Quantcast
Converters headroom - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converters headroom
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Converters headroom

I've been producing and mixing for years ITB.

I recently switched to hardware, I got an mpc 4000 and a motif XS...

Beats are banging harder, louder and clearer, the gain output of the mpc 4000 is powerful.

But when I record in my delta 1010, I need to turn down the gain really low to avoid clipping.

THEN, I need to, you know, boost the volume again, do a home mastering on the track to TRY to get the same loudness I had playing back the mpc.

Even after some careful processing, the sound is not as full, as large and as sweet as it was right off the mpc.

That really makes me think my converters must suck, because there is converters on my mpc and XS I know its not fully analog.

But converters being of high calibre on the mpc 4000, the same as on Akai Z samplers I think, maybe that's why it sounds better.

So what's the answer? Get better converters like apogee?

Does better converters have more headroom?

Because the sound I get right off the mpc is great, even without some detailed and advanced mixing.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Could be your gear output is +4dbu and the Delta input is -10dbv.
From what you described this is probably the reason.
See if you can change your gear to match somehow. Not sure about the imput level impedience of the Delta but if you can change your output level on your gear it'll be more what goes in comes out.

I have found mic'ing a vintage keyboard thru a suitable amp delivered better results than going direct in but your gear is fairly recent so you should be able to get an acceptable result going directly in.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
My concern is about how hot the signal can be on my mpc without clipping, and that I can't achieve the same result with my soundcard's inputs.

It can't take it as loud as my mpc does, it clips when it's recorded, but not when it plays back, even though I'm playing back at a volume that doesn't clip, and I'm monitoring through that same card.
๐Ÿ“ Reply