Best Daw Controllers for synth/mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Daw Controllers for synth/mix
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best Daw Controllers for synth/mix

Yeah I am looking for DAW controllers.

First one is to use to my Midi synth to controll software synths.
I need many knobs and controls, so I could morph that sounds in as many ways as possible. This DAW controller will be my main-interface when I record music. I will only use the mouse for mastering and audioprocessing after the music is finished.

I know behringer have two models which is quite cheap, but I want to see if there is anything better which is more directly made for synth.

I also want an DAW controller to control the DAW mixer, this will also be an important element in my music, since I record and mix everything in real-time.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What DAW are you using?

Some people rave about the Novation stuff with the Automap feature. I haven't tried it though.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff ➡️
What DAW are you using?

Some people rave about the Novation stuff with the Automap feature. I haven't tried it though.
I am currently using Sonar.

These is some of the alternatives I have seen so far

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Immersion, the last one/pic you posted seem really nice because it's compact and has all kinds of controller. But i didn't go for it because i though the faders looked too small, i wonder if that's the case? Anyone use this device?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra ➡️
Immersion, the last one/pic you posted seem really nice because it's compact and has all kinds of controller. But i didn't go for it because i though the faders looked too small, i wonder if that's the case? Anyone use this device?
Yeah, the sliders look little bit too small yes..

The U-Control definitely looks most price worthy.
But I am not sure if I feel the knobs will be too small.
The Behringer is bigger, I bet it will be easier to locate the knobs in real-time.
Or maybe they are big enough... hard to say... I like the fact that each knob is named, I can't see that on the Behringer...
It probably help a lot to keep track of it's function.

http://www.maudio.co.uk/images/globa...ics/uc-33e.jpg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For vst control, the behringer units are still the best imo.

For mixing, maybe I'm starting to sound like a scratched record, but you guys really need to check this out:

Quote:
The new V2 operating system has been optimized and improved way beyond our own expectations". The 328’s dynamic Automation is now implemented using MIDI Continuous Controllers, allowing users to record, overdub, and complete complex editing tasks using any MIDI Sequencing package.

In MIDI Controller mode, all 16 faders, 16 encoders and 32 switches can be used to drive external devices, each control individually assignable to its own MIDI Channel and Continuous Controller. Another significant change is that communication in MIDI Controller mode is now bi-directional. All data dumps can be requested via SysEx to allow third-party applications to act as librarians.
Or you can use it as a fully fledged digital desk with complete scene recall and dynamic automation over midi, as well as having the midi control functionality on a seperate layer.
Best kept controller secret in my book.
Even if you don't use it as a desk you can still use the onboard Lexicon effects and dbx dynamics processors as extra outboard.
Go for between $600-$900 used in mint condition.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
For vst control, the behringer units are still the best imo.

For mixing, maybe I'm starting to sound like a scratched record, but you guys really need to check this out:

Or you can use it as a fully fledged digital desk with complete scene recall and dynamic automation over midi, as well as having the midi control functionality on a seperate layer.
Best kept controller secret in my book.
Even if you don't use it as a desk you can still use the onboard Lexicon effects and dbx dynamics processors as extra outboard.
Go for between $600-$900 used in mint condition.
It looks really nice man!
But I got no real need for audio inputs, so I do not want to pay extra for that. Otherwise it looks really nice...Will still see if I can find it and the price here in EU. What is the exact model name ???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That Spirit Digital board look really nice. I whish i had heard about it back then...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Immersion, it may look overkill, but even if you don't need the console features, it still comes out as being priced better and with better midi control features than the other devices on offer on the market.

I started looking for controllers, then found this, and just saw the potential straight away.
It's a Soundcraft Spirit 328. I'm in the EU too, I picked mine up for £440 which is just an absurd price, but I got lucky. Keep an eye out for them in the Reader ads section of the soundonsound website, there is one 328 and one 328XD on there at the moment, going for just over £500 and just over £600 repectively. Expect to pay £70 for insured shipping to continental europe (again I got lucky here and the seller covered half the shipping cost for me - I must have been a good boy last year!).

Even if you don't use the preamps, it has 16 channels of adat input and 24 channels of adat output as well as s/pdif, so if you have any adat ports on your audio interface you can route to its effects without fuss.

If you do that, then you have the midi control layer and can use the adat input control layer too, just leave your daw faders at unity for those 16 channels.
Each layer has the 16 faders, the rotaries for pan (or whatever you assign them to), plus solo and mute switches for each channel (or whatever you assign them to).
The midi layer won't make use of the eq though obviously.

There are 2 dynamics processors on it which are excellent that were developed by Orban, and you can configure them as either 4 mono procs, 2 stereo or anything in between, and there are 2 stereo Lexicon processors onboard as well which sound really good.
It has 4 aux sends that you can use for routing to outboard, the other 2 auxes send to the lexicon procs, but you can choose to have the aux sends transmit via adat so you can send digitally straight in to fx channels in the daw instead, if you want.
The eq is analogue modelled and sounds excellent, it's 3 band parametric with the low and high bands switchable between shelf and peak, so you get a lot of really useful mix stuff in there included in the price.

It's killer. There just isn't anything that comes close to it for the price. And you can cascade two of them. I'm going to get a second one, it has made life so much easier.

The photos on the web don't do it justice either, it is extremely well built and solid with a steel surface, really nice feeling 100mm faders (motorised, quiet). I would recommend it to anyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
Immersion, it may look overkill, but even if you don't need the console features, it still comes out as being priced better and with better midi control features than the other devices on offer on the market.

I started looking for controllers, then found this, and just saw the potential straight away.
It's a Soundcraft Spirit 328. I'm in the EU too, I picked mine up for £440 which is just an absurd price, but I got lucky. Keep an eye out for them in the Reader ads section of the soundonsound website, there is one 328 and one 328XD on there at the moment, going for just over £500 and just over £600 repectively. Expect to pay £70 for insured shipping to continental europe (again I got lucky here and the seller covered half the shipping cost for me - I must have been a good boy last year!).

Even if you don't use the preamps, it has 16 channels of adat input and 24 channels of adat output as well as s/pdif, so if you have any adat ports on your audio interface you can route to its effects without fuss.

If you do that, then you have the midi control layer and can use the adat input control layer too, just leave your daw faders at unity for those 16 channels.
Each layer has the 16 faders, the rotaries for pan (or whatever you assign them to), plus solo and mute switches for each channel (or whatever you assign them to).
The midi layer won't make use of the eq though obviously.

There are 2 dynamics processors on it which are excellent that were developed by Orban, and you can configure them as either 4 mono procs, 2 stereo or anything in between, and there are 2 stereo Lexicon processors onboard as well which sound really good.
It has 4 aux sends that you can use for routing to outboard, the other 2 auxes send to the lexicon procs, but you can choose to have the aux sends transmit via adat so you can send digitally straight in to fx channels in the daw instead, if you want.
The eq is analogue modelled and sounds excellent, it's 3 band parametric with the low and high bands switchable between shelf and peak, so you get a lot of really useful mix stuff in there included in the price.

It's killer. There just isn't anything that comes close to it for the price. And you can cascade two of them. I'm going to get a second one, it has made life so much easier.

The photos on the web don't do it justice either, it is extremely well built and solid with a steel surface, really nice feeling 100mm faders (motorised, quiet). I would recommend it to anyone.
Yeah, it all sounds good. But since it is discontinued I assume it will be hard to find it for sale here in Scandinavia.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I live in Copenhagen. Like I said, just check the soundonsound reader ads, that's where I got mine. In fact, there is one right there now, it's the first entry on the list:

Readers Ads - Mixers

Going for £500 and it'll be £70 for insured shipping.

That's 4.700DKK all in. The kroner is so strong against the pound right now that it is the best time to buy, a year ago it would have been 6.500DKK.

Grab it! (Even in the US they are still paying about 900 bucks for these second hand!).

I also bought a second hand RME hdsp 9652 at the same time, also from soundonsound, and got that for £120 including shipping (just under 1.000DKK), they cost 3.700DKK new!
There are some insane bargains to be had if you're in Denmark or Sweden and buying from the UK right now, even with the shipping.
Old 24th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bump.

I'm looking for a nice board also, and I joined Gearslutz just to ask this question...

Exactly which Soundcraft 328 did FeatheredSerpent mean? I've found a couple of different models.

Cheers,
T.
📝 Reply