Moving folders around in Windows XP - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving folders around in Windows XP
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman ➡️
Yes that is correct. Bit depth and sample rate are 2 important pieces of data saved in the header. As far as I know though you could use any audio app with the ability to record to record a wav (Pro Daw or not) and it should still save header info. It would most likely use a default that the OS assigns to it however. Not entirely sure though.

From what I understand though there is reserved space in headers that usually arent used for anything except filling in the blanks so to speak. That was the particular portion of the header I was referring to. Nothing significant like the bit depth or sample rate portion of the header would be affected.
The OS does not set any bits in the WAV file. The OS, as a matter of fact, is pretty stupid when it comes to file content. Some OSes, like Linux or MacOS, will read the first bits of a file to determine the file type (like prgram vs. Office file vs. audio file vs. Web Page) in order to determine which application may be associated with the file (Windows does similar things by the endings of the file name).

Other than that, the OS does not care for the file contents, nor does it know which bits are irrelevant, nor will it overwrite anything in a file, unless a program (like an audio editor) tells it to.

This is different with applications. A program that cannot read a WAV header will not be able to play it back. A program that cannot read the HTML header can not be a web browser, etc. A recording program can either create a complete WAV header, or the resulting file will not be a WAV file and thus cannot be played back as one by a different program.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermusik ➡️
theblue1: you are just another crappy part of analog gear, man! So am I.

TacosWhenTwisted: Welcome back!

<serious computer nerd mode>
Actually copying increases (or better, preserves) the quality of the files, but not in an audible way. The copy (but you will have to make sure you really make a physical copy) will cause the magnetism of the part of the disk where the copy is stored refreshed, while magnetism degrades over the years in those sectors that never get overwritten. So if you want to preserve your most precious files, copy them every once a while.
</serious computer nerd mode>

What degrades the quality is the playback of the files. I am currently running a test here. But I have to reboot every time I listen in order to make sure the file is read from the disk each time and not cached by the operating system, which will prevent reading the disk each time. So it will take a while until I come up with a file that is audibly degraded. Anyway, this will be a result of repeated playback, not of copying.

Stay tuned, guyz!
Just so folks are clear, here, I think what waltermusik means is that repeated playback creates a condition where repeated passes by the drive's read head might slowly degrade the strength of the magnetic charge in that section of the disk [because of a presumed build-up of residual magnetism in the head], which could, in time, increase whatever likelihood there might be of eventual corruption.

But that corruption, should it come, would be likely to be caught, I suspect, as the read reliability went south and the file did not checksum. At that point, a modern OS should mark the file as corrupt. (At that point, one can try data recovery of the raw data.)

However, if this frequent-read issue was a problem, it seems like we would have considerable problems with frequently read files -- like frequently used OS or application files. Yes, code from program files is loaded into memory for running -- but, depending on a number of conditions and situations, it may not be cached long in human terms and there may be many repeated reads of a given file.

Here's a general article on error correction:

Error detection and correction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I found this brief passage, elsewhere:
Quote:
To verify the potential file system corruption, you can run "Chkdsk" that
will detect and repair varieties of problems such as cross-linked files and
directory errors. When the file system detects corruption, it logs an event
to the event log and you typically receive a message that prompts you to
run Chkdsk. Depending on the nature of the corruption, Chkdsk may or may
not be able to recover file data; however, Chkdsk returns the file system
to an internally consistent state.
... that succinctly describes what happens when the file system detects corruption. (From Re: file security slow )

Again, no system is foolproof. Mechanical systems wear. Magnetic charges fade. Software has bugs that show up sometimes only rarely. But if the sort of creeping, undetected file degradation of the sort posited by Tacos was common, we would by this time have plenty of evidence of it -- and because of the nature of our data systems, there would be serious hell to pay.

FWIW, I'm a database guy, so data integrity is pretty important to me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile Wow...

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

This thread is till going on ???!
LoL.heh
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Arrow

ALLWAYSYNC
Allway Sync: Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software

if you move too much or too big files & folders in WinXP, sometimes WinXP sp2/MCE or ICH7 chips just losses data.
hard drives overheat, etc...

diferent quality at playback, could mean your HDD is too slow or too filled,
HDTach 3.0.4
HdTach
or damaged or too overheated, or too much Memory resident softwares like Antivirus running at same time, or other softwares usign the hard drive at same time, like a virus or a worm, or some ethernet accessing your HDD.
Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir
or your soundcard wordclock is not good enough.
or your pci timing settings in your bios is wrong. or other BIOS settings.
or your soundcard has a IRQ sharing/conflict usually with video cards, or modem,
or drivers have a conflict. new drivers is not allways better.
msinfo32.exe
or your pc memory is wrong, incompatible or damaged.
download and install microsoft memory diagnostic.
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis
also diferent players, decode files and interact drivers diferent with the soundcard.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What degrades the quality is the playback of the files
@theblue1 sorry this was not clear enough. I wrote this outside my "serious computer nerd" section. In my serious mode, all technical statements of your last post are 100% agreeable to me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
lol

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL the file will be the same if you move it once or 45 000 times lol what are you on ? just click on it click cut or CTRL X and then paste or CTRL V
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ale ➡️
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL the file will be the same if you move it once or 45 000 times lol what are you on ? just click on it click cut or CTRL X and then paste or CTRL V
This entire thread is about misconceptions, my friend.

Pressing Ctrl-C Ctrl-V 45000 times will not move a single bit of the data (unless you add the effort of navigating to a different partition each time); it will just change the file where the information is stored which folder my audio file belongs to.

But: after pressing Ctrl-C Ctrl-V 45000 times the fingers of my left hand will be worn out to a degree that has an impact on my hearing, so my audio file will sound worse than before.

You can even say, by copying file A.mp3 45000 times (given, you do it manually and all by yourself!), the sound of file B.mp3 will be deteriorated. Try it out and keep us posted!
EDIT: And in case your keyboard survives the test: please tell me its brand and model name!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Moving Taco's around on GS when twisted..
📝 Reply