The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Gate Question
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Logic Gate Question

Hello there,

What a super site!

I have a lengthly audio file recorded into Logic and instead of removing the usual 'unwanted' sounds with a noise gate, I am proposing to remove all the 'significant' sounds instead. If this makes any sense to anyone?! I'm hoping there is a way to do this (reversing a threshold perhaps?!) without having to cut into and mute each sound manually. As it's an irregular timed audio file, splicing in increments won't be much use to me unfortunately..

Thanks in advance,

Sinead
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Good Morning,

Logic does have a couple of very useful tools for this - they are destructive edits,
so it is best to do a "save as" of your audio file first. There is a "silencer" that
removes noise at a threshold you determine. The file will sound a little bit duller
at first listen, but it is pretty easy to add sparkle back in with EQ.

The silencer is part of the editor in the bottom window - I'm flaking on the exact name
right now (no coffee yet) but double clicking on the audio file will bring it up.

You can also apply the silencer only to specific areas - for instance, if you want to keep
the breath sounds in a vocal but want lower level or texture, you can select and area
and apply it.

Of ocurse, you can also just pencil out the areas, or delete them here too, but that
can be a little inelegant if you don't apply any cross fading (which of course you can
do here too).

Don't forget simple EQ roll offs, if the noise in contained to a particular range that is
not critical to the track.

You may also find more answers posting in the "Music Computers" section.

Best of luck to you.

MJH
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Smile

Great, thanks so much for your detailed reply!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…