Quantcast
Izotope Ozone 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Izotope Ozone 4
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Izotope Ozone 4

Everybody talk about what's going on with their experiences with Ozone 4 because it's now out.
cam
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMHO The loudness compensation between engaged/bypass modes and Mid/Side functions alone make it a no-brainer upgrade for Oz 3 owners...especially at the intro upgrade price of $79!
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So far I think it's pretty impressive. They've focused on making it more tweakable, with amount (wet) adjustments everywhere... even within the preset menu. The M/S addition is nice too and extremely simple to use.

As far as quality of the limiter compared to version 3, I haven't done any comparison yet. Overall it seems stable. My only initial dislike was the choice of text font beside the front panel buttons. They're difficult to read on my display.

-SD
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just bought it, i have T-racks 3 also and have used ozone 3 for a long time, will check it out tomorrow and compare them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Harmonic Exciter isn't useless on this one which is exciting. On 3, even at .1 the exciter was on too much...pretty cool when you need it. I haven't tried the M/S portion yet but am excited to have the option of having it. I just gladly paid my $79 upgrade, not a ton of upgrades but they seem to be right so far.
cam
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
Everybody talk about what's going on with their experiences with Ozone 4 because it's now out.
cam
I really like the idea of an Ozone, kind of plug. But, sound wise, I have never fallen in love. If you want your mix to look like a "Sinus Sausage" then, by all means - insert Ozone and you will go loud, but the quality, IMO, will be a few levels down of the quantity.

One of my fav. Go Loud Plugs - Is Solera from FLUX paired with an L2 from Waves.
Solera, is the most forgving plug I have ever worked with.

PS - YES - I DO BETA for FLUX. But that has nothing to do with my opinion of them.... Hmmm, guess I would NOT beta for them if I did not like them. Still, their plugs, especially Solera, has found a way into my heart.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts ➑️
..."Sinus Sausage"...
lLMAOROTF! What a funny word combo (obviously one I hadn't heard before)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C ➑️
lLMAOROTF! What a funny word combo (obviously one I hadn't heard before)
well, if you compress/limit a sound enough, it matter NOT whether you put a wave form or a sausage into the waveform view heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well up to now I had referred to those with the boring '2x4'. Never again, all over limited files are now officially 'Sinus Sausages'! I give it about a day (and hearing the latter 100 times) before everyone I know will be ready to send me off to the rendering house
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
the hell's a sinus sausage?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I really like the idea of an Ozone, kind of plug. But, sound wise, I have never fallen in love. If you want your mix to look like a "Sinus Sausage" then, by all means - insert Ozone and you will go loud, but the quality, IMO, will be a few levels down of the quantity.

One of my fav. Go Loud Plugs - Is Solera from FLUX paired with an L2 from Waves.

PS - YES - I DO BETA for FLUX. But that has nothing to do with my opinion of them.... Hmmm, guess I would NOT beta for them if I did not like them. Still, their plugs, especially Solera, has found a way into my heart.
I suggest you check out the limiter portion of Ozone (intelligent or intelligent 2 modes) as it sounds way less sausage like than the L2 or Flux limiters.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Paid the $79.- yesterday,
and one great upgrade so far.

Sometimes Ozone is just the way to go.
Yes, I said sometimes...

M
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Wow, it sounds like you really already downloaded Ozone 4 and really threw it through its paces before commenting on it. Can you at least try it before you completely flame on it, that's pretty a$$. And you also admitted to beta-testing for flux on top of it...classy.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It amazes me how much time so many people on this forum spend bad mouthing things. I understand if there is a really serious issue with a piece of software wanting to alert others to it. But to spend time just debasing stuff is a complete waste of time. I would venture to guess that the people who consistently do that are either not very busy in their studios, or not a whole lot of fun to work with.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I was experimenting with the eq, and noticed how unique the curves are. I'm not quite sure what to think about it (eq). I noticed with some curves and sizable boosts (say around +6-9), the highs were harsh sounding on a mix I was testing. Anyone else noticed this? I was able to tweak the curve, and at more moderate, realistic settings, it sounded ok.

I also use RX and the former ver3 of Ozone, but rarely used the eq sections of either. I commonly use outboard gear for mixing and mastering, and usually only use Ozone for it's limiter- so I was kinda baffled why the eq sounded like that.

The new Intelligent II mode for the limiter sounds very good, by the way.

-SD
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
can i use for limiting on traks and buses or only on master track for limiting all song .

the delay of the plugin how much is it ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
It amazes me how much time so many people on this forum spend bad mouthing things. I understand if there is a really serious issue with a piece of software wanting to alert others to it. But to spend time just debasing stuff is a complete waste of time. I would venture to guess that the people who consistently do that are either not very busy in their studios, or not a whole lot of fun to work with.
Likely both.

People need to learn what it's like to be in the shoes of the guy (or person's work) you're criticizing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
Wow, it sounds like you really already downloaded Ozone 4 and really threw it through its paces before commenting on it. Can you at least try it before you completely flame on it, that's pretty a$$. And you also admitted to beta-testing for flux on top of it...classy.
cam
i was beta testing for flux and really like solera too, but knowing how to setup ozone 3.. i went ahead and adjusted the eq, crossover and reverb settings... ozone 4 does sound better than 3... thats for sure and it doesnt hurt the quality what so ever.
any limiter hit to hard the mix will be a
Quote:
"Sinus Sausage"
L2 for instance..not to mention it'll sound pumpy at times

im not a master engineer. i may use ozone to polish a mix though.. i like it more than t-racks 3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not much impressed with Ozone3. But I remember that was the only plug-in where I get loudness as hell without much artefacts. But all sounds a bit smeary to me.

However, lets try the Ozone 4 thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Limiter in O4 is pretty damn nice. I am liking it better than L3 et all. And I am really digigng the Harmonic Exciter. I usually don't like such things but this sounds pretty cool and tweakable, and choosing odd or even harmonics is a nice touch.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Limiter is def very nice! Nice even if you turn it up - not in your face in bad way - somehow musical.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
question. if you make your own preset can you add the extra controls slider i.e. 'loudness', 'widening'?

edit: nevermind, reading a little more info
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
haven't really had the chance to use it properly. but recently i've only been using izotope as a multiband compressor, infact only on the bass end and then using massey L2007 for limiting. I might have to have a fiddle with all the m/s stuff because I've never really tried it
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've got TC Electronic's MD3 / Brickwall Limiter for the Powercore, which does some of the same things as Ozone. Do you guys think that Ozone is up to the quality of the TC Electronic stuff.. I mean, when you say it's good, is it good for the money, or is it good, if you catch my drift... It definitely has some features that the TC Electronic doesn't offer (the Harmonic Exciter catches my eye), but I wonder if I'd actually use it alongside or in place of MD3.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The harmonic exciter is really great. It turned my folk mix into a folk mix with some real 'warm' vibe. Definitely worth checking out.
Deleted 1a30a04
I've kicked the tires on it for a couple of days. Firstly, I'm not a
mastering engineer .. but I play one on TV :-) .. Whether Ozone
4 is a suitable mastering tool is not my call. But, I can say that it's
probably more useful for mastering than Ozone 3 was.

To me, here are the highlights of this release:

1. Mid/Side processing is major feature of Ozone 4 and justifies the
upgrade price alone. For the exciter, dynamics, reverb and EQ,
you can treat the Mid and Side stereo information separately.
Combine this with multi-banding, and I can destroy the carefully
crafted spatial,spectral, and transient attributes of any 2 channel material ;-)
Seriously, Mid/Side processing can do some pretty amazing things in
the right hands.

2. "Intelligent II" limiter mode. This is also a very important feature in Ozone 4
and may put it back in my list of limiters to use. You can push it a little
harder before the transients get smooshed / lost. I am disappointed that they
did not add the Pow-r dither(s) to the list for 4.

3. "Hybrid" cross-overs .. now this is really nice .. the problem with the Analog vs.
Digital setting is that the "Analog" setting still sounded digital to me (in
Ozone 3). In 4, "Hybrid" sounds very much like the hardware analog
X-overs one would expect it to sound like. This very important setting is
hiding underneath the Options->EQ/Reverb/Xover tab (along with some other
interesting buffer tweaks).

4. As has been mentioned, the much feared and loathed Harmonic Exciter from
Ozone-3 has a new mode "Warm" that actually sounds pretty good. The other
settings are just as ear-bleed inducing as before.

5. For multi-band users, there's a new "learn" function on the bands. Basically,
you right click on the band .. choose "Learn" .. and then play the material.
Ozone will find natural "dips" in the EQ spectrum to insert the x-overs. Pretty
handy and seems to work pretty well too.

6. Auto-gain on bypass .. this is really nice because before (if you bypassed Ozone),
there was (often) such a level mis-match that A/B'ing things was really
difficult.

7. Preset "amount" . you can make some initial tweaks to a preset before you apply
it ...

8. Overall "amount" setting .. if like what you're hearing but want everything
less affected .. then this control is kind of handy.

iZotope claims everything has been tuned up (CPU wise). I'm not seeing this
much. I had hoped less-CPU would equate to less latency .. but that does
not seem to be the case. Tweak your buffers up, enable all the sections and
you can quickly get up to 20k samples delay. If you want Ozone on anything
other than your 2-buss, you need to be mindful of the latency (especially
on LE .. and even HD (because you can exceed the limit of the Dcomp
buffer). I understand that full double-precision processing and linear-phase
processing takes a lot of horsepower ..so the latency is a natural
by-product of buffer settings, which modules are enabled, how
many bands, etc.

Other don't likes .. I'm not real keen on some of the GUI changes .. the
text is harder to read (on the sectional controls) and they've attempted
some lighting effects on the face. The result is a "milky" look in some
pretty critical areas of the paragraphic read-out ... this needs to go.

I continue to be terrified of the multiband stereo imager ... the fact of being able
to alter the mid/side stereo in multiple bands and add delay to each
of the sections must make Blumlein spin in his grave. I've yet to
determine a suitable usage for such processing .. One band is often
too much ;-)

So, bottom line for me .. yes .. worth the upgrade, "Warm" and "Intelligent II"
and "Hybrid" x-overs make Ozone sound much more musical to me.

Oh .. lots of new presets .. some new preset manager enhancements ..

It would be interesting to hear a mastering engineers take on it. Might be
like asking Dr Dre to use Fruity Loops .. but it would still be interesting.

jeff
ps: The mastering primer from iZotope is mandatory reading ;-)
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace ➑️
I've got TC Electronic's MD3 / Brickwall Limiter for the Powercore, which does some of the same things as Ozone. Do you guys think that Ozone is up to the quality of the TC Electronic stuff.. I mean, when you say it's good, is it good for the money, or is it good, if you catch my drift... It definitely has some features that the TC Electronic doesn't offer (the Harmonic Exciter catches my eye), but I wonder if I'd actually use it alongside or in place of MD3.
I was mucking around a bit today with Ozone comparing it to the TC Master X3, which i guess is a step below your MD3, and my impressions with Ozone have been its hard to get it to sound quite as good, but its easy to make it sound ALOT worse.

It seems to be a very tweakable plug that you can massage a very nice sound out of, but you can also butcher it just as easily.
Deleted 37a7726
Ver 4 is well worth the upgrade. The EQ band control/list it worth it alone & the matching EQ seems to be more functional then before.
To me Ozones gem is the Harmonic exciter.
Everyone seems to over look that the exciter has Dry/wet functions. It has all along. By default it's 100% wet. This is why when you tweak the thing it gets harsh quick. Try soloing the each band one at a time. Bring up the exciter to the point before distorted mush. Then bring the faders to 100% dry. Unsolo the bands & mix the wet signal to taste.
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust ➑️
I was mucking around a bit today with Ozone comparing it to the TC Master X3, which i guess is a step below your MD3, and my impressions with Ozone have been its hard to get it to sound quite as good, but its easy to make it sound ALOT worse.

It seems to be a very tweakable plug that you can massage a very nice sound out of, but you can also butcher it just as easily.
I think you've nailed it exactly Matt. I think the processing that is done
in Ozone on each of the individual elements is quite good (harmonic exciter
aside). Especially in 4 .. the X-overs sound much more "hardware"
to me. The 64bit (double precision) processing is quite precise ... a
big CPU hog, but nice. If you give the unit suitable buffer sizes, then
you'll seldom get undesired smashing / pumping, pre-ringing, slam-limits,
etc. Unless you set the controls that way on purpose.

Multi-banding .. even on one element (say compression) is something
that you really have spend a long time at to master. But, many of
the Ozone presets encourage one to have multi-band Dynamics,
Reverb, Stereo Imaging and Excitation all engaged whether the
material needs it or not.

Ozone 4 adds another complexity of Mid/Side processing. Which
basically compounds the complexity in two dimensions.

If you were doing this in hardware, the overtness would be
really obvious after realizing you didn't have enough boxes to
run 4 bands by mid/side ;-) .. but in software .. it's just
one click away.

There are a lot of very sharp edges and Izotope has made it very
easy to sever digits and rupture arteries. It's a very powerful
tool .. but with few safeguards.

I honestly think they could mitigate this by coming up with a
very good series of online tutorials where they demonstrate
each of the features and let you hear the audible result. Making
the reference presets a little more sane would sure help too.

Start simple .. one band .. one component and work your way up.
Mastering is an audible art .. while they've done a good job of
writing (in their "Mastering with Ozone"), it's a bit like reading
about swimming ... you need to experience it to get your
head and ears around it ... and God knows the Help documentation
fosters the same "turn it all on and see what happens" mentality.

Taking some reference material through the entire process (in multiple
genres) would go along way to getting this tool used properly .. because
it is a good tool ... but .. like a chainsaw .. you can go through an
appendage as easily as a tree limb.

jeff
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think Izotope must have included the new wet/dry type of sliders in V4, to help mitigate Ozone's strength

By the way, isn't it interesting they say those sliders are not simple wet/dry controls because they also affect other parameters. I haven't investigated to see exactly what's happening.

-SD
πŸ“ Reply