Analog Guy Needs Digital Help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Guy Needs Digital Help!
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Analog Guy Needs Digital Help!

Hey Guys,

I record and mix in analog. But recently a client has brought in an old tape that they want mixed. But the tape is shedding badly. So he has offered to buy me Logic Pro (plus cover the cost of converter rental) in exchange for mixing the project.

So, I want to transfer the 16 analog tracks straight into the computer. Do about 3-4 overdubs per song, and then mix using a friends 8 output MOTU. I will just create 4 stereo stems, and sum them through my console.

Here is the big question...
I have an iMac with a 2.4 Core 2 Duo processor with 2Gb of RAM, and an 250Gb external firewire hard drive. Is this enough to do the project?

Thanks so much! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

-Neil

P.S.
What is the highest sample/bit rate I could use. I will be renting 2 Apogee Rosetta 800s
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The computer will be fine, don't worry about that. Just looked at the Rosetta specs and you can record up to 192KHz, but anything over 96KHz is overkill, that's the view I subscribe to and I think it's the correct one.

The converters are 24 bit so record at 24 bit.

It seems a bit crazy to rent rosettas, buy logic and use the DA on a motu unit at the end.

I think motu are good but there are concerns about the earlier units, if it's a mk3 version of a motu unit then the clocks and analogue stages have been upgraded and are an improvement on the earlier ones.

Also, are you getting two rosettas because you don't want to risk doing more than one pass from the tape?

Otherwise just rent one and do two times 8 channel passes?

This is what I would do:

Rent one rosetta and not buy Logic.
Instead use any number of cheap or even free software programs to record in, and be able to send multi channel out. (50 bucks for Reaper)

Record the first 8 tracks in through the rosetta. Ditto the second 8.

Then use the spare money to rent two nice units to send 16 channels back out to your analogue desk and mix there.
Record your 4 stereo analogue mix stems back into the computer via the rosetta for possible mix tweaking later, as well as the final stereo mix.

In any case, don't forget to make sure the Rosetta/s have the firewire card installed!
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBrain ➑️

Here is the big question...
I have an iMac with a 2.4 Core 2 Duo processor with 2Gb of RAM, and an 250Gb external firewire hard drive. Is this enough to do the project?

Thanks so much! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

-Neil

P.S.
What is the highest sample/bit rate I could use. I will be renting 2 Apogee Rosetta 800s
The imac should be fine. Make sure and use 24 bit. Sample rate doesn't matter as much. 44.1 should be fine. I pull stuff off tape and run into logic using rosettas all the time. It should be no problem at all.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mult Out the Logic Outs to your console and Mix OTB using Rented Aurora 16 (since your client cover every rented gear/converter)....

IMHO, DA of Aurora and/or Apogee more superior than MOTU....

Route Back your Mix Out to Aurora/Apogee Ins and Logic track (but with unused outs assigned to this track, so no feedback loop occur)

Use 24bit and 48Khz Sample Rate as possible when transfer your Tape to Digital, use only Hi End Converter to do this (AD converter)....how many tracks on the Tape? 24? Rent 24 I/O (16 Aurora + 8 Aurora) so you will save your day, no need to sync all the gears....

Use AES PCI/PCIe for hook the auroras and the mac, make aggregate device setup in your mac...you need latest Mac Osx to run logic pro 8.

Hope can help
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You might want to bake the tape before you transfer.

TW
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Guys!!!

The reason I mentioned the MOTU, is that mixing will take place once a week for about six weeks (the client has a crazy schedule) so renting those converters 6 or seven times at $110 bucks a pop is not feasible. A friend has a spare MOTU sitting around he said I could use as long as I want.

Would this be better...
Rent the 16 channels of Apogee conversion, and then just keep it 24/96k in the box? Then burn a 24/96k DVD to send the mastering engineer? I've never mixed in the box (but have used pro tools and logic on a number of occasions) and maybe its time I try?

Also, how would I sync the tracks by only transferring 8 at a time?

Thanks guys sooooooo much!!!

-Neil
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think the best way is :

Rent the best 24 A/D converter for a day to transfer to daw. you need to finish all the transfer job in one day.

Use MOTU to mix ITB, I prefer dangerous d-box or Benchmark DAC for monitoring device.

Do you have others plugins beside the logic plugins?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not quite sure why you want to mix in the box when you have an analogue mix system that you are familar with but whatever heh

Ah, sorry, the mix schedule explains why!

Syncronisation - good question, I have no idea. Can't a tape machine be synced to a sequencer? Must be possible. If not then yes just get 16 AD channels.

Tell you what would be really cool for your own personal enjoyment, is to get the tracks in, mix in the box as you say. Burn the mix. If you have some really nice analogue outboard you like then you can just rent a nice 16 channel DA box and a great 2 channel AD box right at the end of the process, send 8 stereo stems to your desk for character/summing then get them back in again as a stereo file and see which you/your client prefers.

Then again it's his money going on the rentals so he might just tell you to piss off heh

Even better would be to buy two Behringer ADA8000s for DA so you could mix OTB, and then rent a high quality AD for recording the mix stems/final mix at the end.
If your client freaks about the Behringers then just point him in the direction of the Berry/Aurora thread
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well,

Thanks guys! The most important thing is that I can do it. I will only have access to whatever plug-ins that come with Logic.

My client is only willing to pay for the one time rental fee of the converter. So it looks like I'll just have to use my buddies MOTU for monitoring.

I thank you guys a lot for your advice! I am sure when I am in the mixing phase (in about two months) I'll be back with some questions!
Thanks,
-Neil
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering ➑️
You might want to bake the tape before you transfer.

TW
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

totally agree.
also, your computer will KICK A**.

i would agree with an earlier post on pcm rates. 24/96.

192 is overkill.

44.1 is unacceptable IMHO. it may be "practical" and i certianly understand its place. but for somthing like this...with just a few clicks of a mouse....why not?

besides, its always better to record 24 then dither down.
its also good for eternal storage.

fun fact. the U.S. Library of Congress archives analog tapes at 24/96. stuff like ella fitsgerald.bing crosby etc....before the tape loses its binding.

i read an article about it in MIX mag back in 04.

cheers
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
192 kHz is useless, unless you do music for bats.

Instead of going up in frequency, go into 24 bits - you will extend the dynamic range. Never record less than 24bit.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Neil
πŸ“ Reply