Quantcast
audio data flow - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
audio data flow
Old 2nd February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Lightbulb audio data flow

We're setting up a centralized server system where our digital recordings would go directly to the server drives. For this we need a fast gigabit network and possibly an optical connection from the digital audio workstation computer to the data storage server.

Right now i'm tapping in the dark, because i lack the knowledge on how to calculate the data bandwidth required for recording.

We're recording 192kHz 24bit .. how much data flow is that per second?
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha ➡️
We're setting up a centralized server system where our digital recordings would go directly to the server drives. For this we need a fast gigabit network and possibly an optical connection from the digital audio workstation computer to the data storage server.

Right now i'm tapping in the dark, because i lack the knowledge on how to calculate the data bandwidth required for recording.

We're recording 192kHz 24bit .. how much data flow is that per second?
24bit = 3 bytes.
192kHz = 192000 samples, 3 bytes each, per second per mono channel.
So each mono channel will roughly use .6 MBytes per second.

Typical ethernet configurations perform well up to a load of 38% so over a 1Gbitps network you can communicate

(.38 * 1000000000 / 8) Bytes per second = 47.5 MBps
47.5 MBps / .6 (MBps/mono track) = 79 mono tracks

this is the sum of tracks recorded and played back simultaneously. Plan with some overhead so the actual number of tracks might be a bit smaller. For takes that are not too long, you might be able to increase the number of tracks by smart caching configuration on your DAW.

Or, reversely said, plan for
192000 * 24 / .38 = 12126315 (ca. 13Mbitps)
per mono track.

There are just rules of thumb, given you have no other traffic on your network what so ever.

Good luck! Thomas
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
for a studio? Difficult - there are a couple fo systems out there - but they're all in the area of $100k to get going. I certainly wouldn't do it over a standard gigabit network.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…