Quantcast
UAD Fairchild 670 Plug-In - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Fairchild 670 Plug-In
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
UAD Fairchild 670 Plug-In

A few years ago, everyone was raving about this plug, now I almost never hear anyone talking about it. (The Neve UAD plugs seem to get all the attention these days.)

So, is this plug-in any good? How is it on male vocals and acoustic guitar? (The reason that I am asking is that UAD is having a sale on it this month.)
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's like a fresh glazed donut. Great in moderation
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you don't hear as much now because we all got it back when it came out.heh

It's great. I go for it a lot on drums. It pulls things together and up front and has a nice grit to it (it's one of the more colorfuls). On male vocals it might be good as I like the effect the LA2A has while mushing those, but I'm not sure about an acoustic. Might need something more open. Watch out on the low end too. I've noticed it knocking out a bit of lower bass, but it still rocks. Knowing UA, I'd imagine it's likely no different than the hardware in that regard.

Take Care
GS Community Manager

We all know it's way better than the Bomb Factory/Digidesign version, but anyone compared it to the 670 model in T-Racks 3 yet? What about the Waves JJP one?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i love it but i can overstand the lukewarm feelings some have for it. sometimes simplicity is the better way to go and fairchild, while not rocket science, is far from simple and needs a little more attention control-wise

as for comparisons, there's been no real consensus, even among uad users (barring the die-hard 'nothing is better than uad except hardware' crowd). some have said that the uad one has more depth but even so, some of those still prefered jjp, while others prefer tracks3. ear of the beholder, as well as, ergonomics and ease of use, all subjective as we all know.

they all have problematic issues, uad is a glorified dongle, though i still love it, while waves has a dongle but worst it falls under waves policies and finally tracks3, while the more appealing protection for dongle haters (although c/r protection can be wrought with issues too) it's the clunkiness, cpu hit, and latency (less so in low latency mode) all together combined with it's rep from previous versions. i think if ik gave an option to separate the modules, improving cpu and ease of use, it would better it's chances in the oversaturated market
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The UAD Fairchild is simpler than it looks to operate. People see more than 3 knobs and they

You have 2 channels for input gain, 2 channels for threshold. The only thing to remember is the Time Constant. You have to actually know the att/rel times for eack setting, or you can use your ears, however you need to know that 5 and 6 are prog dep.

If you turn DC bias and look at the meters and can't tell what is going on, I have nothing to say.

Link/Unlink are controls for dual mono, and controling lat from vert, but those are additional functions.

IMO it's best to pull up a Fairchild when you know exactly what your looking for in advance.

--I don't know anything about the other Fairchild emulations. I'm sure they are different.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use it a lot, probably someplace on almost every mix, anywhere except the 2-buss.

Shamefully, I don't worry about the knobs much . . . I just dial up the ocean's way preset and mess with the bias til it sounds good.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmooveG ➡️
It's like a fresh glazed donut. Great in moderation
Yes...and in excess!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love it on male vox.

I love it on parallel drum crush.

I used it for my last project on the guitar bus and it sounded pretty good.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by days ➡️
A few years ago, everyone was raving about this plug, now I almost never hear anyone talking about it. (The Neve UAD plugs seem to get all the attention these days.)

So, is this plug-in any good? How is it on male vocals and acoustic guitar? (The reason that I am asking is that UAD is having a sale on it this month.)
Fairchild comparison UAD T-Racks Ananod Waves

Anamod660 / Fairchild 670 test
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wink

I am addicted to it.

Great coloring plug, that does not use as much cpu as the Neve.

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I already use the UAD LA-2A plug-in, and like the way it can add color to a track. (Although I don't like its "graininess"). Of course, the Fairchild is supposed to add its own pleasing coloration, as well. So, I suppose it's just a matter of taste as to which one you might prefer in a particular situation.

Are there any other UAD compressor plug-ins that add a nice coloration that I should also consider?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It's got a permanent home in my vocal channel strip (recording me only). I'll cap it at -6db, and use a limiter after it, or automation of a trim plugin before it, or just recut the track with better mic technique if the track needs more than that -6db. In that range it's great: big and fat. But beyond that it makes me sound dull and small.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the mids

I sometimes stick it on a vocal with just a bit of gain reduction... cause I like what it does to the mids... kinda makes them more present... it's subtle ...but you can hear it when I take it out of the chain. Never touched the bias control.... I'll have to check that out.. can anyone elaborate on the bias control ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The DC Bias changes the amount of compression that happens but this is the official description from the UAD manual. Hope it helps, you should be able to hear what it's doing when you turn it.

DC Bias
DC Bias controls the ratio of compression as well as the knee width. As the knob is turned clockwise, the ratio gets lower and the knee gets broader. The threshold also gets lower as the knob is turned clockwise. The ‘factory cal’ tick mark should be aligned with the screw slot “dot” for factory specification. It would probably be more technically accurate to say that this control simply changes the knee width, since no matter where it’s set the ratio always approaches true limiting eventually. However, the knee becomes so broad that it becomes more practical to speak of the ratio changing, because for reasonable (<25 dB) amounts of compression, this is the case.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use it very often on the 2 buss, but am always making sure it doesn't sap any bass. I think I'll start using it more in the mix, now that you mentioned it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
great tip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➡️
The DC Bias changes the amount of compression that happens but this is the official description from the UAD manual. Hope it helps, you should be able to hear what it's doing when you turn it.

DC Bias
DC Bias controls the ratio of compression as well as the knee width. As the knob is turned clockwise, the ratio gets lower and the knee gets broader. The threshold also gets lower as the knob is turned clockwise. The ‘factory cal’ tick mark should be aligned with the screw slot “dot” for factory specification. It would probably be more technically accurate to say that this control simply changes the knee width, since no matter where it’s set the ratio always approaches true limiting eventually. However, the knee becomes so broad that it becomes more practical to speak of the ratio changing, because for reasonable (<25 dB) amounts of compression, this is the case.
thanks ! Mann...I should have read the manual better !! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by days ➡️
Are there any other UAD compressor plug-ins that add a nice coloration that I should also consider?
1176 smears the sound, Neve Channel strip adds nice coloring with some presets and with some tweaking you can get a nice sustain, La3a is my go to on bass, smothens the sound in nice way. I agree that the La2a grains the sound. Fairchild removes some bass if put on a mix otherwise it creates commercial radio sound with a bit of a lo-fi character.

I guess the precision plugs are suppose to be more transparent.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Precision Bus Compressor is quite transparant. I wouldn't use it on anything else than the two bus. Perhaps on a drum bus.

My favorites are the LA2A, 1176 and 88RS compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan ➡️
I agree that the La2a grains the sound.
Oh, good, I'm glad you hear it, too. For a while, I couldn't understand why I heard graininess but no one else seemed to hear it. Now I know I'm not alone.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
Oh, good, I'm glad you hear it, too. For a while, I couldn't understand why I heard graininess but no one else seemed to hear it. Now I know I'm not alone.
heh Yeah, if I would describe it with a picture it would look something like this, under the microscope.

Or perhaps like having a surface of fluffy brushed steel.

It adds some kind of 'swischy' finish to the sound.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
UAD fairchild sits on my parallel drum buss o default... it's great for that. When used as a drumbuss compressor it takes away the sub and it's a bit grainy (not in a bad way though), but when on the parallel buss I can finetune the amount of color, grain and forwardness it gives.

Oh and guitars... this one is great for them. No other plug copressor (i know) does what it does.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here is a chain for you:

2 LA-2A in succession:

1st LA 2A -full input and full GR on the 1st.
2nd LA 2A -Use the input to bring the compressed signal back up. Small amount of GR to taste

Add a 1176 after the 2 LA 2A, all buttons on, play with input and output to taste.

Listen to the chorusing and shimmering Great on pianos and synth.
Old 27th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➡️

DC Bias
Hi - I'm barely beyond noobism, and am trying to get my head around my UAD-1 Fairchild 670 controls. If anyone is still around 2 years later ...

1) " As the knob is turned clockwise, the ratio gets lower ..." - lower meaning, if I'm starting at 3:1, going towards 2:1 instead of 6:1? Or does "lower" mean the other way around?

2) "The ‘factory cal’ tick mark should be aligned with the screw slot “dot” for factory specification..." - Is it specified somewhere what ratio the factory spec is? Since you can turn it either way from the "factory cal" mark, I guess it's something besides 1:1?

3) "It would probably be more technically accurate to say that this control simply changes the knee width, since no matter where it’s set the ratio always approaches true limiting eventually..." Ignorant poster (me!) says, huh? What does "eventually" mean in this context? And how are knee width and ratio related in any context? (Is there maybe a picture around that might show that?).

In general, for those that know how to use this well, what is your general workflow, that might correspond to "set a ratio, set a threshold, fiddle with attack and release, then do makeup gain" controls in a "normal" compressor.

Thanks!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You will drive yourself crazy getting too technical with the FC heh That little DC knob is very important, but I like to save it till last.

I usually get the input/threshold balance I want first; at what point do I want the compression?

Then I choose a speed (Time Constant). They are predetermined, fast, very fast, slow, very slow or the so called program dependent, which is weird, but works out.

Then I slowly move in the DC to get the FC working, watching the needle to see how much compression is happening. Re-adjust threshold, input and dial it all in.

Rotating the DC fully counterclockwise, backing off the output, and adjusting the threshold/TC is a nice way to dial in the timing. I listen for punch, then I back off DC and readjust output.

More often than not, I drive the compression hard with the DC rather than pushing input into a low threshold, but it's also worth trying full input into a medium threshold with no DC. It's nice that there are so many ways to drive this thing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The fairchild is my favourite uad plug (although I haven't tried the fatso yet)
I read a post 2 years ago by somebody who had really got to know it. On the mix buss you really need to get it so the needles are hardly moving. It is worth the effort. Lat/vert mode is also excellent.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think it accenuates a nice shimmer, jangle in strummed acoustic gtrs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use the Fairchild in 2 main ways.

1) Guitar sub group - where I pan the Rhy Gtrs left and right - I uncouple the Side chain and hit them pretty hard - hold really nicely

2) When mastering I use the FC in Lat Vert mode to compress the Sum and Difference seperately - in this application I only hold a few db - just gentle.

Great Plugin IMHO.
Old 28th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➡️
I use the Fairchild in 2 main ways.

1) Guitar sub group - where I pan the Rhy Gtrs left and right - I uncouple the Side chain and hit them pretty hard - hold really nicely

2) When mastering I use the FC in Lat Vert mode to compress the Sum and Difference seperately - in this application I only hold a few db - just gentle.

Great Plugin IMHO.
Exactly! Lat/Vert allows you to really tune things in - I think a lot of people overdo this plug and don't realise how great it is when used gently on the buss.
Old 28th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always bus any orchestral sounds together and stick the UA fairchild on it , i always use the fairchild on bass to
📝 Reply