Quantcast
MadiXtreme, Mixpander, or HDSPe Madi for SSL Alpha Link? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MadiXtreme, Mixpander, or HDSPe Madi for SSL Alpha Link?
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wordclocking the combo

Hi there,
I would like to know if someone of you here had problems wordclocking the combo Alphalink AX MADI and RME HDSP(e), with a master clock generator like the Antelope OCX or a Big Ben.

Cheers,
Luca
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2112 ➡️
Hi there,
I would like to know if someone of you here had problems wordclocking the combo Alphalink AX MADI and RME HDSP(e), with a master clock generator like the Antelope OCX or a Big Ben.

Cheers,
Luca
Same here !
Old 23rd November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2112 ➡️
Hi there,

Cheers,
Luca
from what i read, the unit actually benefits greatly from a decent external clock.
Old 19th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
No Problem

Hello,

I am using the SSL Alphalink Madi SX with the RME HDSP Madi PCI and am clocking both with the Big Ben. I have no problems at all. In fact, they run very smoothly regardless of the startup choice, i.e. computer on first, then Big Ben, or vice versa. Things clock immediately.

I hope this helps.
Ray
Old 5th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergystudio ➡️
Hello,

I am using the SSL Alphalink Madi SX with the RME HDSP Madi PCI and am clocking both with the Big Ben. I have no problems at all. In fact, they run very smoothly regardless of the startup choice, i.e. computer on first, then Big Ben, or vice versa. Things clock immediately.

I hope this helps.
Ray

What DAW software are you running? And If you can, describe how the Big Ben improves the sound. Thx
Old 10th January 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic ➡️
What DAW software are you running? And If you can, describe how the Big Ben improves the sound. Thx
I am running Cubase 5 80% of the time, but have ProTools9 installed for the other producer in the studio. It's great that, with the decoupling of the hardware/software in PT, we are both able to use the same converters; the SSL Alphalink. The Big Ben clocks everything in the studio, either by word clock or AES or S/Pdif, depending on the interface. The biggest advantage is stereo imaging. Even without setting the soundfield for panning (left/right), EQing (up/down) or volume (in/out), the mix has more space for the respective instruments and are more clearly defined. Whether you use a Big Ben or not, it is useful to centrally clock all gear, and although I didn't test it, I might have even been satisfied with the Alphalink clocking all external gear. With that said, the Big Ben made a noticeable, audible and recognizable difference in the sound field. Some claim that it drastically improves the high end. I found the response from the Alphalink before and after the Big Ben through my Genelecs to be a huge improvement over my Firestudio, so I'd have been blown away either way.

I will echo what many have said...
If you've never tried an external clock, you should. You will not return it.
Old 11th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
SSL Alpha Link ?

Pass on the UK dealer where you got yours I am after the Alpha Link Ax thanks Tons

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red ➡️
so there is a pci (pci-x) version of the madi-card? i was under the impression there´s only pci-e? thanks
Old 11th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
For the money... SSl Aplha i an extreme well converter!! Don't forget the D-sub cables... that's a different story plus fragile.

RME as host card is preffered also there are some great free bonusses with that in metering and analysing. But the SSL madi works good enough as well.
📝 Reply