Quantcast
UAD 88RS A/B against the real deal? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD 88RS A/B against the real deal?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
UAD 88RS A/B against the real deal?

I know there is much talking about 88RS vs. Waves SSL4000 and against other uad eq's and compressors and so on.

What I am wondering is if anyone had done something similar to what Digidesign did with the "mixing in the box" web page. Where they did whole mixes with the waves SSL4000 and the actual desk. Are there any direct A/B comparisons out there? Just how close is it?

Also please refrain from the software will never replace hardware comments we have all had enough of that conversation I hope
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You might want to check this thread:

The Neve UAD Challenge!

Try to guess which is which before reading the answers.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➡️

The Neve UAD Challenge!

Thanks I will check that out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's a little pointless to do the A/B test. The 88RS is a large format console and you're putting it up against the plugin. If the test proved that hardware is better, would you not use UAD 88RS? If the test proved plugin is better, does it mean the hardware is ready to go to the junkyard?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good point....

Except why bother making/emulating or even calling a plugin a name related to specific hardware?

La2a

etc....

Of course people will be curious as to how close if at all they have got the plugins to sound...

Stands to reason really.

Ya know....

Zz.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
UA already did these tests while they were developing the plugins, like they do for every emulation. Neve had to sign off on it too, so they obviously approved of them all.

Of course, people will say that's just marketing, but UA is very much into making quality products, and all of their emulations so far have received rave reviews from just about everyone who has the hardware and and who have done their own comparisons.

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigcat ➡️
I think it's a little pointless to do the A/B test. The 88RS is a large format console and you're putting it up against the plugin. If the test proved that hardware is better, would you not use UAD 88RS? If the test proved plugin is better, does it mean the hardware is ready to go to the junkyard?
Yes totally pointless. I had no reason for posting at all. Glad you took the time to let me know just in case I was unsure that I am indeed wasting my time. I am glad that I also provided you with the opportunity to waste your time as well. If you will excuse me now I have to go and waste my time listening to the pointless audio samples that another person wasted there time making and sharing with us other people that love to waste there time and reflect on how people just simply cant refrain telling me again and again and again over and over and over repeatedly until my ears are bleeding with boredom, That hardware is simply better than software even when I ask them politely by saying "Also please refrain from the software will never replace hardware comments we have all had enough of that conversation I hope ".

Thanks for sharing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
Of course, people will say that's just marketing, but UA is very much into making quality products, and all of their emulations so far have received rave reviews from just about everyone who has the hardware and and who have done their own comparisons.

I am a new owner of them and like them very much. It is just a curiosity.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oops. It's an UAD thread. I dare not make anymore comments from now on.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The UAD 88RS does not model the input saturation that can occur on an 88R

Im sure the eq and dynamics are damm close to the console though but it is still only a part of the equation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom ➡️

Im sure the eq and dynamics are damm close to the console though but it is still only a part of the equation.
Input saturation from the preamps? Does the 88RS have preamps? Or do you mean something else?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's all good, I by no means am another blind uad fanboy. I know there are many. Some of the stuff is not the best that is out there. But that is another topic all together.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It would have been cool if they had done that for sure. It most likely would have added quite abit of CPU load. But having a switch to enable and disable it even would have gotten around that. Do any dynamic plugins from UAD do that? I know that the Neve Buss compressor emulates the harmonic distortions but that is the only one that I can think of off the top of my head.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The Neve UAD Challenge!

Oh dam I was a little excited there but I had already seen this thread. I am suprised that UAD would not have done something themselves.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Input saturation from the preamps? Does the 88RS have preamps? Or do you mean something else?

Of course it has Mic pres and Line inputs its a mxing console
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course it has Mic pres and Line inputs its a mxing console
Line inputs for sure, but I don't think it has its own preamps. Optionally you can choose remote mic pre-amps, but they're not in the console I think.

Preamps are mainly for recording, and as you said, it's a mixing console.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Line inputs for sure, but I don't think it has its own preamps. Optionally you can choose remote mic pre-amps, but they're not in the console I think.

Yes you are right the Mic Pres are a remote device
Im sure the line inputs are transformer balanced.

A friend of mine has just bought the 88R channel strip so maybe I can talk him into letting me borrow it for a comparison with the UAD plug.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That would be cool!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yes that would be cool indeed
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I will see what I can do my mate is a bit tied up at the minute as his other half is about to have a baby.Im sure he will be up for a shoot out when things settle down for him.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool. Perhaps we can do a blind test by then, with equal settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you see this blind test? It's not the Neve plugins, but still...

Universal Audio Webzine | UA Universe

GRAMMY® Tech Event Listens Blind to UAD Versus Hardware, Other Plug-Ins
Eric Schilling runs the console at the GRAMMY® Tech blind shoot-out.

The Miami chapter of the NARAS Producers and Engineers Wing met for a special GRAMMY® Tech event, at which they ran blind comparisons of UAD powered plug-ins with associated hardware and Bomb Factory plug-ins. Twenty-five members were in attendance for the tests. Eric Schilling, the NARAS member in charge of the event had this to say: “Overall, I would say your stuff rated very well with the group. We concentrated on the items we had hardware companions for: LA-3A, LA-2A, 1176 (silver), Pultec EQP-1A, and Fairchild 670.

“We compared everything as a blind test, so the group did not know which plug-ins where which. So, as an example, we compared your LA-3A plug-in to my LA-3A and to the Bomb Factory LA-3A. In most cases, it was a toss up between your hardware and your software. The Bomb Factory stuff was pretty awful in comparison. All in al I think the group walked away being very impressed by the UAD powered plug-ins.”
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The UA 1176 emu isn't a silver face right? The one with the silver GUI IIRC is a custom "lite DSP" tweak of the black one (not a silver face model).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Cool. Perhaps we can do a blind test by then, with equal settings.
For sure
Any suggestions on setting it up so I can get them to Null
Im on a Mac running Cubase
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For sure
Any suggestions on setting it up so I can get them to Mull
Im on a Mac running Cubase
Perhaps we can use three sources, for instance a vocal track, acoustic guitar track and a drum bus track (or anything different if people want it). Then we can process these tracks with the 8801 and the UAD at similar settings. I guess it's best to do seperate EQ and compression processing. So, we'd have three files for all three sources after EQing (dry, 8801 and UAD), plus six more after compressing (8801 and UAD, times three for the three different sources). I think we should do blind listening tests between the 8801 and the UAD for EQ and compression seperately, because I expect the dry version to be easy to recognize. Plus, I think it's best to slam the compressors pretty hard, because then, I expect that differences (if any) will be easier to hear.

I'm not all that experienced with setting up these tests but I think that the above method should be at least a decent approach. But input from more experienced users is very appreciated ofcourse!

If the 8801 is as similar to the 88RS as Neve claims, we should basically be able to generalize the differences (if any) after the test to the differences between the 88RS and the UAD as well.

Looking forward to it!

And thanks for that info Macaroni.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the "shootouts" forum will have tips as well. Norman Nomad is pretty thorough about that stuff.
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

i work on a 88rs regularly and there are mic and line pre amps in the console.
i think you can choose remote pre amps additionally, not 100% sure on this but the console i mean came already with mic pre amps.

never ordered one myself but i think there are different order options like scoring panel etc.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
thats good cos you will need them for the Waves threads...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I will see what I can do my mate is a bit tied up at the minute as his other half is about to have a baby.Im sure he will be up for a shoot out when things settle down for him.
thats a bit selfish having a baby when we are expecting hardware vs plugin shoot-outs...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assistant ➡️
i work on a 88rs regularly and there are mic and line pre amps in the console.
i think you can choose remote pre amps additionally, not 100% sure on this but the console i mean came already with mic pre amps.

never ordered one myself but i think there are different order options like scoring panel etc.
Good to know thanks heh
📝 Reply