Quantcast
Suggestions for an ultra quiet DAW rackmount case?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestions for an ultra quiet DAW rackmount case??
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Suggestions for an ultra quiet DAW rackmount case??

I'm having a DAW built. I record with my computer in my bedroom and therefore am looking for an ultraquiet quality rackmount case. Durability is also a concern since I'll be going on the road with it and using it for live performance. I've been looking at the Arktech rack case (silvery aluminum, used by Vision) and would love to hear feedback about that if anyone has experience with it.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What you put in it has much more to do with it than the case you put it in.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My advice is to not limit yourself to rackmount cases. You'll get a lot more options for keeping your computer nice and clean (cable layout) with a full tower or even some of the better mid towers.

The more space you have in your case, the more you can keep the airflow wide open, the cooler your system runs, the lower speed you need to run the fans, the quieter the computer. Most of those rackmount computer cases are pretty cramped from what I've seen.

The Hush case Newegg.com - NZXT HUSH Black SECC Steel/ Aluminum/ Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases is one that is made specifically to deaden noise. something like this might serve you well. Also, if you have a pretty spacious closet (mine is in a 2Dx5Lx8H) closet, putting the computer in it can help you minimize computer noise to nothing or next-to-nothing depending on how far away it is.

You can take a midtower on the road without toooo much trouble, though I understand a rack case works out better for this purpose. I personally wouldn't though. I'd much rather build in a case like the HUSH, and rig up some strap that wraps around it to let me carry it. Even a couple Walmart fat guy belts would work, strap 'em around, and there's your leather carry strap.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out:

silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

They have reviews of all sorts of PC hardware in terms of audio noise, etc. Cases, fans, hard drives, you name it.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
After spending years and loads of cash trying to control both the noise and the heat from my computers, I've found it cheaper and a better long term solution to relocate the computer to an adjacent room. I've had success quieting down machines using specialty fans, drive cases and power supplies but I've also experienced premature component failures (drives dying after 6 months) and system freezes (not enough heat dissipation on the CPU) that required that I take steps to undo all the quiet stuff for the benefit of heat dissipation.

Computers generate heat and noise, and even the guietest rated fans, drives and power supplies get noisy when you start using tons of sofsynths, plugins, and disk streaming. This also gets worse as they get older.

All you need is a discreet hole in the wall, appropriate cable for your monitor(s) (the higher the resolution the better cable you need) and a USB hub for all other accs (mouse, keyboard, DVD drive). Ideally you could have a Firewire interface, or a PCI(e) card where all the I/O is in an external box extended by cable, and you're all set.

I know this isn't convenient for everyone, and fortunately newer CPU's run cooler so it's not quite as bad as it used to be. The other alternative is to get or build an isolation box, which isn't necessarily perfect for heat dissipation, but IMO it's a much better investment than all the quiet components you can spend money on. Most of the quality components these days are in fact fairly quiet out of the box, but with time I guarantee they'll get noisy on you.

If you want to be aware of the noise your box is generating, just listen to an active microphone in the room using headphones. You'll be surprised at how much noise a nearby "quiet" PC makes.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you won't get beter than this :D

PaQ - PC quiet cases - Information

peter is also a frequent contributor to the cubase and SOS forums.

marcus
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
T9c
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just bought a Norco RPC-810D 4U Rack mount case today and put it all together. The case is real solid steel and heavy. There are 2x 120mm fans already installed in it, but they are loud, so some quieter replacements are in order. It doesn't come with a P/S, but quiet ones are easy to come by and cheap.

I like the rack mount for the convenience of having all my rack gear in the same location.
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
As others have said, avoid rackmount cases - they'll really limit the components you can build up your system with.

If you'll be taking this rig on the road, consider a Mini-ITX form factor case.

A case like the Bitfenix Prodigy while small is extremely well thought out, allowing for its HDD storage bays to be removed to make room for quiet water cooling, and up to a 230mm fan on the front.

Overclock3D :: Review :: BitFenix Prodigy Review :: BitFenix Prodigy Review
BitFenix Prodigy Review - YouTube

That Youtube review is excellent, be sure to watch atleast as far as the guy hits the flexible handles - they look near indestructible!
Old 13th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Silent PC case

Check out:

HeatSync 7000 Order Form

Basic case is about $1300.00, add some SSD drives and your good to go. Also made in the USA!
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Get AcoustiPack Ultimate to dampen the sound of your computer case, and stick to fan heatsinks if you don't plan to overclock.
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A 4U rack shouldn't limit what you can insert. I am getting a Rack and will advise my experience. Of course over time fans need to be replaced, thermal glue reapplied to keep sound down. However, if you record in the same room you track forget it unless you want to buy isolator boxes. I wouldn't buy those because of all the cables I have to run out the box and the heat factor especially.

With a Skylake processor you can run a 4k monitor...no need for bulky graphics cards restricting airflow.
πŸ“ Reply