Quantcast
Cell Phone Sounds coming thru on my Speakers. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cell Phone Sounds coming thru on my Speakers.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cell Phone Sounds coming thru on my Speakers.

I recently replaced my desktop using a Delta 44 with a laptop using an Audiofire 2. The laptop did not have firewire so I ended up getting an expresscard converter that I made sure had a Texas Instruments chipset.

Problem is now I am getting that cell phone interferance sound you hear sometimes on headsets when someone is sending a text msg. Is it most likely the Expresscard causing this?

Not that big of a deal but it's happenning more and more often.
My laptop is a Gateway T6836
Expresscard is a Startech.
Any ideas guyz?
Old 1st February 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman ➑️
I recently replaced my desktop using a Delta 44 with a laptop using an Audiofire 2. The laptop did not have firewire so I ended up getting an expresscard converter that I made sure had a Texas Instruments chipset.

Problem is now I am getting that cell phone interferance sound you hear sometimes on headsets when someone is sending a text msg. Is it most likely the Expresscard causing this?

Not that big of a deal but it's happenning more and more often.
My laptop is a Gateway T6836
Expresscard is a Startech.
Any ideas guyz?
The harmonics that come in on the carrier are extremely difficult to quell. That's
why most studios have a "cell phone off" policy. The best remedy is to turn your
cell phone off when tracking or mixing.

jef
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham ➑️
The harmonics that come in on the carrier are extremely difficult to quell. That's
why most studios have a "cell phone off" policy. The best remedy is to turn your
cell phone off when tracking or mixing.

jef
Oh well I know it's not my phone. It's bound to be my girls and convincing her to turn it off while I am mixing is going to be futile. Thx for the advice.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I get the cells from the street. Very annoying, especially since my own cell doesn't even get signal. Maybe time to build a faraday cage!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
GSM is way worse than non-GSM-

Verizon causes no problems for me, ATT is a perpetual problem, because the signal seems to get into everything...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➑️

Verizon causes no problems for me, ATT is a perpetual problem, because the signal seems to get into everything...
Yes. I switched to verizon for this reason. Zero problems. thumbsup
ATT/ Cingular, whatever they are, always runs interference.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Yeah it's a GSM thing.

Glad your GF respects your work/space... :/ Eesh.

Good luck.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
your girlfriend is there in the studio on her phone while you are mixing...and you are bitching about that occasional little clicking noise !!!!

stop wasting my time!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Wow.

I guess I'm lucky. I've never had any apparent problem with RF interferenceon on any of my recording rigs -- at least not since my funky old 4 track set ups in the 80s, maybe, I think I had a brief issue with one guitar pedal.

In the even more distant past (I was an electronics freak as a little kid, but not a particularly deep one) I have had hinky old gear that could cat's whisker strong signals in, often because of bad wiring, cold solder joints, intermittent connections and the like.

I did get Firewire related interference when I had my laptop's internal audio and my MOTU 828mkII's audio outputs simultaneously plugged into (different, switched) inputs on my CR amp. The signal was in both audio streams, but removing either connection to the power amp broke the apparent signal contamination ground loop.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And the Sprint/Nextel thing will light up an entire PA.
Old 6th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And doesn't that just make ya go "Hmm..." when you are made so-aware of the signals being sent through the air around us (and also, our tissue)?

Freaked me out when I was having a massage once and the nice calming nature ambience CD was interrupted by (squqqqqeeeeeeaawwwk....ccchhzzzzzz.....) and I realized what it was.

Old 6th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkadellic ➑️
your girlfriend is there in the studio on her phone while you are mixing...and you are bitching about that occasional little clicking noise !!!!

stop wasting my time!
I agree with you, but if you're reading and replying to threads that you consider pointless then I'd say you're wasting your own time.
Old 7th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_Dred ➑️
I agree with you, but if you're reading and replying to threads that you consider pointless then I'd say you're wasting your own time.

I agree.... Dumb comment.
And would like to point out that she is not in the room with me. She is texting in the other room. It's the common transmission sounds the speakers are picking up. I thought that was fairly obvious.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I would have to agree. Recently my gf switched over to Verizon and I have not once heard the interferance since then. So consider the issue resolved.

Hopefully anyone else that has these issues will read this thread and know to go with Verizon. Props to Verizon.
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Shield cell phone noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman ➑️
... I am getting that cell phone interferance sound you hear sometimes on headsets when someone is sending a text msg.
Try The QB-EM Shield or an anti-static bag, the kind that memory chips come in. Place the shield against the offending phone, it doesn't block data transmission just the noise. The 3G iPhone doesn't generate the noise (when its operating in 3G mode) don't know about other 3G phones.

Quick Bridge Solutions - EM Shield
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My iPhone 3G definitely puts odd chirping noises into my Genelecs. I haven't checked to see if it's being recorded yet, but I get an occasional rhythmic clicking/chirping sound when the phone is sitting on the console. The interference seems like it's going directly into the speakers. When the phone is on my right side, it mostly comes out of the right speaker and same goes for the left.

This did not happen with my Motorola Razr, but that doesn't mean I want it back.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller ➑️
My iPhone 3G definitely puts odd chirping noises into my Genelecs. I haven't checked to see if it's being recorded yet, but I get an occasional rhythmic clicking/chirping sound when the phone is sitting on the console. The interference seems like it's going directly into the speakers. When the phone is on my right side, it mostly comes out of the right speaker and same goes for the left.

This did not happen with my Motorola Razr, but that doesn't mean I want it back.
Are you sure you have 3G signal when you hear the noise? Even with a 3G iPhone, if your data signal changes to edge, you will get noise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find that 3g enabled phones are the problem.

We got a DI bass track (recorded somewhere else) where there was cellclicks all over the track. Turns out the bass player had his phone in his pocket with the ringer off. I had to use the mic track only.

We have a strict cellphone policy at our studio. People sometimes question it, but when the PA lights up with an incoming call, they get the idea.

to the OP: I find that ground lifting the laptop will solve a lot of electronic noise issues. At a client's place, I always get electronic interference from the external HD. Ground lifting solves it
πŸ“ Reply