Quantcast
logic or no logic? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
logic or no logic?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
some "real world" advantages that logic have (for you ,"tamakid1292") over protools8

-the ability to customize key commands the way you want it
-offline bounce & freeze function (considering you have a macbook)
-better plug in efficiency
-more useful plug ins "in the box"
-the ability to run it with your current audio interface (or any audio interface)
-great midi implementation (particularly the overlooked environment , where you can set multiple arpeggiators,chord memorizers and more)
-great audio engine
-(speaking for 8.02) STABLE

the route from LE8 to PT8 is not an upgrade at all, is just like using a DIFFERENT TOOL. the route from LE8 to LP8 is indeed an upgrade with all that stuff you get (more plug ins, jampacks,loops and a fantastic audio editor , Soundtrack, that you can incorporate inside Logic.)

if you find yourself dealing more with multitrack audio recordings maybe the best idea is to have both. (go with profire in this case)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just to clarify...

I've used both Pro Tools and Logic day in and day out for about 4 years now. If I had to choose only one I'd stick with Logic. But they both offer tons of things the other doesn't. To me the DAW trifecta is 1. Logic 2. Pro Tools 3. Melodyne.

If you are comfortable with Logic and only tried Pro Tools for an hour... obviously you'll continue to be more comfy in Logic.

I'm really glad I have both!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use logic and no longer use pt.

If your intention is to record bands then I would say pro tools is a no brainer.

And you should be able to be proficient with pt in a few weeks.

Logic is great as a composition/midi too along with light audio tracking tasks.

many will defends logics multitrack audio capabilities, but I think it is actually quite pathetic for tracking bands or multitrack instruments.

For my purposes it is the best choice.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So weird that you would say Logic is pathetic for recording bands. I hear this a lot though. What the hell are you talking about? Seriously? haha.

Set the inputs, press record. There is absolutely nothing I can't do to a band's recording in Logic. As I said, I use both Logic and PT every day. For me I prefer to track bands in Logic because I like the folders, comping is great in Logic, batch fades are way more flexible, dealing with tempos and click tracks is a dream! Seriously, what is the deficiency in Logic for tracking?

Editing yes... PT wins for sure. For me I track and comp in Logic. Fly the tracks into PT or Melodyne for editing. Then back into Logic for mixing and adding drum samples and midi arrangements.

I'm not bashing your opinion, just curious about the specifics.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...well at least one person will defend it i guess.

I am referring to multitrack recording...drum groups or multi mic instruments. Not happening. the comp tools is still busted as well. an integrated beat detective type function is sorely missing as well. I have seen the tab to transient alternatives, not pretty.

I don't give money to digi as a company, but pro tools is still king for audio editing and grouped tracking. of course you will need the music production toolkit to get most of the good stuff on the mpowered or le versions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➡️

I am referring to multitrack recording...drum groups or multi mic instruments. Not happening. the comp tools is still busted as well. an integrated beat detective type function is sorely missing as well. I have seen the tab to transient alternatives, not pretty.
Hi,

I agree that Logic needs something similar to Beat Detective/Elastic time and some improvements re. the way Takes work, but - out of sheer curiosity - what exactly is 'not happening' when you're multitrack recording?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➡️
...well at least one person will defend it i guess.

I don't give money to digi as a company, but pro tools is still king for audio editing and grouped tracking. of course you will need the music production toolkit to get most of the good stuff on the mpowered or le versions.
Haha, just cus you don't know how to do it doesn't mean it's "not happening."

Grouping tracks for mixing and/or editing works pretty much just like PT. For several multitrack drum takes, each take is put into a folder. Comping with folders is just as easy as comping with single tracks. I actually greatly prefer this method to PT's playlists.

I have no use for the quick swipe feature.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahem... sorry to get in and may be out of thread, but, as I just ordered Logic Express 8, and scared by reading upon there are so much functions not implemented, I'm asking myself : "Will my BCF-2000 Behringer be ok to use as a control surface with this software ???"
Sorry to be as a newb, but I come from Garageband and Cubase...
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blues ➡️
Ahem... sorry to get in and may be out of thread, but, as I just ordered Logic Express 8, and scared by reading upon there are so much functions not implemented, I'm asking myself : "Will my BCF-2000 Behringer be ok to use as a control surface with this software ???"
Sorry to be as a newb, but I come from Garageband and Cubase...
The BCF2000 uses the mackie HUI/Baby HUI protocol,so yes it will work.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanx a lot Sky ! Your answer make me happy ! I can't wait to see the postman give it to me...
📝 Reply