Quantcast
Latency compensation...is it really? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Latency compensation...is it really?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Latency compensation...is it really?

I downloaded the Mellowmuse ATA demo plug thinking it would be the end to my latency nightmares in PT LE. If I'm not mistaken, PT HD does the same type of latency compensation. It will add latency to match your highest latent track. So if your maximum latent track has 1000 samples of latency (just an example), all your tracks will have 1000 samples of latency.

So...is this really latency compensation? Adding more latency?

Seems to me this would be a better solution:

Track1 is reporting 64 samples of latency. The computer "virtually" slides all regions on that track back (to the left) 64 samples. In the edit window, you can't see this--that's why I say "virtually". Track2 is reporting 2 samples of latency. The computer "virutally" slides all regions on that track back 2 samples...and so on.

Wouldn't this be a better solution? Or am I missing something/out of my mind?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But in real terms that would mean sliding them back in time which is impossible.

Say track 3 has 1000 samples of latency in its plugins and all the rest have zero. When you press play the DAW has to wait 1000 samples to process track 3 before playing them all in sync no matter where track 3 has been shifted.

The way you are saying it would be okay if you rendered track 3 without latency compensation on and then shifted it back 1000 samples, but wouldn't work "live".
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman ➡️
But in real terms that would mean sliding them back in time which is impossible.
Ever heard of the flux capacitor?

I'm not saying move it back it time, but the computer should nudge audio regions back (behind the scenes) before you hit play, just as if you were to do it manually.

Seems like a better method to me and would be worthy of the title, latency compensation.
Old 26th January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun ➡️
Seems to me this would be a better solution:
Yea, there is! Mixing to a Summing box or console!
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yes, this is an option. But then you wouldn't be able to use the delay compensation when recording or monitoring an input.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…