Disk allocation in pt7.4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Disk allocation in pt7.4
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Disk allocation in pt7.4

Hi

Can I tell pro tools excactly which folder to put recorded files in using disk allocation rather than the normal 'audio' folder so that I can copy them onto my external drive after the session??

Thanks
Old 26th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kable ➡️
Hi

Can I tell pro tools excactly which folder to put recorded files in using disk allocation rather than the normal 'audio' folder so that I can copy them onto my external drive after the session??

Thanks
Yes. Just untick "create separate audio and fade file folders". Otherwise, wherever you choose to put the audio it'll create those folders within it (which is normally what you'd want).

Unless you've got a really good reason for doing this (eg needing to split a large project across more than one disk) it's a bad idea. Just leave them on your master audio drive, and copy the whole folder across. I don't see why you need the audio in a separate place to copy them onto your external drive - either use the internal audio drive for session+audio, or external drive for session+audio.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks psycho_monkey.

The reason I want to put the newly recorded audio files into a separate folder within the main song folder, is so I dont have to copy the whole session folder from the studio computer over to my external drive at the end of the session. Also my external is fat32! I can then just put the new files into the copy of the session thats on my external drive and edit them on my home system. Gonna save me a lot of time this way.

Cheers

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kable ➡️
Thanks psycho_monkey.

The reason I want to put the newly recorded audio files into a separate folder within the main song folder, is so I dont have to copy the whole session folder from the studio computer over to my external drive at the end of the session. Also my external is fat32! I can then just put the new files into the copy of the session thats on my external drive and edit them on my home system. Gonna save me a lot of time this way.

Cheers
if you use something like silverkeeper, you can just update the copy on your drive. Or just do it by file creation date - would be dead easy to do.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
if you use something like silverkeeper, you can just update the copy on your drive. Or just do it by file creation date - would be dead easy to do.
Cheers psycho_monkey. Yeah, I was looking for that kind of back-up software in this thread:

Transfering sessions

Super duper looked pretty good also, but in the mean time I was gonna try the 'by hand' method presuming I could get pro tools to put the audio files in a specific folder, and now that I know thats possible I was gonna give it a go. I will def get the software though as it seems the way to go in the long run.

Cheers
📝 Reply