No way it will hang with my G4 Dual 1.42, not even close
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wonder if it can run Nebula on every track
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am eager to see the becnhmarks and how they can compare with an clocked i7 920 to 3.5 GHZ. But I guess the Xeon is damn expensive anyway...maybe not worth the money ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion ➡️
I am eager to see the becnhmarks and how they can compare with an clocked i7 920 to 3.5 GHZ. But I guess the Xeon is damn expensive anyway...maybe not worth the money ?
Will it still have ECC memory? if so, will that kill the low-latency performance?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon ➡️
Will it still have ECC memory? if so, will that kill the low-latency performance?
Latency is not as important on the I7 platform, the bandwidth are...
That is what I have read in various test reports...

I7 9xx have no ECC support...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you will see any 4 socket Intel i7 systems before Fall 2009, earliest. Probably more like year's end.

I think it's more likely that you are looking at dual socket, 4 core CPUs with Hyperthreading II yielding 16 virtual cores and that there is some confusion as a result. As far as I know, 4 socket capable i7 Xeons are not even sampling yet. NO WAY they show in March.

That's why they're called "rumor" sites.

Just as a reference point on the future of multi-core CPUs, we have a couple of quad-core, quad socket Opteron 16 core rigs running Nuendo. Big machines, but they are kind of a 12 month glimpse into the future of what will by then be a high end desktop, in terms of core count. For what we do, which includes high track counts while pushing high quality video out of Decklink cards, they are fantastic. Digi better decide what they want to do about their hardware pretty soon, because the pure power of Native is (finally) getting to be overwhelming. At mixing latency, heavy plugin counts on hundreds of tracks is not an issue.

I'm widely considered to be half crazy, and even I am getting to the point of thinking this is all the power you need. ;-)
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT ➡️
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you will see any 4 socket Intel i7 systems before Fall 2009, earliest. Probably more like year's end.

I'm widely considered to be half crazy, and even I am getting to the point of thinking this is all the power you need. ;-)
WOW , BT, I didnt even know 4 slot boards were coming, heck I was just looking forward to a two slot i7, crazy power
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hope my G5 lasts until then
My Atari 1040 still does, LOL!
Let's hope that Logic and PT will support it soon,
or you'll be stuck with all that RAM and 16 cores.
I'm happy with my 8GB 8core; just can't seem to max it out!thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC ➡️
I'm happy with my 8GB 8core; just can't seem to max it out!thumbsup
It's time for plugin manufacturers to step it up a notch.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
WOW , BT, I didnt even know 4 slot boards were coming, heck I was just looking forward to a two slot i7, crazy power
Those are Opterons I'm talking about and 4 socket motherboards have been available for some time for those, as well as previous Intel Xeons.

But the i7 based Xeons that are 4 socket capable will take a little longer for Intel to release. I'd guess late fall, unless Apple scores some sort of secret deal, which is possible, but still very unlikely before Q3 at the earliest.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 86c3d96
I did some testing with the new Nehalem chips, and Smackover MB.

I would just be careful not to read too much into the benefits of the triple channel memory architecture. The current Mac Pro already can use a quad channel memory.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I won't be upgrading anytime soon but if do, the only thing I have to request for the new case is please make it rackable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon ➡️
I would just be careful not to read too much into the benefits of the triple channel memory architecture. The current Mac Pro already can use a quad channel memory.

this alone tells me you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

next you are going to tell me there is memory you can buy thats dual channel memory...

Scott
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprpmp ➡️
if you want a screamin IO subsystem check these out:
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1C5 160GB SATA Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Get 4 of those and RAID-0 them together, you will be stunned.

--jake
ha!

I'm sure it would... and for more than the cost of my entire computer!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade ➡️
erm.... historically every desktop was the most powerful desktop ever built when they were introduced.
Damn I was gonna say that!!
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➡️

next you are going to tell me there is memory you can buy thats dual channel memory...

Scott
ADK
Nevermind...I deleted my comment. I wont jump to the bait.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Given the fact that i can hardly push my 2.8 ghz 8core over the 50% mark no matter how hard i try i have no problem to use it another year or two before i feel tempted to buy the next generation. I bet by then we have 64 cores.......

The only thing that i want asap is true 64 bit access for the RAM i bought.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➡️

Scott
ADK
They actually have quadro channel, they crossed it from the southbridge right over to the northbridge, while using 2x2 dual channel triple modes..

No seriously, its actually kind of silly. Processor evolution isnt all that great, imagine how much power all those i7 cores/chips will eat.. No i think its time for some real changes, like quantom processors or something more revolutionairy. This is just building bigger and bolding and not much benefit..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTone ➡️
Mixing in Logic is already a dream with the Mac Pro 8-core 2.8 GHz that came out last year... I never run out of juice and I do some huge sessions. But sure, I guess you can always have even more power.
same here, why bother for audio, maybe encoding video will gain some speed but studio use is already having headroom for years with the actual machine.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu ➡️
The only thing that i want asap is true 64 bit access for the RAM i bought.
That, and some affordable large capacity solid state drives.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New 8 Core i7 xeons should be on their way soon! 16 true cores 32 threads.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From the article linked above (my emphasis):

"Intel isn't expected to release the 8-core processor at the event, which often touches on roadmaps rather than production hardware."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas ➡️
They actually have quadro channel, they crossed it from the southbridge right over to the northbridge, while using 2x2 dual channel triple modes..

you are correct! sorta

older Core systems are dual core
dual Xeon are quasi dual front side bus so thats where they get the marketing hype of "quad channel" when in reallity its dual channel with 2 pipes. (again a sorta dual pipe)

the newer Xeon i7 will have triple channel and now that there is no north bridge
and the memory controller is on die wow! there is not a dual fsb this go around as CSI takes over. and looks more like an Opteron.

single core 2 systems have memory benchmarks of around 8k (DDR2)
with DDR3 its like 12k

Xeon with the Very slow FBDimm (ecc reg is bad enough FBdimm makes its worse)
horrible for samples...

AnandTech: Apple's Mac Pro - A True PowerMac Successor
i hate linking to these type sites..

a Core i7 single is 27k memory bandwidth far far exceeding anything included the previous winner AMD Opterons. they were about 11-12k with NUMA.

i cant say much about the Core i7 Xeon as i really am under NDA.

i will have audio benchmarks soon which i can release (too small a market for intel to care)

Scott
ADK

FYI there is no such thing as dual channel memoryheh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i frickin LOVE my 8core 2.8ghz mac pro

the cpu's are never the bottleneck for speed (even launching applications, whatever), it's pretty much always the HD. loading samples, etc, are the only times i wait around (oh, and logic's offline bouncing not using 100% of all cores, and as i have a duende i have to bounce in realtime anyways ). but yeah, we need faster HD's bigtime.

i have 2 Duende's helping me out too...

now my video editing buddy... watching his mac pro crawl when he's editing the 1080HD video he's made for us, with all the After Effects stuff going on.... now that is mental!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
but if the new case somehow looks cooler than the current one, i'll be pissed heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
i frickin LOVE my 8core 2.8ghz mac pro

the cpu's are never the bottleneck for speed (even launching applications, whatever), it's pretty much always the HD. loading samples, etc, are the only times i wait around (oh, and logic's offline bouncing not using 100% of all cores, and as i have a duende i have to bounce in realtime anyways ). but yeah, we need faster HD's bigtime.

i have 2 Duende's helping me out too...

now my video editing buddy... watching his mac pro crawl when he's editing the 1080HD video he's made for us, with all the After Effects stuff going on.... now that is mental!
That's the Mac I'm using and it's just great. I have not seen it even hit the 50% mark yet, even on some pretty heavy sessions. Great Mac...

TH
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
2.8 octocore here too, can´t wait to get snow leopard and true 64bit support so Logic
can allocate any memory a project needs. hard to reach the 50% mark for now, even
with very large arrangements. I guess my MacPro will do it for 3 more years easily.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I got a Quad-Core 2.66 xeon when it first came out. All in all I would say that it is the best purchase I have ever made... ever. Normally I'd unload my computer before the newer model comes out (as in new case/design), but even though the resale value of these mac pros have held up really well and will probably drop if a new design comes out, I can't really be bothered to sell mine this time. I think I'll be happy to keep this one for the foreseeable future.

It was way cheaper than an equivalent PC when I bought it, and I still can't max this thing out. Initially it was a bit slow with the base configuration, but then I added 8gb ram (waaaay cheaper than apple's) and some 32mb buffer Spinpoint F1s and it came roaring to life. The body is amazing and built like a tank. It's a joy to open up and install ram or harddrives, and its very quiet. I've had it since August 2006, and could easily see myself still using it in 3 or 4 years time. Still runs more than enough plugins for me, and is zippy in final cut.

The next frontier for me, as other people mentioned, is some ssd drives. First I want to get an SSd for my start-up drive, and later when they come down in price, stuff 4 more of them in there in RAID for my main storage/samples drive.

For anyone thinking about getting one, my advice is to grab one of the new models as soon as it comes out. Sometimes its better to wait for second generation, but with Mac Pros I think it definitely pays to get them early in the product cycle. Best line of desktops ever made IMO
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love getting excited about hardware specs and possibilities as much if not more so than the next guy... honest.

But least we not forget... hardware is nothing without the software to run it....and unfortunately mainstream OSes are not cutting it! they are not moving ahead as fast as the hardware (they will of course but when?) ... hell in PC world its moving backwards.

Its nice to have 32-110 cores all virtualized etc etc.... but until the OSes , applications and hardware all speak the same language and are on the same pages. It's really all just nice rims on a hatchback. :P ... in this case a very nice hatchback.

what needs to happen before a 16-core (32 virtualized) will actually matter to you...

*The Audio community ( all communities actually...naturally) take the leap into a full end-to-end 64bit environment that means from OS to applications to applications within applications...etc
*OS developers having better communication with hardware developers... (exception - Sun Microsystems - OpenSolaris)

and of course
*SSD write speeds are increased tremendously....or hybrid HDDs become economical or HDDs are revamped into reliable yet ulta fast devices...

just my 2cents into the core craze...cheers

p.s its not like the bottlenecks of FSBs werent already removed before....AMD had done so years ago.

lets go software devs your turn!!
📝 Reply