Quantcast
Moving folders around in Windows XP - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving folders around in Windows XP
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Moving folders around in Windows XP

Is it possible to move a folder to another folder without physically copying and pasting the folder. I want to move some samples from one hard drive to another hard drive but i dont want to copy and paste because there is some loss in quality during that transition, so i was wondering if there is something I can type in the folders properties to change its location, or is this only possible if its within the same hard drive?
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I find it easiest just to right-click and drag the file or group of files to the destination I want. When you right-click and drag, you'll get a pop up 'context' menu that will let you decide to either copy or move the file. (If you do a regular click-and-drag on the same hard drive the file is moved. If you click-and-drag to a different hard drive, the file is copied.)

I'm not at all sure I understand what you mean by lowering quality when copy-and-pasting the file to move it. If you make a copy of a file in Windows, that file is checksummed to test for copy errors. It's extremely reliable. Say what you will about MS, but Windows can copy and move files like nobody's business. heh
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosWhenTwisted ➑️
but i dont want to copy and paste because there is some loss in quality during that transition

Quote:
, so i was wondering if there is something I can type in the folders properties to change its location, or is this only possible if its within the same hard drive?
When moving files on the same hard drive nothing gets moved, there is only a change in you File Allocation Table (fat) that says files xxxx are no longer in folder yyy but in folder zzzz.

Drag & drop while holding shift moves files, drag & drop while holding ctrl copies files.

Herwig
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i dont want to copy and paste because there is some loss in quality during that transition

L O L
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Taco`s loose quality too when they get twisted, they are still good enough to snatch tho..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas ➑️
Taco`s loose quality too when they get twisted, they are still good enough to snatch tho..
I've always thought they needed taco trucks on the Damrak in your hometown, Jovas... kroketts in the automat is ok (and I wouldn't mind one, now, actually) but there's just something about two or three hot little tacos when twisted...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filin ➑️
L O L
+1

And to the OP - just if he don't understand what everybody is laughing about: There is definately no loss in quality when copying.

This is no VCR tape deck. It's plain data, which windows needs to be able to move around. It always does exactly that while your computer is turn ON. All the time. No worries!

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I've always thought they needed taco trucks on the Damrak in your hometown, Jovas... kroketts in the automat is ok (and I wouldn't mind one, now, actually) but there's just something about two or three hot little tacos when twisted...
lol yeah, we have some taco places, but no trucks haha. They would be too easy to hijack, they should put topics like this in automatic lockers, when you try hard enough you get the topic lol :D

No seriously, maybe technically there will be some digital stuff changes going on when copying, but i have never heard of quality loss..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Smartasses. If you copy a picture from one folder to another repeatedly, you can see artifacts and loss of quality between the original version and the version that has been copied over n over. You just have to have a good eye to see it . Or a good ear to hear the loss in quality when copying files from one folder to another.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Smartasses. If you copy a picture from one folder to another repeatedly, you can see artifacts and loss of quality between the original version and the version that has been copied over n over. You just have to have a good eye to see it . Or a good ear to hear the loss in quality when copying files from one folder to another.
Yeah right......
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Wow. You're serious.

Do this for a living, do you?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

Hi Guys !
Let's take it easy...

Taco, just so we all understand how are digital files stored. They are basically just 1 and 0 (Ones and Zeros) with exact location algorithm. If you copy a digital file it will either copy correctly or not and then the system will inform you about data corruption. Only way of getting corrupted images and files is when your RAM is failing, there is a physical connection problem or your media you are writing to (HDD) is malfunctioning. Of course there is cache and other access media that can affect the transfer of a digital file. That's why AD/DA conversion is so important because that's the only way of altering the file itself. I work with RAW image files and all kinds of audio formats and I can assure you that after 1000 copies the file must be exactly the same if there is no corruption along the way.
So basically , if you are experiencing a loss of quality or artifacts then your workstation has almost certainly a hardware related problem ! Then you'd probably experience all kinds of instability during regular use of your system as well. So you might want to check into that.

Have a great day !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Walters?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It's the "ear good enough to hear it" part that gets me.

I betcha there is no convincing Tacos that copying digital files is lossless. Reminds me of a conspiracy theory friend I have.

We'll see.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
IΒ΄d recommend analog recording, maybe even optical to avoid tape...

Matti
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=TacosWhenTwisted;3856412]I want to move some samples from one hard drive to another hard drive but i dont want to copy and paste because there is some loss in quality during that transition/QUOTE]

No, this is wrong. There is no loss in quality when copying a file to another hard drive.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I want to move some samples from one hard drive to another hard drive but i dont want to copy and paste because there is some loss in quality during that transition/QUOTE]

No, this is wrong. There is no loss in quality when copying a file to another hard drive.
I find some of the vintage drives give the file a warmer sound after copying and pasting them.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you copy a picture from one folder to another repeatedly, you can see artifacts and loss of quality between the original version and the version that has been copied over n over.
Copying files never involves any re-encoding or re-compression. That might be what you are thinking of...possibly?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
It's not Walters but I begin to suspect the end result of trying to 'straighten out' TWT will be similar to one of those endlessly spiraling downward 'dialogs' with Walters.

My suggestion to TacosWhenTwisted: go analog, young man.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Do the test yourself!

Take an audio file. Copy it 5 times (make copies of the copies).

Now put the original file on one track in your DAW, the copied file on another. They MUST be exactly time aligned!

Reverse phase on one of those two. Make sure both are at unity gain.

Hit play! You'll hear.....

Nothing!

Do you know what that shows?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I dont get why you guys are making such a big deal of this lol.

There is definately a loss in quality when copying a file from one place to another place.

Here is a test you can run. Take an MP3. Drag the MP3 around from folder to folder and hard drive to hard drive, do it like 10 times. And then turn both the original untouched version of the source MP3, and the MP3 you dragged around into .wav file and view them closely within a .wav editor and let me know what you see. Pictures are the same, if copied and duplicated and moved around in folders they loose some of their image quality. No im not going to sit here debate this with some of you tech nerds, this just my observation from using a computer for the past 10+ years. But I guess you learned something new today from a non techy =)
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Well, I guess you told us!

As to your original question, no you can't.

Uh, just have to ask, say you had five mp3s, one had been pasted/copied five times, do you suppose that you could pick that file from a group of mp3s if it were mixed with files that hadn't been moved?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Converting to mp3 and back is the problem with you test, there come the differences...
Just copy a wav around freely and then look it at the sample level.

Matti
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI ➑️
Converting to mp3 and back is the problem with you test, there come the differences...
Just copy a wav around freely and then look it at the sample level.

Matti
Not if your turning both mp3's to wavs. Dont convert em back to mp3's...just look at them as .wavs and compare them closely.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Converting a mp3 to wav is the problem, it wonΒ΄t be the same twice.
To test your thing donΒ΄t convert anything, just copy or move.

Matti
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bake the hard drive and try it again. or just use a mac.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
f*ck it! This is the worst BS I ever seen on GS.

Do the NULL test. Should even work with your crappy - copied 10+ times - MP3s.

When you copy a word document 10+ times, are there letters missing?

think about that!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had a look at your original question again. I think you misunderstood alot during your 10+ years experience with computers.

Do you really know what a hard drive is? If yes, how could you EVER imagine to move data from one physical medium to another, without actually moving the data???

Do you think windows (or any other OS) treats media files differently than let's say .exe files, when doing basic filesystem operations?

You know, that every file is only (and REALLY is, no joke) a very large string of 1s and 0s.

Each and every 1 and 0 is called 1 Bit. 8 Bits make a Byte. 1024 Bytes make KiloByte. 1024 KiloBytes make a MegaByte. And so on.

When Windows copies files, it basically copies one BIT after another.

Windows does not care if the file is audio, video or picture. It's only 1s and 0s, which will get copied in order and without mistake.

Windows copies .exe files and system data around ALL THE TIME. If it made mistakes regularily, Your system would crash 5 minutes after installation.

So why, and please tell us, should windows treat media files differently and make mistakes on purpose?

Remember is only 1s and 0s.

Cheers!
πŸ“ Reply