Quantcast
elastic audio: tick vs. sample pros and cons - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
elastic audio: tick vs. sample pros and cons
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
elastic audio: tick vs. sample pros and cons

I can't tell from the PT Reference Guide what pros and cons are of tick-based audio vs. sample-based.

In Kenny's tutorials I can't find any mention of this. I don't hear other users talking about it too much either.

I'm mainly quantizing drums that I've recorded, with many different tempo changes. I've had a lot of trouble getting Elastic Audio to work as well as Beat Detective-- that is, until I started switching my multi-track drums to tick-based. Now it seems to work as intended but I'm concerned that most people seem to leave that step out. Is there a reason why tick-based drum tracks might not sound as good as sample-based? Is it only beneficial if you tempo changes?
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
When we're talking about multitrack drums I don't like them in ticks mode. It doesn't seem to work the same.

when matching loops to the session tempo, I prefer in ticks.

If your stuff is already in time and you want to change the tempo it has to be in ticks.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in that post--

The drummer recorded to a click track that had varying tempos. I've comped his drums but I still need to quantize them a bit. Trying to quantize in sample-based mode usually involves misfires, analysis markers editing and general weirdness-- seems to work better in tick-based mode for some reason. I'm assuming it's because tick-based tracks 'jive' with tempo maps better?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I found the opposite to be true.

I did 1 session in ticks mode, found it to be a pain, did the next 9 in samples with predictable results.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, that's what seems to work best for most people. I'm curious-- did any of these sessions involve tempo changes or were they mostly one tempo throughout the song?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
plenty of tempo and meter changes. Those were where I had the problems, because of the warping forced at those points.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's cool. I wish I had more time to experiment, I'm actually in the middle of a project.

One thing I did notice is that, after re-watching Kenny's video on Multitrack Drumming, at around the 3 minute mark, he drops it into ticks mode before applying any algorithms.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…