Quantcast
Best Vista-Compatible DAW for tracking. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Vista-Compatible DAW for tracking.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Best Vista-Compatible DAW for tracking.

So on my main pc I, which runs XP, I use nuendo to track and mix. I came across a dell studio notebook which unfortunately has vista. My nuendo is not even opening on vista. I'm just looking for a simple DAW good for tracking, this way I can track drums at my drummers house using my mobile rig, and export them to open then with Nuendo for mixing. I want to avoid the whole syncrosoft protection thing because that's what seems to be getting held up.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
just download reaper... i have ditched all other programs since i have gotten familiar with it.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
+1

Get Reaper. I'm a Cubendo user myself, but I've used Reaper on occasions where I did not bring my Steiny key and needed to track something. It is stable, and has a small footprint which makes it great for laptops.
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Sweet! Thanks doods!
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdctom92 โžก๏ธ
So on my main pc I, which runs XP, I use nuendo to track and mix. I came across a dell studio notebook which unfortunately has vista. My nuendo is not even opening on vista. I'm just looking for a simple DAW good for tracking, this way I can track drums at my drummers house using my mobile rig, and export them to open then with Nuendo for mixing. I want to avoid the whole syncrosoft protection thing because that's what seems to be getting held up.

according to steinberg site- nuendo 4 works with vista in 32bit mode.
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
In addition to Reaper and Cubase, you probably ought to take a look at Sonar, as well. It's got a robust feature set and publisher Cakewalk has a long and close relationship with Microsoft. CW always goes out of their way to support the lastest MS OS. They were the first with not just a 64 bit internal audio engine but with a 64 bit application to run in XP 64 back in 2004. They also support Vista 64, of course. A true 64 bit app running in a 64 bit OS has access to potentially huge amounts of RAM.

A 64 bit application in a 64 bit OS is a separate issue, of course, from Sonar's 64 bit internal audio engine, which can run in 32 bit Windows on a 32 bit computer, like most of us still have. While Cubase only has a 32 bit floating point audio engine, both Sonar and Reaper have 64 bit floating point audio engines.

And, with Sonar, you can set the 64 bit engine to only kick in when rendering and exporting, saving CPU load for when you really need it in the non-realtime export/rendering function.
๐Ÿ“ Reply