Quantcast
clicks and pops - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
clicks and pops
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
clicks and pops

hello, I put my frontier dakota in an old machine I have lying around (asus a7a266 with amd athlon @1333mhz. 30g ide, and 256mb). because believe it or not it's much more modern than what I have been using. running sek'd samplitude 24\96 on fresh install of original windows 98. all it got me is alot of clicks, like a crackling sound, and lots of dropouts. this app and os worked fine on an older lesser machine for years. the recorded tracks appear to be fine. they look ok and the problems do not appear at the same points in repeated playback. seems to be a playback or clock issue? cpu use about 3%. auto insert notification is off. any thoughts?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Were you running 24/96 before or perhaps 24/44.1 or 24/48, instead? That could make a big diff, of course.

Next thing to look at is hardware buffer sizes (audio interface i/o buffers, typically set in the interface's driver applet)... if they're too small, you get buffer underruns that result in glitching as you describe.

Next thing to look at is the monitoring buffer setting in your DAW or other recording softare. If its set too low you get monitoring buffer underruns which result in glitching...
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks for the reply. sorry I did not mean to indicate that I use 96. dakota has adat i\o with no smux so it's limited to 44 or 48. so nothing above 48 on the old machine and the newer one as well. thanks for the good ideas, I'll check it out.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…