Quantcast
Computer Problem! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer Problem!
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Computer Problem!

I just wanted anyones and everyones experience with such problems in general.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz machine with ASUS P5K - Deluxe/Wi-fi AP Motherboard, Corsair Value Select 667 Mhz 8 GB RAM, 500 Watt Cooler Master Power Supply and 5 Hard Drives on SATA controllers, with one DVD Writer.

Now - since the past 3-4 months - I started having this weird problem. I started getting CheckSum bad errors. Machine is around 11 months old. First 6 months were fine. Later I started having these Check sum bad errors on start up. I would press F2 - change date and continue. I thought, just a small error.

Then, weird thing started happening. Every time I push the power button - The Machine would keep restarting even before it reaches the BIOS load process. Basically - fans would spin for 2 seconds - then stop for 1 second - then spin for 2 seconds - then stop and so on and so forth - I cleared CMOS - replaced battery - everything. But this was just random.

I tried another set of RAM sticks - unplugged my drives one at a time - Changed Power Supply - Same problem.

Then finally - I tried to update the BIOS one day - and it failed. Then the machine would not start - it would just keep restarting as mentioned above. So I sent the motherboard to ASUS. They said - its working fine over there now - the fixed it or something. It comes back - works fine for 2 starts - then again next day - the same thing starts happening.

Now I am getting a new replacement board from them - P5K Premium.

Here is my question:

Could this be a VIRUS? Is it possible - there is some BIOS corrupting Virus in my hard drives - that destroys the BIOS chip or something like that?

I am worried - that I will put the new motherboard - and it will just suffer the same fate.

However - even with this problem - when the machine was working - I have done full projects with 6 GB Loaded and lots of intense work. So I dont know if it really is a virus.

I just want to clarify this issue. I dont think it can be anything else other than a bad motherboard.

Now here is the TRICKY PART:

I have an indentical set up - with the SAME P5K - Deluxe motherboard: THAT IS ALSO DOING THE SAME THING AND IS NOW DEAD!!!! Apparently, the power supply on that one is also not working!!! My work is HEAVILY suffering....please help!

Any ideas????????

I just want to rule out Virus. I have Nord 32 installed - fully updated.

Thanks.

Best,
Tanuj.
Old 28th January 2009
hei man.

I have a P5k E-plus here without problems since 2 years.

no, it is not a virus.

some things come to my mind:
is there a problem with your voltage (electric power)? can you measure it? normally Computer PSUs can handle 90 Volts to 240 volts.. more or less, then gone.

2. keyboard, mouse, outboard
what have you connected? you say, that you have an identical machine and it does the same. do you have the same set of keyboard mouse PCI outboard connected to it?

3. graphics card
do you have the same graphics card on both machines? that might cause the problem, because of chipset incompatibilty.

4. overclocking/CPU speed
check if everything is ok. you can control in your bios if the voltage, temperature of your CPU is ok or not. maybe report what is written there.

I would measure the electric voltage at your place first...
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrato ➡️
I500 Watt Cooler Master Power Supply......weird thing started happening. Every time I push the power button - The Machine would keep restarting even before it reaches the BIOS load process. Basically - fans would spin for 2 seconds - then stop for 1 second - then spin for 2 seconds - then stop and so on and so forth - I cleared CMOS - replaced battery - everything. But this was just random.

I tried another set of RAM sticks - unplugged my drives one at a time - Changed Power Supply - Same problem.
Changed PSU to what?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile ASUS system

Hi vibrato !

This doesn't sound like a virus at all. Your problem seems to be most likely power related. I had several ASUS boards acting similarly in the past. The issue was faulty capacitors related.You could see them swell over a time. ASUS was aware of the issue and they replace the capacitors for free, later on completely replaced the motherboards with newer model.
Your symptoms could also point to failing voltage control on the motherboard. There is a voltage sensor that shuts the system down immediately if the current gets out of limits to prevent damage to a system and prevent fire hazard.

1. First of all I'd try a different Power supply connected to a power backup unit, to rule out failing PSU or Power grid related issue.

2.remove all unnecessary hardware from your system, all PCI cards, all RAM modules except one in 01 slot. Disconnect USB and Firewire devices and the extension port brackets from the motherboard. Disconnect all PATA devices from both IDE channels.
You should be left with : Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video adapter (unless there is one onboard), two power cables connecetd ( 24 and 4 pin) One HDD containing your OS.

You said you have a similar setup that died, well, try to swap memory, video adapter PSU and CPU to pinpoint the issue.

That's it ! If this won't work with a new PSU you are looking at the MOBO, or CPU.

Good luck.

Have a great day !
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds like a voltage-prob to me too. what´s your graphics-card? a 500W psu can lack power with 5 drives, 8Gig of ram and a fast graphics-card.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…