Quantcast
.wav to .cda - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
.wav to .cda
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
.wav to .cda

Just wondering what program you guys use to convert your mixdown wave files to .cda files to burn to cd?
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aren't .cda files a proprietary Sony CD Architect?

Regards,
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Your burning software will burn the waves to the cd. .cda is not a sound file. it's' more of just a marker.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sometimes when I burn .wav files to a cd, it won't play on certain cd players. That's why i was using Nero, which converts the wave files to .cda files. .cda files, I believe can play on any cd player. I just moved to a new computer and was looking for new software to burn but didn't want to use Nero because it's kind of a bloated software program.

Can anybody recommend a good burning software program that isn't so bloated.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

The best burning software I've seen is ImageBurn
The Official ImgBurn Website

its FREEE! heh
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
there is actually no conversion to cda files. cda files are not audio files. They are more like index markers for the audio tracks.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by petys ➑️
Sometimes when I burn .wav files to a cd, it won't play on certain cd players. That's why i was using Nero, which converts the wave files to .cda files. .cda files, I believe can play on any cd player. I just moved to a new computer and was looking for new software to burn but didn't want to use Nero because it's kind of a bloated software program.

Can anybody recommend a good burning software program that isn't so bloated.
1. You can not burn WAV files to an Audio CD. Whichever burning software you use will convert them to CD Audio tracks before or while burning (as others mentioned before, a CD Audio track is not exactly a "file" by common computer standards).
2. There is a distinction between Audio and Data CDs. You can burn WAV files to a data CD and several CD players will be able to play them back. Some CD players, especially older ones and some higher end brands will only play back audio CDs. Make sure you choose the appropriate CD type at the beginning of your burning session.
3. Some CD players are a bit picky about self-burned CDs. In this case, a different burning hardware or CD brand may (or may not) help. Or you can try lowering the burning speed.
4. Some CD players do not play back self burned CDs at all (have become rare recently). In this case: bad luck.

I used WinOnCD (the predecessor of Roxio Easy CD Creator) and Nero in the past. Now I mostly use Deep Burner (freeware) or, for the more delicate stuff, WaveLab to burn Audio CDs, on very rare occasions the burning program that comes with RedHat Linux. No issues with audio CDs on my home stereo ...

Good luck!

Thomas
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
When your cd is burnt, does it turn the wav file into a .cda file if you look at the songs in your computer. Nero did that. Turned the .wav file to a .cda file.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1. You can not burn WAV files to an Audio CD. Whichever burning software you use will convert them to CD Audio tracks before or while burning (as others mentioned before, a CD Audio track is not exactly a "file" by common computer standards).
Quoted because you missed it (again)

Put a cd in your computer, open windows explorer and browse that cd.
You'll see track 01.cda, track 02.cda etc.
These are not files. They are markers to the start and end of the "song".

Pressed audio cds or burned ones.

Just promise us you won't burn mp3s to cd.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
As waltermusik and others have noted, there is a difference between an audio CD and a CD-ROM with audio files in WAV or AIFF or other form.

The CD-ROM format is oriented to being absolutely sure that your data is intact. If there is a single error during burning -- the burn software should kick it. (All the same, I tend to use the burner's data verification after burning, anyway.)

The CD audio disc format and CD players/playback are, by contrast, oriented to maintaining continuous playback of the material on the disc at all costs. If there are errors, they are corrected by if at all possible and skipped over, if not, which will lead to varying degrees of sonic degradation during PB.

As a consequence, you should always archive your audio in data format on CD-ROMs. There's nothing wrong with having an audio CD of your material for playback -- but if the object is preservation/archival of the material, by all means use the more robust CD-ROM format. And make several copies. (I often try to make the copies to different CD blank batches/brands in order to 'spread' my exposure to possible problems around, since a given batch of blanks will sometimes have more problems and potentially less longevity than another batch/brand.)
πŸ“ Reply