Quantcast
Retrograding my DAW - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retrograding my DAW
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Talking Retrograding my DAW

Ok so I've been one of the unlucky few whom back in 2005 bought a Nforce4 chipset based motherboard (Asus A8n-SLI) to build a DAW

So fast fwd 4 yrs later the motherboard is dead so I thought if I changed to a new motherboard type I would need to get new RAM and CPU as well....and the fact is I'm broke (as always) or rather sick and tired of spending on buying computer technology especially shelling out $ on a certain chipset/CPU socket type just to have them announce the next month they changed to a new socket The chase for speed is endless and quite pointless for me because I find that I am happy with the processing power given what I wish to do on my DAW. In other words, I don't need the next blazing fast system or even any recent boards 1-2 yrs old in the mkt. The next computer I buy will be a purpose built for DAW laptop that will be when I have the $.

So, I was thinking, maybe I should just buy a socket 939 board (and just plonk back in all my other components including my AMD64 1800), but NOT the nforce4 chipset. So which chipset then is known to be stable for DAW use, preferably supporting the 939 dualcore? Which motherboard is best, with at least 3 PCI slots and will play nice with my UAD-1? Hoping jschild would pop in with some insight

Thanks for any help/experience
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
wow 939? i would say ati chipset. assuming you can even find a 939 board.

personally i would do a Phenom I or II and an ATI chipset.

MA790X-DS4

its been so long i cant recommend a 939 board... sorry we use to use asus with ati chipset.

Scott
ADK
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi Scott

Yes there are still a lot of used 939 boards.....on ebay heh

Hmm I'm using a Nvidia GPU if I'm not wrong I can't use an ATI chipset right? Phenom is Am2 or Am3 socket no?

So are the 2 remaining chipsets Via KT890 pro or Sis 756 viable? Any users with experience with these two can recommend motherboards?

I'm loooking at a Asus A8V-E SE which is 890chipset and supports dualcore 939 version....
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The A8v-Deluxe is the one you want. If you go through the 'working setups' threads on the UAD website then nearly every single one lists the A8V-deluxe as the motherboard.

If you don't want to upgrade your processor because you're going to buy a laptop soon then that's the 939 mobo I would go for.

ps there is no problem using an nvidia card on a motherboard with an Ati chipset).

pps I made a bad motherboard decision because I was scared of the Nvidia chipsets, but the new versions are solid for audio. I'm using an Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe and it rocks.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…