Quantcast
New Computer what to get and why? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Computer what to get and why?
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Post New Computer what to get and why?

I'm in the process of building a home studio, have a tiny bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. I work on pro-tools and prefer mac, it's so stable and I have never had a single compatability issue. I'm probably going to go for a power mac, Not 100% on what the most important pieces are going to be though. I'm thinking 8core 2.8 processor and deciding how much ram to get, along with all the other various specs. Any advise from people would be appreciated.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Although I don't run Protools (Digital Performer) I did recently buy a new mac pro. Go with the 8 core.The 2.8 processors are the best deal as far as cost vs. horsepower is concerned. I went with 16gb of memory because I load vi's into ram first. For me it is a balancing act between ram and streaming from disk - trying to avoid a bottleneck. I also have and recommend the standard system drive and then adding a few other drives if you can afford them. I went with an additional three velociraptors and the computer has yet to break a sweat. It may be extreme for your needs, but I highly recommend a velociraptor as your audio drive. No heat problems at all. They are about $300 and money well spent.
Good luck!
Lou
📝 Reply