as you are used to the way things operate before you decide to jump ship to an unknown? just a thought.

I use UAD plugs with Logic, a great combo.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Logic Pro 8 is a pretty killer DAW. The workflow is well laid out in my opinion. I am not a huge fan of all the plugs, but they are usable and there are a lot of presets. I have a lot of third party plug ins that work great. Some favorites for plugs.

PSP Vintage Warmer-Just a cool plug.
T-Racks Mastering suite ( I don't like the eq's, but the comp/limiters are thick!)
Waves Ren and SSL Plugs. These things are awesome!
Altiverb- Great reverb, very expensive and a CPU hog.
UA card. Just get one!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It's not bad to have both ( I use 3 DAWs) if you're doing professional work. I've been working hard at using Logic Studio (coming from Digital Performer) and although there are many things I miss from DP, I've gotten very comfortable with it and have recorded some great stuff with it this past few months. I really love the plugins and VIs and have watched (and continue to watch) various tutorials at grooveboxmusic.com to help me along. They also have PT videos so it might be worthwhile to rent the whole lot from their website for a month (only $29) and check out a ton of tutorials on both apps. I'm checking out the PT 8 vids now to see if I want to spend the $ and upgrade.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy ➑️
It's not bad to have both ( I use 3 DAWs) if you're doing professional work. I've been working hard at using Logic Studio (coming from Digital Performer) and although there are many things I miss from DP, I've gotten very comfortable with it and have recorded some great stuff with it this past few months. I really love the plugins and VIs and have watched (and continue to watch) various tutorials at grooveboxmusic.com to help me along. They also have PT videos so it might be worthwhile to rent the whole lot from their website for a month (only $29) and check out a ton of tutorials on both apps. I'm checking out the PT 8 vids now to see if I want to spend the $ and upgrade.
I used Logic for the last year or so but have gone to PT8 and am glad I did.....JMHO.

TH
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Deleted User
Guest
Protools limitations:

1. No ADC
2. Track limits unless you want to chuck out another $400 for 16 more tracks to go from 48 to 64
3. I/O is limited to 18 for DIGI or M-Audio boxes. AD/DA is OK on the boxes.

Really comes down to the DAW you like.

I have Protools LE 8.0
Logic Pro 8.02
Cubase 4.5.2

I think for general tracking and audio editing, Protools is great. If you need a LOT of midi functionality then Cubase or Logic is the choice. If your NOT digging Logic Express, chances are you aint gonna like Logic Pro either, same app just more bells and whistles, just more SUCK for you in that case
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael ➑️
Full blast Logic!

Logic Express is a gross disgusting abomination of a light version of Logic. A friend bought Express, and I went to give him some pointers...almost everything that's waaay cool about Logic had been disabled. It was on the verge of worthless, I can see why you don't like it.

On the flip side, there is A LOT to LOVE about the full blown Logic Pro.
thumbsup
In Logic 8 I thought those limitations had been dropped. Now it's basically a non surround version with less loops and samples thrown in.

I use Logic and I think it's the best for composition, BUT I have also been using Cubase for a project and quite like it as well. Just different but not bad.
I am also getting PT (just the m-powered version) for ANOTHER project and think I will like that BUT don't think the instrument plugs will match logics (in PT 7 they weren't very good at all) but the Massey plug ins are something I am very happy I will be able to use.

I would say stick with Logic (as long as you are using Logic 8) and buy a couple of nice plug ins. You don't need 57 plug ins, just buy a few that you like.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
According to this link, the difference between Logic Pro and Logic Express is:


Quote:
Logic Express 8 is actually the same as Logic Pro 8 - without the following features:
- Support for high-end control surfaces (Euphonix, SmartAV)
- DAE/TDM support
- DAP (distributed audio processing with Logic Node)
- Surround
- EVP88
- EVB3
- EVD6
- Sculpture
- Space Designer
- Delay Designer
- Linear Phase EQ
- Match EQ
- Multipressor (there is only the 'Preset Multipressor' as in LE7)
- AdLimiter
- Multimeter
According to this link:

Quote:
As far as I know, here are the only features that Logic Express does NOT have

- Reduced size library (no Jam Packs with Express)
- Surround support
- Hardware and System protocols NOT supported:
β€’ TDM support
β€’ Distributed Audio Processing
β€’ Support for high-end professional control surfaces (Euphonix and SmartAV consoles)
- Instrument Plug-Ins:
β€’ Sculpture
β€’ Vintage Series: EVP88, EVB3, EVD6
- Effect Plug-Ins:
β€’ Space Designer
β€’ Delay Designer
β€’ Mastering Series: Linear Phase EQ, Match EQ, Multipressor, AdLimiter, Multimeter
Regarding Pro Tools.... I had PT installed on my Mac for many years (I was using TDM hardware with Logic). I used it only a few of hours, and wasn't really impressed - but things have changed since then, and PT looks much nicer (and more Logic like) now. PT also has a couple of important audio editing tools that Logic 8 doesn't (Elastic time, Beat Detective). It will be interesting to see how PT8 compares with the next major version of Logic, which most likely (I'm guessing here) will be released this year.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for that
Express is basically the same minus certain pro features and a certain amount of plug ins then.
I hated the fact that Express v7 only had 12 busses I believe (and 12 outputs) plus so many other limitations.
Now, it's much closer and tbh, you can add plug ins pretty cheaply these days and choose your own that suit what you need. I do like delay designer and space designer (although I'd rather have altiverb)
Of course, surround is quite important for many, but in straight music production, less so.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I love Logic. I tried PT 8 recently for an hour or so but was glad when I started Logic again
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DanRock101's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
stike
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I love Logic. I tried PT 8 recently for an hour or so but was glad when I started Logic again
Yeah, I tried speaking Chinese for an hour once. As soon as I started speaking English again I was so relieved!!!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #18
JDN
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➑️
Yeah, I tried speaking Chinese for an hour once. As soon as I started speaking English again I was so relieved!!!
I'm confused Rufuss, was the comment sarcastic or serious. I know you've been quite into logic on here. is your point it's naive to think you could move to PT and be comfortable in an hour or are you saying pro tools is like learning chinese...lol
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN ➑️
it's naive to think you could move to PT and be comfortable in an hour
bingo!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #20
JDN
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➑️
bingo!
are you finally coming over to our side...
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➑️
Yeah, I tried speaking Chinese for an hour once. As soon as I started speaking English again I was so relieved!!!
I understand you're sarcastic, but your comparison is completely invalid. It would only make sense if Logic and PT were two completely different programs, which they are clearly not, especially since the last PT update. Having said that, I have worked for years with PT before most of the studio switched to Logic. My only implication was that I personally find Logic a far more convenient and overall better DAW.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
the next major version of Logic, which most likely (I'm guessing here) will be released this year.
Is there any other reason than hope (which I share) to assume that?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #23
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I understand you're sarcastic, but your comparison is completely invalid. It would only make sense if Logic and PT were two completely different programs, which they are clearly not, especially since the last PT update. Having said that, I have worked for years with PT before most of the studio switched to Logic. My only implication was that I personally find Logic a far more convenient and overall better DAW.
Sorry but even with PT8's incorporation of many Logic features they are different apps with COMPLETELY different workflows, so if one to used to and likes the workflow of one of them, it is easy for me to see how they would be put off by the other.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #24
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by author ➑️
Is there any other reason than hope (which I share) to assume that?
No, because the only people who know the answer to that cannot say.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Nut
 
chrishansson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
There are few things that I consider myself to be an 'expert' at.. But as far as DAW's I have definitely had my share and have come to a pretty solid conclusion..

I started with Sony's Programs around Acid 4, then went to Sonar 4, then worked with Pro Tools, then Audacity, then Cubase and stuck with that for quite a while. Cubase was one hell of a program for me; I put it through some heavy mixes. Eventually the few quirks it had started to really bug the poo out of me and I went back and forth between that and Acid 7.

Then..

I bought a Mac. After using Logic for the first couple times, and then continually going further and further into the program, I've realized that it is the perfect simulation of working with hardware... Plus the capabilities of the digital world.

Logic is stable as pooall.. The Opto-Compressor that comes with it sounds like a very good knock-off the LA-2A.. Turning audio tracks into MIDI then beatmapping the poo out of pooy drummers and get their kicks on time.. Keyboard shortcuts up the wazoo.. There are so many reason why I have called in sick to work too many times to sit at home and play with mixes.

Last edited by chrishansson; 17th February 2009 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: poo
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #26
16942
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishansson ➑️
There are few things that I consider myself to be an 'expert' at.. But as far as DAW's I have definitely had my share and have come to a final conclusion..

I started with Sony's Programs around Acid 4, then went to Sonar 4, then worked with Pro Tools, then Audacity, then Cubase and stuck with that for quite a while. Cubase was one hell of a program for me; I put it through some heavy mixes. Eventually the few quirks it had started to really bug the poo out of me and I went back and forth between that and Acid 7.

Then..

I bought a Mac. After using Logic for the first couple times, and then continually going further and further into the program, I've realized that it is the perfect simulation of working with hardware... Plus the capabilities of the digital world.

Logic is stable as pooall.. The Opto-Compressor that comes with it sounds like a very good knock-off the LA-2A.. Turning audio tracks into MIDI then beatmapping the poo out of ****ty drummers and get their kicks on time.. Keyboard shortcuts up the wazoo.. There are so many reason why I have called in sick to work too many times to sit at home and play with mixes.
Wow, I am a Logic book author and Certified Trainer Level 2 and even I do not like it as much as you do
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Nut
 
chrishansson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashermusic ➑️
Wow, I am a Logic book author and Certified Trainer Level 2 and even I do not like it as much as you do

Hahaha, that's awesome. I might even have your book, in fact!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishansson ➑️
There are few things that I consider myself to be an 'expert' at.. But as far as DAW's I have definitely had my share and have come to a pretty solid conclusion..

.
My question would be this:

If you have jumped around between so many platforms, how can you definitely say one way or another, which is "better" or which is "worse"?

I say this being a Logic guy.

My point is (and this is my big issue with the "which is better" argument) if you are very comfortable on one platform, and then make a switch to another, that
platform is gonna suck for you, for a while, no matter what it is.

There are things about Logic I still don't get. When I would reach my frustration limit, I would fire up the ProTools and work on that a while. When I would get pissed about something with PT, I would run to my PC and start messing around
with SONAR. And then back again to Logic.

It all became clear to me at one point that if I would have taken the time to iron out my issues with Logic in the first place, I would have saved time jumping back and forth between DAW's.

I understand sometime, you can hit a brick wall with a DAW. More often than not though, I think we are lured in by the marketing or the hype when a new version of something comes out and think the grass is greener.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
..hello

..i am Logic Pro user and for me would be much more interesting to know answer to gossips like

- Logic is louder

-Pro Tools has better stereo

My personal opinion is that Logic sounds best of Software which i used - Cubase SX, Fruity Loops..
Another thing is that Cubase has very nice Time stretch function and great audio workflow(u can use all your plugins to any part of your audio part,listen preview..) which you can forget) in Logic, BUT Logic has really powerful sidechain routing esp. for dance music.

i must say that i quickly check new Cubase 4 and is wonderful. Hopefully there will be some update for Logic in audio section.. and it will be best program.

For some dance music lovers - Steve Angello, Eric Prydz, Freemasons, Paul van Dyk..-all Logic user..
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
and i forget..

..one big issue about logic and multi core Macs.. very often happens to me that logic is using only 2 or 2.5 part of my 2x2 core Mac pro..I found the thread on apple website when somebody recommended how to rearrange plugins in mix section to get better performance,which for me sucks.. hopefully this is fixed in Leopard OSX i am still on Tiger.
i am using full-updated Pro version of Logic.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615315
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 32310
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 39167
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181749
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump