Quantcast
EastWest Trying to Go Out of Business? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EastWest Trying to Go Out of Business?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
This is cool. While all you long-time EW users are lurking here in the same thread, I have a question.

I've never owned an EW product, but do they have a collection of a solo or chamber strings that is dry and with mutes?

Like VSL's Chamber II or solo strings II? No regular strings .... too many of those in the world. But small, dry, and with mutes ... that's what I'm looking for

I've never really looked at the entire EW site over the years because for me, there's just too much stuff to look at.

To keep this question qualified as on-topic, I spose it's appropriate to also say if you hate it, love it, or it doesn't work at all on your setup. Or does.
This might interest you. Should be release soon.

Welcome to LA scoring strings

I love where he's going with this. In fact, that's pretty much how i would have done it if i were to do my own string library.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #62
GS Community Manager
 
Whitecat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 ➑️
I'm very intrigued by this thread.....

Can someone count how many new posters there are in this thread.....something is FISHY......

I think it may be a new gearslutz record.
Not fishy, they came over from the Soundsonline forum when Doug Rogers mentioned this thread there... so they're definitely successful users but I don't think it's anything more sinister than that.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
I came to GS before this thread was born, to find mastering houses (and did I find MANY! YAY! ) and was linked here by Doug in SOL.

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi to all the SOL member I've known for so long! hehe! (my registration goes waaaay back a few months, if not years... Nothing fishy here).

I don't own any PLAY products for a dual reason:

1. The initial releases said nothing to me. The 1st six titles were not interesting for me.
2. My computer is such an old computer, that would, honestly grow hands to give me the finger, had I tried PLAY on it (P4, 2.8 GHz! :D Go ahead laugh).

All those threads have given me a bit of thought about upgrading to PLAY the symphonic libraries, and choirs, and getting forbidden planet, once released, but I also have faith in EW: By the time I get the new computer, the PLAY engine will have had such an overhaul that it will be ok, with minimum bugs, etc.

Let's face it. PLAY is still young and it IS tough to get a new engine out. There's been successful releases, yes, but even those are kinda buggy... Nobody is perfect on first release and EW is putting a lot of effort in updating regularly (as far as I know, from SOL). In fact VERY regularly. Their moderation tends to get them into trouble, but you know what? For us members of 3-4-5 years in SOL, the flood (honestly) of new blood in SOL needed moderation. With all those rather recent sales of BOGOF (2-1 sale), plus 50%, plus I'll wash your car for a year, etc... (heh... missed those, so I'm grumpy to that), there were very many people coming to SOL. So... stricter moderation.

It does make sense...

SOL needs heavier moderation (being a COMPANY forum, rather than a free speak your mind forum). Moderation brings dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction brings voices to other forums. This brings Doug to linking and more members in GS...

Either way I'm back working on my lecture, thank you!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #64
GS Community Manager
 
Whitecat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas ➑️
SOL needs heavier moderation (being a COMPANY forum, rather than a free speak your mind forum). Moderation brings dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction brings voices to other forums. This brings Doug to linking and more members in GS...
Lighter moderation keeps the arguments in-house. When people get censored, they'll take their gripes elsewhere, and they'll take them with a vengeance. Better to have open discussion there and allow some "alternative thinking" (corrected as necessary with INFORMATION, not delete buttons) and let everyone blow off steam.

So I don't think SOL "needs" heavier moderation (and you yourself sort of contradict your own statement I've quoted there with what you say right after it...)

I think open dialogue is the way forward, and that's warts n' all. Will lead to a LOT less vitriol elsewhere.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hey mate,

Just keep in mind that my post is not 'supportive' of EW in any case. Nor I'm trying to excuse anything. At least that was not the intention. I'm attempting to bring reason to this whole deal 'against' EW (which is justified at an extent...)

Cheers
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I haven't seen this many first-time posters since the first day of GS.

So I want to say "welcome" to all the new recruits! You'll find this forum quite different than the EastWest forum from which you've been called for help.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #67
Gear Addict
 
kittyboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
What's BOGOF stand for?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Buy One Get One Free! Favourite promotion for many companies!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Nut
 
Doug Rogers's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I spent some of Friday and the entire day Saturday on this forum (including another topic in New Products starting at post#99). I answered the questions as best I could, and made an offer to help anyone that sent a PM, that number stood at 1 for 2 days and is now at 3, hardly an epidemic, wouldn't you agree?

Like most companies in the music industry, we are a bunch of dedicated people that make mistakes from time to time. Our attempt to get customers to connect directly with tech support nine months ago so we could get all system specs and work with them one on one (which we still believe is the most useful to them and the company) was a PR disaster, and you're seeing the remnants of it here. We quickly reversed course and have a support area at our forum again, even though some of the information given out by users makes matters worse for tech support.

We had some mods that were too heavy handed and I removed them, posts are not censored there anymore except when they include profanity, advertising, spam, or the discussion between users gets abusive and we get mail from other users to stop it. I'm not personally aware of one person that got banned there in the past 12 months, one of our forum members recalled one in the Gearslutz topic there, but I wasn't aware of that. We do have a first post must be approved by a moderator rule to prevent spam (as many forums do), and even though we explain that in the email to new forum members, that gives some new posters the impression their posts are censored. The reality is, if they are not spam, they get approved quickly and their posts after that are not moderated. It was necessary to do this as we were being attacked by spammers, planting advertisements everywhere, for Nokia phones, cheap hard drives, you name it.

We also do our best to offer superb tech support, we obviously need to do more work in that area and we will revisit the issue. We do have an "extensive" FAQ section at our support section that answers most questions users have asked us.

One thing is for sure though, the business we're in is tough, there are thousands of combinations of hardware and software users have, some of it quite old, and expecting all of it to work with our software, or any software for that matter, is not reasonable - and especially because some of the products Nick Phoenix and I create push computers harder than any other audio software on the market. To address that issue we released trial versions that work as full products for 10 days - we figured anyone that wasn't confident about their system could test it first.

However, we have our own forum that I'm very active on, and I believe I've spent quite a lot of time here and in the other topic helping where I could, and explaining our side of the story, and it will just get repetitive.

If you wish to contact me you can send a PM here, or go to soundsonline-forums.com.

Cheers,

- DR
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You know, Doug, I really do appreciate Jay calling me back this week, and also the attention you gave after I PM'd you. As I said in my message to you, he identified a number of things that are helpful. And I do believe Play 1.1.13 is a significant improvement over 1.1.6, and I'm looking forward to working with it in the future.

I created this thread out of frustration in dealing with your internal support system, and also not being able to post messages on your forum. I understand you may be upset that you didn't see the thread until after you and your team responded, but I didn't post here until I had already been seeking help through your channels for several weeks.

If that's cleared up (and I do believe you have and are addressing it), then I would say that the most important part of my grievances have been addressed. I sincerely thank you for taking them seriously.

I want Play/Pianos to work out for me, and because I have invested in it, I also want it to work out for others. I'm more than happy to lend my experiences with it and offer advice to others over on Soundsonline, as I have done with other software.

I also don't think it is suspicious or reflects badly on EW that a number of new users have joined GS specifically to relate their experience with EW. Their experiences and opinions are just as valid as mine, and are just as useful to anyone reading this thread.

I don't think that what has gone down here is anything other than human. In the end, maybe we'll all be better for it.

Old 1st February 2009
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I was about to drop a little over 1k on ew products a year ago and all the user complaints scared me and i decided against it
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Is that troublemaker "Shnurgle" still on the Soundsonline forums ??

heh
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #73
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart ➑️
I was about to drop a little over 1k on ew products a year ago and all the user complaints scared me and i decided against it
Hey Corky-your missin out on some great stuff! Y not try the demos?

al
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #74
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot In Mouth ➑️
Recent versions of PLAY are a huge improvement. Have you tried to upgrade?

So you admit there were problems before that then cuz it sounds like people are saying there was never a problem with Play? Or is there a rat just making this stuff up? I am confused.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
EastWest Trying to Go Out of Business?-dilbert_forums.jpg...just an interesting comic I saw - enjoy
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie777 ➑️
Attachment 108915...just an interesting comic I saw - enjoy
heh thumbsup
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
electricsound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
haha i was just coming here to post about that dilbert
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #78
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie777 ➑️
Attachment 108915...just an interesting comic I saw - enjoy
Nice find!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
The truth is EW doesn't need multiple IP to do this as they have a big fan base, and they use it. I was going to comment and suggest people to give EW a break but i really don't like it when they ask their fan club to go defend their product like that. I know you cant relly blame them to want to defend their biseness but that kind of behaviour just seems is wrong.

And i cant help but wonder why oh why didn't they wait an additional year and used their fan base to throughly test play before dropping it on the market? I just think this mess could have been avoided.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #80
Gear Addict
 
dsstudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hi Doug Rogers,
I have a few things to say...
I admit, recently updates did solved lots of problems...
But few months ago, it's not even usable...
I post many questions in your forum and get deleted all the time...
Then my account get banned (That's why you have 200.000+ members)
You must fire whoever with a nick "Admin" - that person is really did the damage...
He/she upset a lots of people including me...
Every year at NAMM, I always hang out at EW booth, but this year, I just walked away with a I feeling people in that booth are the same with "Admin"... no friendly and unreasonable!
Please do not delete post anymore, let people talk freely like other forums (Delete post or ban account is a nastiest thing in forums IMO) we are hanging here support to get help, for fun... etc, you delete post, it's the same as you tell people to "hey, shut up and get the hell out" - people like me who support EW (Yes, I have 4 Play products) - have a closer look in EW forum, most posts are kiss a** and never I can see a post with complain about Play (1 of my post get deleted easily when a new update release, I ask people who installed if they experience any problems) forum like that is no fun anymore ! Don't let me start with the support ticket! let users exchange their experience and maybe help each other... No competitor wants to harm you, trust me on that! Did you harm any competitor yourself? No? then relax... make a great products!
Regards
Sonny
God, I hope you are understand what I am trying to say to you!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
There is good offer from the owner of the company to personally help out folk at this forum with issues they may be having. (Find link in above threads)

Let's leave it at that and take a break from the repeated bashing.

Thanks.
I can't see any more bashing of East West products on this forum than, for example, Cubendo. NI, Logic et al are also fair game when their products and service don't come up to scratch so why not EW?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #82
Here for the gear
 
GORILLA's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #83
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 ➑️
I'm very intrigued by this thread.....

Can someone count how many new posters there are in this thread.....something is FISHY......

I think it may be a new gearslutz record.
Regardless of what got me to register at this site, I am always looking for different places to talk about gear and DAWS.

If the lot of us "first time posters" showed up and started insulting the older crowd, than I would not blame you for being concerned. But those of us who just joined have been pretty composed insofar as our posts go. And normally when I join a new music site, I am welcomed warmly by the existing fraternity, not met with suspicion and ulterior motives. Perhaps I made a mistake coming here since it feels like a club I am not welcome at.

Sorry to bother you fellas. I'll return to my lowly SOL, V.I. Control Index and NSS sites.

Kindly cancel my account

Dave

Last edited by davecos; 3rd February 2009 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: this site is not very friendly to new members
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #84
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecos ➑️
Perhaps I made a mistake coming here since it feels like a club I am not welcome at.
That's untrue - you're certainly welcomed to this forum. But don't lose sight of the larger picture.

The content of your post (and those like you) is hardly the point. The fact that you discovered this forum by following a link is hardly the point. The fact that one of the heads of the company recruited you for support by posting that link IS the point.

edit: it looks like you edited your post and added the part about canceling your account AFTER I posted my comment. I guess you weren't a good fit here after all. We tend to have thicker skin.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #85
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
That's untrue - you're certainly welcomed to this forum. But don't lose sight of the larger picture.

The content of your post (and those like you) is hardly the point. The fact that you discovered this forum by following a link is hardly the point. The fact that one of the heads of the company recruited you for support by posting that link IS the point.
There have been many times that I have discovered a forum via another member at another site. That's how one hears about these things. Again, I did not challenge the initial post nor did I write anything that would have smacked of favoritism towards East West- simply the equipment I am using and PLAY.

Like I said, I would rather not be subjected to an inquisition when I am new to a forum.

All the best,

Dave
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #86
Lives for gear
 
25ghosts's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecos ➑️
There have been many times that I have discovered a forum via another member at another site. That's how one hears about these things. Again, I did not challenge the initial post nor did I write anything that would have smacked of favoritism towards East West- simply the equipment I am using and PLAY.

Like I said, I would rather not be subjected to an inquisition when I am new to a forum.

All the best,

Dave
Come on, Dave... Dont base your decision on a few people's mood in a high profile and very emotional thread.

I never got no warm welcome swarm here. I did not need that neither. I like that you have to gain respect rather than being credited it before having earned it.

But anyway, welcome - I promise you that you wont regret coming here. Lots of action and great stories - nver no dull moment
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
That's untrue - you're certainly welcomed to this forum. But don't lose sight of the larger picture.

The content of your post (and those like you) is hardly the point. The fact that you discovered this forum by following a link is hardly the point. The fact that one of the heads of the company recruited you for support by posting that link IS the point.
+1 thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #88
Gear Maniac
 
jdvmi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Here is where I lost a lot of respect for EastWest. Below is an email I received as a beta tester for EW.

"Since I signed you up as a beta tester on 3/17/08 I have not received any test sheets for PLAY builds that have been released. This is a mandatory requirement for all beta testers. I also see that you have not submitted any bugs into our tracker. However I have noticed that you continue to post issues you encounter on our public forum. It is counter productive to post issues on the forum when you have access to report these issues directly into our bug tracker. As a beta tester it is your responsibility to submit bugs into the bug tracker, or contact me regarding the matter. Posting issues on the forum will only undermine the confidence of other forum users and will take longer to resolve than if submitted directly to QA. If you wish keep your status as a beta tester I will need a completed test sheet for the latest build of PLAY,1.0.069, asap. If you have any questions regarding the responsibilities of being a beta tester, or how to submit bugs in our tracker please do not hesitate to ask.

Best,
Nick C.
QA"


Keep in mind that the posts in their forum that Nick is referring to had nothing to do with the beta program. He was definitely coming after me because I was posting in the forums about my issues with the product that I purchased. My issues were not related to the beta.

After receiving this email I asked to be removed from their beta program and I lost all confidence in the company. The sad part is that I had already spent over $2,000 on my two sample libraries only to realize, as a first time customer, this was a company that didn't respect me the customer.

I do still watch EW news and download updates because of my $2,000 "investment" that I can't ever sell. I honestly hope the company does well because it will help me get the most out of my investment.

In terms of stability, PLAY is getting much much better by the day. I'm running on a quad core with 8 GB ram in 64 bit and it works pretty well with only a few small hiccups here and there. At some point I will probably pay the $199 to upgrade my EWQL Orchestra to the latest Play version. I have been holding back because I lost respect for the company when I received the email above and my forum posts were being removed.

P.S. Doug, the reason I don't use my real name, Jim Martin, is because most people already have my name as their account by the time I register on a forum.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #89
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Jim - Nick's complaints have merit as far as I can tell. As a beta tester, you have to submit your feedback - that's part of the deal. Maybe he took your posts on their forum and blew that situation out of proportion, and maybe it was entirely unrelated to the software you were testing, but his other gripes were legit, no?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #90
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecos ➑️
There have been many times that I have discovered a forum via another member at another site. That's how one hears about these things. Again, I did not challenge the initial post nor did I write anything that would have smacked of favoritism towards East West- simply the equipment I am using and PLAY.

Like I said, I would rather not be subjected to an inquisition when I am new to a forum.

All the best,

Dave
Yes I couldnt agree more.

Closed

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 6 views: 3830
Avatar for Blazinghammer
Blazinghammer 28th July 2005
replies: 1027 views: 128373
Avatar for GeneHall
GeneHall 11th June 2021
replies: 360 views: 70139
Avatar for toowrongfoo
toowrongfoo 30th November 2017
replies: 1131 views: 142900
Avatar for Mastemoth
Mastemoth 2 days ago

Forum Jump
Forum Jump