Quantcast
Is 8 GB RAM overkill for a MacBook Pro running Ableton? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is 8 GB RAM overkill for a MacBook Pro running Ableton?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is 8 GB RAM overkill for a MacBook Pro running Ableton?

I'm going to buy the new 17" Macbook Pro shortly and just deciding on the config. Question is do you think 8GB will make a difference when running Ableton Live with Omnisphere, Kontakt, Massive and Fabfilter plugins. Can it even access more than 4GB?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There's a helpful forum post or two related to this question on logicprohelp.com.

Look up the threads 'memmory hell' and 'plouge bidule'.
essentially since logic, or ableton, is 32 bit (not sure if ableton is but...) it can only deal internally with 4 gig of ram, which apparently you know. Plouge bidule is modular software that can work with its own 4 gigs of ram outside of logic or ableton, and plug the plug-ins you load into it right into your daw.

Check it out.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Memory limit in Leopard is 4gb per application. So yes, it is overkill.

And depending on your MBP model, it very, very likely does not support more than 4gb.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He said that he's going to get the new 17" MBP, which officially supports 8 GB.

It really depends on if you'll be running other things standalone outside of Live. Since it comes with 4 GB I would get it with that and upgrade to 8 GB later on if you think you'll need it once you get a chance to use it for a little while.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4 gb of ram is so much. 8 GB is definitely overkill unless you are planning on doing something involving video. With ableton you would actually be fine with 1 or 2 gb, 4 gb is plenty.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4GB would be optimum with Live on Leopard.
utilize loading clips into RAM as much as you can, this will ease the load on the hard disk and this can sometimes lead to the ability to work at lower latencies.

If you are looking at running other software at the same time... 8GB would be a consideration. But that should be tempered with what the real cost:gain would be.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I haven't had a session eat up 3gb.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie ➑️
I'm going to buy the new 17" Macbook Pro shortly and just deciding on the config. Question is do you think 8GB will make a difference when running Ableton Live with Omnisphere, Kontakt, Massive and Fabfilter plugins. Can it even access more than 4GB?
The more RAM the better. Especially if you consider the Plugs one year from now. You MBP 17" will last a good three years on the peak and stay the best lap top until Apple releases theri next 17" in a3 years. Mine, from 2006 has latest and still lasts....

Get the 8 gig and quit worrying heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
4 GB will be plenty
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i wouldnt get 8GB now. the os doesnt support it yet.
in the apple store you have to pay additional 900euro when you want 8 inspite of 4.
when you really NEED 8GB in maybe 2-3 years you will pay 200euros or less for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➑️
i wouldnt get 8GB now. the os doesnt support it yet.
The OS supports it perfectly - just any one process can't have more than 4GB. So unless you're rewiring Ableton it's pretty pointless.

My view is 8GB is a complete overkill and you are unlikely to touch the sides with 4GB.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
all right.

i just ask myself how man zillion sample libraries would you have to load into a session now to need so much memory....
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Get least amount of ram with the purchase and order from these guys later if and when your system starts choking.
Item Info at OtherWorldComputing.com
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with 4GB and buy more later if i need it.
πŸ“ Reply