Quantcast
Building a PC for Cubase 5 and Yamaha n12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a PC for Cubase 5 and Yamaha n12
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Building a PC for Cubase 5 and Yamaha n12

Hello, this is my first post here. I did search around and found some great information about building a PC in general (this thread was outstanding: Building a PC) but since I am looking to do something somewhat specific, I thought a new post might be appropriate.

This is what I will require from a new PC:

Modern components, 8 Cores of Intel CPU, Solid mobo, 4 or more GB of RAM, 1TB of HDD, a video card that drives 3 or 4 monitors (this is important, i have 3 monitors on my current machine and doubt i could go backwards), I am planning on running cubase 5 with the yamaha n12 mixer/interface (neither of which i have bought yet). I would prefer to finally jump over to Vista but would certainly stay on XP if need be. I read about an incompatibility between cubase 5 and yamaha n12 on gearslutz but its supposed to be resolved in feb.

Aside from the video card driving 3-4 screens, and it being a generally high performing machine, the most important thing to me is to have it be quiet as i want to be able to record acoustic sources in the same room as the pc itself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Patternbased
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HI,
the core i7 is a better choice than an 8 core Xeon system

less money more power and easier to quiet.

Scott
ADK
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply, Scott

I have been looking around per your suggestion. Does this combo look good to you?:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66 - $295
Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME KGA 1366 - $328
Corsair 6GB RAM - $179

That would take care of the CPU/Mobo/RAM. It would only be 4 cores instead of 8 but still a big step up from my current rig I imagine. I am trying to figure out a good video card(s) solution that would go with this mobo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➡️
less money
yes. 40,- bucks.

XEON:
2 x E5405 passive EUR 400,-
Tyan Mobo EUR 250,-
Qimonda FB-DIMM (3 x 2GB) 6GB EUR 120,-

770,-

I7:
I-920: EUR 280,-
Gigabyte GA-EX58 EXTR. EUR 300,-
Corsair 6GB EUR 150,-

730,-

Quote:
more power.
no, 2 harpertown quads rock the actual I7s.

Quote:
easier to quiet.
no, 80W Xeon can be cooled passive (passive cooler inlcuded in boxed versions), 130W I7 has to be active cooled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternbased ➡️
It would only be 4 cores instead of 8 but still a big step up from my current rig
definitely.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HI,
a 5405 Xeon? LOL try again.
even the 5430's cant keep up and thats alot more money.

2) for a Xeon you need 4 sticks of ram for proper quad channel.
3 sticks would not even run in dual channel....
need at mimimum 850W power for Xeons as well

as one who has tried to do passive cooling Uhmm NO
what you fail to think about is how LOUD the case fans have to be to do this
plus you are forgetting the obsurd heat from the FBdimms.

FYI i have got my Xeons very quiet but not as quiet as our Core i7.
again the heat from the FBdimm is crazy.
the south bridge overheats very easy as well.

and lastly as the the 54xx beating the Core i7 Uhmm NO. fat chance.

for audio the xeon is beat by the Core i7. the only area where i still recommend a Xeon (and i make more on a Xeon build) is for Video editing when they are working in HD (real HD not HDV) and uncompressed.

and its more about the mobo architecture than CPU power. (multiple Bus) so i can break up the capture card and raid arrays on seperate bus'

here is a nice little set of benchmarks to prove you wrong.

Intel i7 DAW Performance Reports : - Unofficial Cubase and Nuendo User Forums

Scott
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just read

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

sure 2 x 5420 would be faster, but the 5405 still rock the actual I7 non-extreme. and they´re as fast as the extreme that costs 1000,- EUR.

just take a good case and big high-quality case-fans. you´ll hear nothing compared to any of the 80x80mm I7-fans.

but ok... i just used Xeons at my friends studio, so ignore me
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez ➡️
just read

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

sure 2 x 5420 would be faster, but the 5405 still rock the actual I7 non-extreme. and they´re as fast as the extreme that costs 1000,- EUR.

just take a good case and big high-quality case-fans. you´ll hear nothing compared to any of the 80x80mm I7-fans.

but ok... i just used Xeons at my friends studio, so ignore me
i dont give a rats butt what some synthetic test says

i benchmark them for audio and video!
have you?

already gave you proof enough...heh

Scott
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
have you?
i´m working on all those machines...
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternbased ➡️
the most important thing to me is to have it be quiet as i want to be able to record acoustic sources in the same room as the pc itself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Patternbased
I really hope your fans don't give you any trouble! Hopefully, they won't. One box of mine did though.

Ifff your fans are a problem making that whir sounding noise, and you like working with your hands, you might be inclined to try some sound absorbtive materials, near the pc but definately not suffocating it neither. I've got some panels , for example, made of air conditioning duct (fiberglass which I wrapped) in a 3 sided box like enclosure--which isn't perfect and does allow air in--but tames it down. A kludge that works. No furniture style points though...

Another Option:You can reduce the voltage going to the fans also in some instances too--and that helps it right at the noise source. I grabbed a 6 volt wall wort power supply, for example, and instead of feeding the 12 volt case exhaust fan with the expected full 12 volts, i just gave it less voltage. Significant change for the better. Less air movement, but less nuisance factor with the noise.

Compromises that some people may not take, but the ambient fan noise left me no choice. The fan noise I hope will not be problem, but it can ruin a song. One track may not that big a deal, but when comping several tracks of it, it was like tape hiss.....
📝 Reply